Can i pull a sledge with an a-frame?

vicwo

If you are thinking of helping out Santa, obviously to comply with the Christmas Sledge, Health and Safety (Supplemental) Regulations 2006 which came into force last Friday, the sledge will need:

3-point seat belts for all occupants

side impact protection system

4 airbags

roll-over bar

a one metre triangular, reflective warning sign on the rear

minimum public liability insurance of £50,000, 000

Criminal Record Bureau checks for all sledge occupants and helpers who must also all have a current first aid certificate.

Should be a piece of cake to organise in one week!

Bob

:-> :->

Usinmyknaus - 2007-12-18 11:21 AM

a one metre triangular, reflective warning sign on the rear

Depending on the number of reindeer involved, the sign may need to read "Long Vehicle," and some territories may insist that it be in the local language(s).

Also, the sledge may need its own braking system, and its weight must not exceed the "Gross Train Weight" stamped on the reindeers' rear ends.

The whole outfit may need Single Vehicle approval.

BUT ... the good news is, it's probably exempt from the LEZ regulations in London, as its emissions will not be of a type which can be measured by the usual equipment.

While in that area, you can save on the Congestion Charge if you keep above the level of the CCTV cameras.

Have a good trip!

vicwo - 2007-12-18 9:44 AM

I have a sledge to use at xmas can all the experts advise me if an a-frame is legal? Merry Xmas rudolf reindeer (lol)

I get the impression that none of you are taking this request for knowledge seriously.... let's have some respect for vicwo's question!!!

Merry Christmas all.

(lol)

Lee1st - 2007-12-18 1:01 PM

vicwo - 2007-12-18 9:44 AM

I have a sledge to use at xmas can all the experts advise me if an a-frame is legal? Merry Xmas rudolf reindeer (lol)

I get the impression that none of you are taking this request for knowledge seriously.... let's have some respect for vicwo's question!!!

Merry Christmas all.

(lol)

Well I for one was perfectly serious in my reply, I always used a piece of string tied between the front of the two runners to pull the sledge with. ;-)

D.

If you park the Sentinel at the top of the hill with plenty of coal for the fire you can go up and down all day using its winch. If the hill is steep enough you won,t even need to get of the sledge, keep all four feet well inboard though. Don,t forget the riding lights (red on the left) and slide on the left when in the UK

Guest JudgeMental

present delivery I believe falls under commercial regulations so a tachograph should be fitted to sleigh. As he can only operate for 8 hrs maximum on Christmas eve/day may I suggest he starts delivery in South West London....

This request was from Rudolph, who clearly needs no advice on general sledge pulling, but just on whether it is legal to use an A frame while doing this in UK.

I thought most answers unhelpful, and unlikely to contribute to Santa's safe and legal progress among our homes on Christmas night.

The correct answer, surely, is that as Santa doesn't use the roads for his deliveries, the use of an A frame will be irrelevant, and the sledge can be pulled by any means that is kind to reindeer.

Even better, is that since the sledge is not, technically, an aircraft, air traffic restrictions won't apply either.

The further benefit from both the foregoing is that, being in charge of what is neither a road vehicle nor an aircraft, Santa will be completely free to imbibe as much as he wishes of the traditional hospitality we leave out for him.

However, do please remind him (on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive) to be especially careful on roofs after about the fourth glass of sherry!

'Sfunny, I could havwe sworn it was Vicwo who posted the original question. I also think, sage advice notwithstanding, that we ought to not let ourselves get confused about the mode of transport in question, towhit one sledge not sleigh. As far as I can ascertain Santa uses a sleigh not a sledge. The former is usually pulled by livestock, frequently reindeer whiel the latter is usually propelled by its user.

D.

Guest Tracker
W3526602 - 2007-12-18 4:21 PM

Hi,

First things first.....are you allowed to drag something without wheels on a public road? Presumably the council would not want you to damage there new tarmac....so what difference does a bit of snow make. Legally, I mean.

New Tarmac? Not in Pembrokeshire me 'andsome!

I suppose the nearer you get to 'Rhoddri's Club' the more likely you are to get new roads, better healthcare, good schools, etc. etc.?

Dave Newell - 2007-12-19 1:30 PM 'Sfunny, I could havwe sworn it was Vicwo who posted the original question. I also think, sage advice notwithstanding, that we ought to not let ourselves get confused about the mode of transport in question, towhit one sledge not sleigh. As far as I can ascertain Santa uses a sleigh not a sledge. The former is usually pulled by livestock, frequently reindeer whiel the latter is usually propelled by its user. D.

Could be Dave, could be. 

However, I took "Merry Xmas rudolf reindeer" to be the actual signature, meaning that Rudolph had sneaked onto Vic's computer. 

Surely you all knew Vic is Santa........................didn't you?  :-)

Hi,

Somewhere in case law it was decided that if a "reasonable man" would consider something not a road going vehicle, then it would not be subject to normal RTA legislation. So, for instance, a Formula One car might be driven on the road with impunity, the same would not apply to a banger racing hot-rod. Hmmmm, you might expect to see a sledge on the road in UK, but probably not a sleigh.....see previous definitions.

But then again, some rag students were prosecuted for not having insurance on their motorised setee.

Best leave control of the sleigh to a young lad....ie, below the age of Criminal Liability.

Archived