insurance issues conversions

nightst0rm19

hi,

I have looked everywhere for answers to this but i cant find anything so if anyone can help.....

I am looking to buy or build a van conversion ( renault trafic fav at min)

My questions are

is it legaly essential to register as a camper rather than a van?

if the camper does not meet every requirment to be registered as a camper is it still legal to insure as a van? does this cause any problems with MOT?

My problem is i want to spend a year or two traveling outside UK and maybe outside of Europe i want a van conversion rather than a camper as it is more practical but as i have not been driving long and i am not over 25 insurance quotes are coming back alomst 2x the value of the van! i can never afford to pay that from cash i get fruit picking in spain!!, however for the same vehical as a van rather that a camper the insurance is less than half but small print is offering somthing like 30days forign travel cover a year and broker mut be informed before the van leaves the country.Do i need to legally register as a camper ?

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ??????

Hi

I converted my own van but it was about 15 years ago so my knowledge is probably out of date so won't offer any advice as I wouldn't want to confuse you. However there are a couple of sites where you will probably get a lot of useful info and help. In particular the self build motor caravan club www.sbmcc.co.uk. will I'm sure be able to offer advice on insurance as well as other stuff. There is also a forum www.campervanlife.com that has a section on self build.

Good luck

Jaz

hi as jasper said go to the sbmcc website and join the club the are very good i converted a sprinter 5 years ago and registered it as a motorcaravan it was cheaper to insure i use adrian flux who will insure as a van and give you 6 months to do the conversion they will require photos when finished ,i had no problem with the dvla re-registering as a m/c but i think they now want to see the vehicle. there are certain regs ie it must have cooking facilities and a 6ftx4ft bed are 2 but now there might be more sbmcc will advise good luck and dont forget put all the wiring in first

Hi,

I understand that any THIRD PARTY insurance in the EU will/must cover you for accidents occuring in any other EU state....but that doesn't apply to own damage. Strangely, I am finding that fully comp insurance is now cheaper than third party. ?????

Er....if you spend more than a few months in Europe, you MUST register the vehicle in that country. I understand that any EU insurer can insure you in any EU state....but finding somebody willing to do so is another matter. I wonder how UK truckers spending long periods in Europe get round that one?

Archived