What Small Car?

Caroline

Hi Caroline.

I have just brought a new Peugeot 107 to replace my 407 which I intend to tow on a trailer. I have owned it for a month now and have been very impressed especially following the superb 407. I have looked at the Smart but dismissed it purely on financial ground ( a small car for a lot of money).the C1 & Toyota Aygo are same car with different badging. Take a test drive, nothing to loose.

Smart Car,

I looked into the issue of a Smart Car and downed it when I found it was around 14/15 cwt, the same weight as some small 4 doors.

Where's that weight about ???? mut be in the chassis.

The only way I can see people towing it is due to its shortness, but you can basically only carry two people.

Good luck,

Gordon.

Guest JudgeMental
pmitic - 2007-12-18 3:39 PM

Hi Caroline.

I have just brought a new Peugeot 107 to replace my 407 which I intend to tow on a trailer. I have owned it for a month now and have been very impressed especially following the superb 407. I have looked at the Smart but dismissed it purely on financial ground ( a small car for a lot of money).the C1 & Toyota Aygo are same car with different badging. Take a test drive, nothing to loose.

Paul, do you know the empty weight of car. and weight of perspective trailer?

As this is what I will probably get in a year or two when I get a low roof camper with better towing capacity.... (ford only 1000 kg)

Wingpete - 2007-12-18 3:40 PM

If the trailer is an openone, go for a Mottis Minor. No raod tax to pay!

If going into a covered trailer (my choice) look at the Aixam, as being very cheap to run and non rusting, basic comforts but good for towns.

I had Mottis Minor once brilliant car. Bit heavy for an "A" frame though I would have thought.

Recently bought a Peugeot 107 for my wife, very impressed, £35 VED, 60+mpg and 100mph if you want, certainly easy cruise at 70. It does not feel like or drive like a small car is comfortable, roomy and reasonable deals are available ours was under £5600. The Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo as has been said are the same car with slight styling differences and colours, they are all made in the same factory Peugeot/ Citroen in Checkoslovacia. The good thing is you can play the three dealers off against one another to get the best deal.

Bas

Edit P.S. We got several 'extras' as well as over £1250 off the list price!

How about a Fiat Panda,I bought one a year ago to tow on a Brian James trailer.One benefit is that I can reverse it easier than my single axel motorbike trailer because it is a double axle.As far as the car is concerned I love it,have just come up to 12000 miles no problems & normal use is 48 per gal & long runs up to 54.With 4 doors we can carry company when necessary not quite so much space as bigger cars but adequate for the 2 of us & a pleasure to drive even tho Ive had many larger more luxuriouse cars in the past.

I agree,

Fiat Panda diesel. Good VFM. Chain driven camshaft engine designed in partnership with General Motors. Just a tad over six grand on the road when purchased via the web. Only downside is the dustbin styling which forms the centre of the front console.

If you wait a bit the new Vauxhall Agila may tempt you but the price will be nearer ten grand for something very similar to the Panda with the same drive unit.

Archived