English Speaking Spanish Police

Cattwg

Following on from Don Madge's very useful post.

When in Oliva two winters ago, on the campsite notice board I saw a telephone number for English Speaking Spanish Police:: 902102112. (It ends in 112 so I assumed it to be factual).

I have (fortunately) not had reason to use the number and did not want to experiment with a false call.

I wondered if anyone else had come acros this number and if so could verify it.

Regards Cattwg. :-)

It's not exactly English speaking police.

This is the central telephone number to report a crime to the police.

Here's some more info in English.

http://www.policia.es/denuncia/denun_por_telefono_ingl.htm?reload_coolmenus

The procedure is you call that number, follow the instructions to get an English speaking operator.

They will take your details and details of the crime. They will then fax the details through to a police station near to where you're calling from.

You then have 48 hours to go to the local station and sign the report.

A very useful number for anyone visiting Spain who does not speak Spanish to keep with them.

One thing I would ask people to please bear in mind though; that crime rates in Spain are MUCH lower than in the UK according to the International Crime Survey.

You are FAR more likely to be burgled, robbed, mugged etc or to be the victim of a crime involving violence whilst there in the UK than here in Spain.

Hi,

I keep hearing people quote those statistics and do want to beleive them, but how do they relate to crime against UK citizens while in Spain, are they broken down so that type of information can be extracted, only we do hear a lot of reports of crimes being committed against UK citizens visiting Spain.

BGD - 2007-12-10 11:44 PM

A very useful number for anyone visiting Spain who does not speak Spanish to keep with them.

One thing I would ask people to please bear in mind though; that crime rates in Spain are MUCH lower than in the UK according to the International Crime Survey.

You are FAR more likely to be burgled, robbed, mugged etc or to be the victim of a crime involving violence whilst there in the UK than here in Spain.

Guest Tracker
BGD - 2007-12-10 11:44 PM

Absolutely right Bruce - but the trouble is that it is easier to get help and sort out any repairs and replacements in the UK due to an almost common language - apart from Yorkshire, Wales, Scotland and Merseyside that is.

Just a friendly word of warning for anyone having the need to talk to the Spanish police. Never assume that they do not understand English as most of them do. If they will not speak to you in English and you try to speak Spanish you will get much more help. This I have found out personally.

Sooty

Archived