Flood Damage Motorhomes

Timbo

Just found a site that has around 35 new Flood damage motorhomes for sale.

I have spoken to them and they have 86 in total!!!!

The majority of them are all new and unregistered.

The site is www.simpsosnalvage.com

They seem friendly on the phone.

Guest JudgeMental

One on Eb*y last week looked OK from a distance lol

water allegedly came up to floor level. did not bother to see what it went for....

they as wanting £23000 for a £29000 van

no guarantee form Fiat or manufacture .also bits missing.

my nabors  panel van was  in Sheffield flood over night .water did not get in to van floor but when van is parked on a hill water still runs out of skirts .he says  he as been under van on drilled small holes to let the water out.this is after six months .its allso strange that these vans turn up for sale after all these months .

Why should a MH which has had some water damage considered to be such a bad buy?

Depending on the amount of damage ie the time it was immersed in water, to what depth and the quality of the water, then what is the problem? Clean water when it dries off, leaves no smell or visible trace. Would you be able to identify a vehicle that had been in this situation, I doubt it.

They are advertised as having light water damage. A damp meter would be able to identify the extent of water penetration and superficial items such as furnishing can be replaced. If water has penetrated the laminations then that would be a different assessment.

I am unable to make any comment on the price asked as against the retail price. There would to be a considerable saving in order to take a project on like this.

If the MHs have not been registered would you no they had been sold off as damaged stock?

Tend to agree with sshortcircuit on this one. I would certainly consider buying one after doing a bit of investigation, being flood damaged wouldn't in itself put me off it would depend on the individual circumstances, after all all new Fiats have built in manufacturers flooding in the engine compartment! :-D :-D :-D

However in the case of these they would need to be somewhat lower in price, they don't represent good enough VFM in my view. For repairable salvage, which is what these are, I would not expect to pay more than 30 to 40% of their otherwise normal market value and at that sort of money would be worth any risk. It's all about balance, the sort of price these are being offered at is close to a nearly new second hand one, once its been driven away from the showroom and the nearly new second hand one would be easier to sell and retain a better value due to bias on the part of prospective later buyers.

Generally I believe the sellers of these are trying it on as there are others available at much lower prices, still not sufficiently low for me to entertain one though.

Bas

My biggest concerns with these flood affected 'vans are twofold. On the one hand a lot of the areas where flooding took place the water was contaminated with raw sewage.

Second worry is the wiring that has been exposed to the water, we all know how good the Italians are at electrics (or not :-S ), how reliable are the leccy bits under the floor going to be after a good dunking in (very) dirty water?

Other than that it would depend on how far up the 'van the level of water came. If it never got above the floor level then the furniture and upholstery should be ok but if it was above the floor level I wouldn't be giving odds on the floors delaminating.

D.

Guest Tracker

If you came across an older flood damaged Auto Sleeper with a solid marine ply floor and one piece fibreglass body it might be worth a go.

However maybe a new van with modern laminated side panels and with laminated floors where so much structural integrity depends on the rigidity of the built in furniture I would have severe reservations without a full structural survey and an exact note of where the water came up to and how long the van was immersed.

That said there is maybe potential for the unscrupulous to make a bob or two here plus getting 'free' use by buying one, refurbishing it and using it for a year or two and then selling it on before any long term issues manifest themselves. The real worry then is for future unsuspecting buyers.

I've had a shuftie at the site and at several of the vans' details, they vary in price quite considerably, some have around £10,000 off, others less. There appears to be quite a few bits missing from some, such as all the rear upholstery, including the mattress ... try getting one of those for a fixed lengthways bed! Why is it missing? Was it used in other vans for some reason, or was it damaged, not by the flood water but by the van sitting in the damp for days on end.

Even if the vans appear to be okay now and the water only came up to below the floor level and thereby didn't affect the furniture etc, you simply do not know how long they were sitting in the water and the damp could have penetrated quite a way into them. As damp is, as far as I am aware, the biggest enemy of a motorhome, I'd be extremely cautious of buying one. You really need know know what to look for and be prepared for some unexpected bills in the future. Add to this that there is no manufacturer's warranty, for either the base vehicle or the habitation, and you could really be sorry if you pay too much. I think the prices are too high bearing in mind the risks that the new owners would be taking.

Seeing as they won't show up on an HPI check though, how DO you tell if you are offered one of these for sale in the future? There must be some record somewhere surely????

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2007-12-15 6:35 PM

Seeing as they won't show up on an HPI check though, how DO you tell if you are offered one of these for sale in the future? There must be some record somewhere surely????

Caveat emptor, Mel - let the buyer beware!

Archived