Servicing/Warranty

Tony Jones

I've never had a brand new vehicle before (and still haven't - until 1st March!), so pardon my ignorance here:

When I worked for a Ford dealer in the early 70's (yes, I know it was a long time ago - I was the little lad they pushed up exhaust pipes to check for leaks) it was a condition of the warranty that the vehicle be serviced by a franchised Ford dealer.

I've a vague recollection that this rule, along with all sorts of other restrictive practices, was made illegal sometime during the last 20 years, but I'm not sure of chapter and verse. So can anyone tell me, when I get my wonderful new van, will I:

(1) be able to have the servicing done by the perfectly competent, well-equipped, modern, but non-franchised garage I know and trust, within walking distance from my house, who sends me a reasonable bill after a civilised interval, or

(2) have to arrange to take it 12 miles to the nearest Ford dealer, where I don't know anyone, have someone in another car follow me, bring me back, and take me to collect it afterwards, at which point I will have to pay their exhorbitant rates before I can have my van back?

Gosh, if I'm free to do either it'll be tough to decide!

Tony

8-) You are able to have servicing done at any VAT registered operation so long as genuine parts are used. This does not apply if you have purchased an extended warranty-unlikely as you indicate it is a new vehicle. Warranty work will only be available from an suthorised outlet as only they will get reimbursement. ;-)

passionwagon - 2007-12-11 4:00 PM

8-) You are able to have servicing done at any VAT registered operation so long as genuine parts are used. This does not apply if you have purchased an extended warranty-unlikely as you indicate it is a new vehicle. Warranty work will only be available from an suthorised outlet as only they will get reimbursement. ;-)

Note the words "genuine parts" Tony and make sure even your trusted garage gives you the empty boxes as evidence when they've completed the work. Remember you've paid far more for that new van than you'll ever pay on servicing.

Vernon

Archived