Ford Transit 07 water ingress

Don Madge

The important question is "Does it matter?"

The photos on the motorhomefacts forum show a RWD Mk 7 Transit with a longitudinal motor and the complaint seems to be that rain-water enters the engine compartment (presumably while the vehicle is stationary) and falls on to the motor causing corrosion. Well, that also happens on Mk 6 Transits, particularly if the vehicle is canted to the right, and the 'problem' is likely to be worse on FWD Transits with transverse motors. Can't say a bit of surface rust on a motor worries me, though I do admit to having sprayed WD-40 on the top of mine just to provide some additional protection.

Guest JudgeMental

Just looked at mine (new this year) Same gap as in photos, and when I put my hand up underneath wiper area it was soaking wet....

It has been standing since Tuesday when I dropped my son of somewhere, probably condensation. Will look closer when I have time, but I do not think there are signs of rust on engine *-)

My Mechanic noticed this fault on my Transit and yes it does matter when it comes to needing new injectors. The water ingress falls directly on the injectors causing fusion by rust.. He simply made an alumnium baffle plate that locates below the skirt of the bonnit and so is above the engine divirting the water away to both sides. I then puddled thin oil around the Injectors for a few weeks to counteract the rust. I will endeavour to take picture tomorrow of the baffle and post in this thread.

Ian

Derek Uzzell - 2007-12-14 9:34 AM

This is my take on the matter......and that goes for the Fiat X250 as well

My Fiat looks no worse than the photos I put up on MHF's ....can't reply to that tho as I have ran out of posts :'( ( edited my post a couple of times and used all of the generous amount of 5 posts 8-) I was a member of the old site and have been a member on the present one since it changed.

Anyway I'm not worried about the water ingress problems with my Fiat as I think it has been blown out of all proportion, all I have done to mine is put some waxoil around the Injectors, I may in time make a cover up for the injectors but as I said I'm not really bothered.

Anyone who have owned old Renault's Talbot's etc must of seen a rusty old diesel engine before??... most are still running!

I am really pleased with my Fiat based motorhome and will maintain it regardless....lets face it, it's in a different league when compered with previous incarnations and I would go as far as saying its the best looking van on the market today! well it is for me anyway .

Martyn ;-)

martkaz - 2007-12-14 8:56 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2007-12-14 9:34 AM

This is my take on the matter......and that goes for the Fiat X250 as well

My Fiat looks no worse than the photos I put up on MHF's ....can't reply to that tho as I have ran out of posts :'( ( edited my post a couple of times and used all of the generous amount of 5 posts 8-) I was a member of the old site and have been a member on the present one since it changed.

Anyway I'm not worried about the water ingress problems with my Fiat as I think it has been blown out of all proportion, all I have done to mine is put some waxoil around the Injectors, I may in time make a cover up for the injectors but as I said I'm not really bothered.

Anyone who have owned old Renault's Talbot's etc must of seen a rusty old diesel engine before??... most are still running!

I am really pleased with my Fiat based motorhome and will maintain it regardless....lets face it, it's in a different league when compered with previous incarnations and I would go as far as saying its the best looking van on the market today! well it is for me anyway .

Martyn ;-)

the main problem is the electrics, most m/homes, even well used ones, will be standing during the week allowing codensation and corrosion to build up, there have already been failings of the abs and wiper motor units, hence the recalls, as i,ve stated before on other threads, white van man probably won,t have a problem as the moisture will be evaporated but i believe m/homes will because of the above

Archived