Going to be new to Motorhomes

Caroline

Hi all

We are caravanners who in the future (Semi retirement) are looking to become Motorcaravanners and big time tourers, with sights on the Med, Eastern block, America (taking it with us) in both hot and cold weather. We like a Fixed bed, but would like advise on the type of van best for long term touring, is a drop down bed comfy, is a garage a good idea for bikes or will a rack on the outside of the van do, what about a small tow car, what are your thoughts on that?

(lol)

Welcome to the club !!!

If have not already taken a look, the hints and tips pages carry a lot of useful information.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=16

M/caravans are a very personal choice and a useful thing to do is to just build up a list of what you want, and do not want, and what you can live with. Then take a LONG wander around dealers, shows and talk to a few users if get the chance.

Good Luck

Rgds

hi caroline

what can I say - but - what an excellent decision.

before you finalise on types of van think about both weight and security aspects - as well as length restrictions in this country - what's legal in the US possibly isn't here there are maximum width restrictions.

you might also want to think about a motorised bike as a compromise.

Most of motorhoming is a compromise - just have to get it right.

We used to have a drop down bed - we found it comfortable and efficient - much better use of space than fixed bed - and dead easy to set up.

Hot and Cold weather - make sure all pipes are 'inside', and use butane - but then as caravanners you'd know that already.

We've progressively down sized over the years - still take same type of breaks - upto 4 weeks a couple of times a year plus weekend breaks - but can now also enjoy off the cuff days out as well as shopping trips.

B-)

Hi Caroline, and welcome.

I don't know enough about the various MH options around at the moment if buying new, but I can cerrtainly recommend buying second hand.

In my personal experience (others will of course have their own views) there is much better value-for-money to be had in buying a 2 or 3 year old MH.

Cycle rack v garage? We have our bikes on a rear mounted cycle rack, and find this ideal. It leaves lots more room elsewhere in the vehicle for all the other junk that you end up stuffing inside it.

Whatever you decide to get in the end, you're gonna love the lifestyle!!!

twooks - 2007-12-11 2:13 PM

hi caroline

before you finalise on types of van think about both weight and security aspects - as well as length restrictions in this country - what's legal in the US possibly isn't here there are maximum width restrictions.

We used to have a drop down bed - we found it comfortable and efficient - much better use of space than fixed bed - and dead easy to set up.

Hot and Cold weather - make sure all pipes are 'inside', and use butane - but then as caravanners you'd know that already.

We've progressively down sized over the years - still take same type of breaks - upto 4 weeks a couple of times a year plus weekend breaks - but can now also enjoy off the cuff days out as well as shopping trips.

B-)

surely you mean propane?

"When using gas Propane is essential. Do not use

Butane, which freezes at zero, 0 deg C."

Guest Tracker

surely you mean propane?

Er, not quite, it does not freeze but it will not 'gas off' from the liquid into a gaseous state as the temperature approaches freezing, which means that it's gets bloomin cold in the van!

panagah - 2007-12-11 3:24 PM

hi caroline

B-)

surely you mean propane?

Well actually butane doesn't freeze at 0 deg C it just doesn't boil to create gas. The gas, whether it be butane or propane is stored as a liquid under pressure. When you release some of the actual gas that is sitting on top the pressure drops slightly and causes the liquified gas to boil thereby generating more gas. Propane will boil, and therefore produce combustible gas, right down to about -42 deg C but butane will only boil above around about 2 deg C (as with all of these figures there is no exact figure as atmospheric pressure plays a part as does the exact make up of the gas).

Otherwise the point is correct, butane is only any use above 0-4 degrees Celsius, if you are using your 'van in temperatures lower than this you need to be using propane.

As for which type of van to go for, this is the 64,000 dollar question. What suits me will not necessarily be right for BGD or Twooks or yourselves. I believe the general consensus, from those who use them, is that drop down beds, as found in A class 'vans are very comfortable. I have to ask though, if you have a garage at the rear with a fixed bed above it and there is only two of you, why bother with a second permanent bed, even if it is a drop down? This last question is not directed at the original poster, or anyone else in particular, just an observation of my own.

The usual advice is to make three lists, one of items that are must have. One of items that are preferred and the third list of items that would be nice but are really just the icing on the cake so to speak. Then scour the ads and dealerships, and visit some shows if you can (NEC in February is ideal) to see what's available that ticks all the right boxes for you. Bear in mind licensing limitations that may apply to either of the drivers reference weights.

Towing a car? That is another contentious question. There are those who will say its a must have and there are those who will say its an unnecessary burden, personally I'm in the latter camp but then I don't use my motorhome for extended periods. Only you can decide whether its a requirement for you, just as the question of whether to buy new or second-hand.

It might be worth trying to break your questions down into more specific groups, that way it will be easier for people to give sensible answers to each of your queries.

D.

Archived