LPG generator not starting

wints

I've got an lpg gennie on my mirage 6000. At the moment it won't start. During the summer months it started quite readily and run well.

I had this same problem last winter but forgot about it until now.

The lpg feed for the gennie comes from the high pressure side (before the regulator) on my underslung bulk tank.

I've read on an 'lpg conversion for cars forum' that if the pressure is low in the tank this may affect the running of an engine.

Any ideas anyone.

regards

Allen

If the pressure in the tank is low you're about to run out of gas altogether. As long as their is liquified gas in the tank then the pressure will remian fairly constant at around 100psi, it only falls when the liquified gas has been used up and there is nowt but gaseous gas in the tank.

As for your starting problem, I'd hazard a guess at the mixture being a tad weak perhaps. Are you using the choke to start it?

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-12-18 4:17 PM

As for your starting problem, I'd hazard a guess at the mixture being a tad weak perhaps. Are you using the choke to start it?

D.

It's a remote starter panel, located in the van. Press red button to energise circuit, white button to switch choke solenoid on (and I can hear a click so something is happening there), then green (I think that's the colour) to turn the motor. The gennie fires up for approx 5 seconds then dies. It definetly fires as I can smell the exhaust fumes (not that it is that smelly when I run it in warmer climes).

There is a 230 volt confirmation light on the panel which fails to light up in this period (it does when running properly).

I also read somewhere that in very cold weather it's possible that a globule of 'waxy stuff' may form in the lpg.

regards

Allen

Guest Tracker

Grasping at straws maybe as I don't know anything about lpg fuelled engines?

Many moons ago when motor bike and outboard engines were beggars to start when very cold, taking the spark plug out and heating it on the gas ring sometimes gave just enough heat in the combustion chamber to enable it to fire up. Just make sure you wear gloves when handling a hot plug!

That said if your motor fires and then dies it does sound like a fuel crisis, rather than ignition, and I don't suppose there could be plasticiser residue from high pressure rubber hoses anywhere in the system could there, or a kink in a hose?

• 2 weeks later...

I waited till the weather warmed a little then burned off the remaining gas in the bulk tank. My theory was that perhaps the remaining dregs in the tank mainly consisted of butane (as autogas is not pure propane) and as the gas supply pipe is run to the genny externally then maybe the butane element was causing a blockage due to the very cold temps (hovered around zero for several days).

Anyway, I filled up today and the genny started 3rd push of the button but only ran for a couple of mins then died. This happened 3 times, also the '230 v confirm led' on the genny start panel did not light. On the 4 th try the genny started as before but this time I plugged in a heater and the 230 v led lit & the genny ran for 15 mins until I switched it off. I also ran the roof air con to get that compressor going.

I'll try starting it again this coming w/e as there is cold weather forecast.

regards

Allen

I've started the genny again today. No problem fired up 2nd go and ran till I switched off 10 mins later. Temp at 3 pm was zero, and in the wind felt colder.

Bulk gas tank now full = loads of pressure.

When it wouldn't start the tank was almost empty although there was enough to run a gas ring for a few hours. I'd would think that an almost empty tank would have less pressure in it, and maybe not enough for the genny to start.

Or maybe it was the butane dregs (now burnt off) that affected the externally run genny gas feed pipe.

Or maybe it was half-day closing in Skipton (chaos theory).

Who knows ?

It's been good sharing with all of you, and thanks to all that replied.

regards

Allen

Hi Allen, thanks for getting back to us. Its more likely to be either the butane or the chaos theory than low pressure. LPG (liquified petroleum gas) is stored in a tank as liquid with gaseous gas on top at a pressure of around 100psi (assuming propane 'cos actually butane is also a form of LPG). when you draw off some gaseous gas the pressure will drop slightly and the liquid gas will boil to create more gaseous gas and the pressure will stabilize back to around 100psi. As long as there is liquid gas in the tank the pressure will remain at close to 100psi. The only time a low quantity of gas in the tank will have the effect you describe is when all the liquified gas has been used up and there is only gaseous gas left, from here on the pressure will drop until there is no significant quantity of gas in any form left.

D.

Archived