Reversing signal

malc d

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or see!  There are always the blind.  It is the driver's responsibility. 

Shouting "get out of the way" is no good either. :-) 

You must be able to see what is behind you: that is why vehicles are fitted with mirrors. 

If the mirrors don't do the job, the driver must make appropriate arrangements to ensure the safety of those behind: warnings do not absolve him/her of that duty.

Clive - 2007-12-19 10:46 PM

I believe you will find that in the UK reversing alarms are only legal for Public Service Vehicles and then only if they are over a certain weight.

For example you can be prosecuted for "Vehicle or part in dangerous or defective condition" for having a "Reversing alarm on unauthorised vehicle".

Look at regulation 37(10)© of the 1986 Regulations which remain current.

That's what i was told, when i asked at work, if it were possible to have one fitted to the m/home

pete

• 1 month later...

Sorry that it has taken so long to get the information, I have been working overseas and someone else has dug out the necesarry documents for me.

Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations.

Audible warning instruments Regulation 37.

37/1/a

Subject to sub-paragraph b, every motor which has a maximum speed of more than 20 mph shall be fitted with a horn, not being a reversing alarm or a two tone horn.

37/1/b

Sub-paragraph a shall not apply to an agricultural motor vehicle, unless it is being driven at more than 20 mph.

37/2

Subject to paragraph 6 the sound emitted by any horn, other than a reversing alarm, a boarding aid alarm or a two tone horn, fitted to a wheeled vehicle first used on or after August 1, 1973 shall be continuous and uniform and not strident. [strident is defined in other documents as being greater than 55 decibels].

37/3

A reversing alarm or boarding aid alarm fitted to a wheeled vehicle shall not be strident.

37/10/c

"Reversing alarm" means a device fitted to a motor vehicle and designed to warn persons that the vehicle is reversing or is about to reverse.

Use of audible warning instruments Regulation 99.

99/1

Subject to the following paragraphs, no person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, any horn, gong bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle which is:-

99/1/a

stationery on a road, at any time, other than at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road; or

99/1/b

in motion on a restricted road, between 23:30 hours and 07:00 hours in the following morning.

99/2

The provisions of paragraph 1a do not apply in respect of the sounding of a reversing alarm when the vehicle to which it is fittedis about to move backwards and its engine is running or in respect of the sounding of a boarding aid alarm.

99/3

No person shall sound, or cause to permit or be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm or any boarding aid alarm fitted to a vehicle:-

99/3/a

unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000kg, a bus, engineering plant, a refuse vehicle or a works truck; or

99/3/b

if the sound of the alarm is likely to be confused with a sound emitted in the operation of a pedestrian crossing established, or having effect as if established, under part 3 of the 1984 act.

These are the only parts of the regulations concerning Audible Reversing Alarms the other parts of regulations 37 and 99 referring to horns, gongs, bells or sirens including car alarms.

From reading the regulations it appears that there is no legislation forbidding the fitting of an Audible Reversing Alerm but there is under 99/3/a and 99/3/b restriction of the use of the alarm on public highways and roads.

Hope that this clarifies the situation and meets the request to publish the relevant parts of the regulations on this forum thread.

Just a quick addition. The use of a Reversing Alarm on a non allowable vehicle constitutes a non endorsable offence DVLA code NE98.

KB.

Hi Paulni

A good blast of the airhorn soon shifts them! (lol)

Just thought I ought to point out that some people have hearing problems [my husband has had to cope with this since a teenager]. They do not ignore you. They have hearing loss at that particular frequency. Deafness can be like a lace doiley, deaf where there are holes but able to hear something when at another frequency.

My husband has been nearly killed in more than one pedestrian precinct by lorries who think they have priority over the pedestrians and drive behind the horn. It is not only old people who are hard of hearing, and they do not carry white walking sticks to indicate a problem.

We have to get along together.

After my experiences watching at a distance, but unable to attract his attention when he has his back to the vehicle, it is a sore point. *-)

Joyce

Archived