Draughty Fiat Ducato

nwsxp50

Hi All, I have just bought a 2004 Hymer on a Ducato chassis. Is it possible to adjust the Fiat doors to stop the draughts. One driving along the motorway I can see the top of the doors vibrating on the seals . The draughts were not unexpected as I had read of bad sealing on Fiat doors. I now need to know how to fix the problem. I could weld the doors up like the General Lee but as I am no Daisy Duke ,there must be a better way. Please help solve the problem for me and others.

Hi,

I don't have problems with the tops of the doors but someone suggested that I put tape over the vent that runs down the inside edge of the door and it seems to work.

The vent I am talking about can be seen when you open the door its about 300mm long we just stuck some gaff tape over both of them e.g drivers and passengers and it appears to have stopped a lot of the draft that was around the floor area, albeit when it really gets cold we do drop the over cab bed section and have before now hung a blanket from the cab bed down to the floor to section off the cab area as the cab heater just dosen't seem able to cope with the habitation area as well as the cab

hope that helps

Brian

nwsxp50 - 2007-12-16 6:59 PM

Hi All, I have just bought a 2004 Hymer on a Ducato chassis. Is it possible to adjust the Fiat doors to stop the draughts. One driving along the motorway I can see the top of the doors vibrating on the seals . The draughts were not unexpected as I had read of bad sealing on Fiat doors. I now need to know how to fix the problem. I could weld the doors up like the General Lee but as I am no Daisy Duke ,there must be a better way. Please help solve the problem for me and others.

Guest Tracker

First, adjust the door catch striker plated to draw the door in as far as it will adjust.

Second, locate the bits where the door don't touch the rubber surround (a torch from outside in the dark will help) and then peel back the door rubber and bend the flange outwards towards the door (a wood block and lump hammer work well for this.)

Third, tape over the slots in the door that are just below the lock mechanism.

Fourth, tape over the holes in the interior door panel just below the door pocket.

Tracker - 2007-12-16 7:14 PM  Third, tape over the slots in the door that are just below the lock mechanism.

The reason these vents are there is to reduce the amount of condensation within the door cavity.  The vents allow air movement through the doors.  If they are blocked the air movement will be prevented, condensation will persist in the door cavity, and corrosion will be more likely.  If this happens, you may find any anti-corrosion warranty will be invalidated, insofar as it concerns the doors.

Block all air paths from inside to outside, and vice versa, by all means, but I don't think it is wise to negate the designed in the door cavity ventilation. 

What might be worthwhile, though a bit more of a fag to do, is to carefully remove the internal door handles, bins, and door lining, and look closely at the state of the sealing membrane just behind the lining.  If these have been cut by the converter for access to the cavity, they should be patched up with gaffer tape, or even removed and replaced with new.  Not expensive, only a few pounds. 

Look especially at the area behind the door speaker housing.  If you have speakers fitted in the doors, they'll probably provide the seal.  However, there seems to be two designs of the membrane.  One intended for doors with speakers fitted, which have wireways and an recess to accommodate the speaker cones, and the other for doors without speakers, with no provision for the cone or wires. 

If replacing, get the ones without the recess if you have no door speakers: otherwise, gaffer tape a sheet of polythene over the speaker recess to seal it.  Doing this will shut off one great route for draughts at around knee level.

I had the same problem with my Ducato cab, re gap at the top of the doors. The gap resulted in irritating wind noise and a draught.

I fitted self adhesive draught excluder around the top of both cab doors, and found it did improve matters.

Guest Tracker
peter - 2007-12-17 12:30 AM

I totally agree with what Brian say's above re taping over the vents. Not a good idea, IMO.

It depends how long you want to keep the van I suppose but speaking personally, and having been doing this for 13 years now I would rather stay warm than worry too much about door ventilation.

If it bothers you that much remove the tape when not in use and in summer after all wide masking or similar tape is cheap enough and access is easy enough!

The first talisman I did it on we kept for 6 years without any corrosion in the doors - perhaps aided by several generous squirts of old engine oil in the door cavities - even though the rest of the Talbot Express cab crumbled almost while we watched it!

Make sure you do somethig about the awful draught that comes up from the seat-belt side plastic housing as well, it's awful, I used to stuff a cusion over it whilst travelling. You also get quite a bit of air coming in from the bottom of the door windows between the glass and the plastic panels.

Archived