Blackpool Parking

RoyH

Hi All,

Anyone else seen the bit in Grapevine page 14/15 of new January issue of C&CC mag. Quote from Councillor Tim Ashton of Fylde Borough Council

"We certainly welcome responsible motohome owners. Although we do not currently allow motorhomes to park on our car parks" You can use the coach parks though. I wonder what sort of welcome the coach drivers would give you.

Well we all know what to do then when we come to the M55 junction with the M6, don't turn left (or right if you're coming south)

Merry Christmas.

Guest Le Thou
RoyH - 2007-12-21 8:53 PM

Hi All,

Anyone else seen the bit in Grapevine page 14/15 of new January issue of C&CC mag. Quote from Councillor Tim Ashton of Fylde Borough Council

"We certainly welcome responsible motohome owners. Although we do not currently allow motorhomes to park on our car parks" You can use the coach parks though. I wonder what sort of welcome the coach drivers would give you.

Well we all know what to do then when we come to the M55 junction with the M6, don't turn left (or right if you're coming south)

Merry Christmas.

We live between Blackpool and Southport and for the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to go to Blackpool....IT'S AWFUL, make the journey to the CC site at Southport its a lovely seaside town very clean and a shoppers paradise with a lovely stroll down Lord St.

Merry Christmas

Having been to Blackpool a couple of years ago for the lights I have to say I'm not tempted to go back. As Le Thou said, Southport is much better.

However, as I mentioned on a thread some time ago, Blackpool is not in the Fylde BC area (and nor, incidentally, is Southport) and has a different - not necessarily better attitude - to MH parking.

See Here and you will see that Fylde BC has modified its attitude following constructive approaches from MH owners.

Graham

Guest Le Thou

It has survived because it has "The Golden Mile" that has hundreds of slot machines, kiss me quick hat stalls, 3 piers again with 10p slot machines , bars and nightclubs that cater for stag and hen nights, tacky B&B rooms, candy floss toffee apples and cruel donkey rides on the beach that should have been banned decades ago because of animal cruelty,n probably one of the last resorts in the UK that still uses deckchairs, and when swimming in the sea you are just going through the "motions" .........yes it has survived , God Bless Blackpool!!

You really need to get out more...as I said before it is a s**t hole

As sshortcircuit says if Blackpool was that bad how come it is the number one seaside resort in the uk. (number of visitors). Also if Southport has plenty of shops surely Blackpool has many more and not all Tat shops.

I would not spend a holiday in Blackpool but for a day out it is not all bad, it has a fantastic Chinese restaurant, the Mandarin, think it has been in the same place for 50 years. Car parking is not bad at £1.50 for 4 hours and £2 for 8 hours in the Talbot road bus station.

Motohome parking can be found by driving up the prom direction Fleetwood. Think the first left turn brings you onto a road where normaly motohomes can be found. Last time we were there motorhomes were arriving and looked like for the night. Spoke to some who said the police came past on a regular basis but just waved.

Try Blackpool it is not all bad.

Sooty 10

Le Thou - 2007-12-21 11:02 PM

You really need to get out more...as I said before it is a s**t hole

Oh dear. Pretty sad when you end up a quite good reply with a childish remark.

Walked down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh last weekend. Its full of tat shops catering for the numerous visitors. That does not say the rest of Edinburgh is the same. Similarly with Blackpool

When you go to Blackpool yu have to remember what you are going for.

You are not going for Educational purposes

You are not going because of it's wonderful Museums

You are not going because of it's Architetural delights

You are going to relax and slip back into your silly childhood days of acting daft and to get wet and cold, everyone knows this before they set out don't they??.

By the way I thought the standard/quality of the lights has been slipping for a few years now, anyone agree

I'm with Le Thou on this, I think it's a dreadful place. I went (reluctantly) there for a friends stag night and I vowed never to set foot in the place again. I distinctly remember the pavements being covered in grease and vomit, disgusting. I also recall being charged 50p to go into pubs. this was to contribute towards the "security" on offer. Each to their own but I struggle to find anything to like about it, even the Caravan Club site is a heck of a trek into the town, hmm, that probably explains why there are almost always vacancies...

Martyn (Not a B'pool fan) :D

I think you should only go to Blackpool once every 5 years or so. That way your brain has wiped out the awful things and you just remember the lights, the donuts, the waffles, the fish & chips and having a laugh at the laughing clown in the fair. Oh, and the trams.

As has been said, it isn't a cultural oasis!

Yep Blackpool is super tacky.

But it's survived simply because it's great. It's so tacky you know what your getting.

It's survived because of the pleasure beach with excellent rollercoasters,

But blackpool is super tacky,

It, survived because 10 weeks per year it puts on lights that stretch a long way, again tacky but you can not resist to go and see them.

It's full of everytype of person, CHAV to Class.

It survives purely on it's reputatuion, and

for some reason my kids love it?

I know not why?

but they do.

As for Motorhome parking, there is plenty of parking in Blackpool along the seafront if your lucky.

Guest Le Thou
twooks - 2007-12-22 3:23 PM

it's also good in that short period where it is 'out of season' we used to do our xmas shopping there.

and has been said previously - Blackpool isn't the Fylde

B-)

There are less shops per square mile that in any town in Lancashire, the kids love it becuse it's so tacky and sorry twooks Blackpool is under the wing of the Fylde borough so it is on the Fylde, it's actually on the Fylde coast that starts at Lytham St.Annes and goes as far north as Fleetwood.

Le Thou - 2007-12-23 1:46 PM

sorry twooks Blackpool is under the wing of the Fylde borough so it is on the Fylde, it's actually on the Fylde coast that starts at Lytham St.Annes and goes as far north as Fleetwood.

Sorry Le Thou but that's not the case. Blackpool Council is a separate entity from Fylde Borough Council.

Graham

As a sandgrown 'un, I shall have to defend my home town.

As Graham says Blackpool has its own Town Council, always has done and fights very hard for its independence. Yes the front is tacky, always has been and always seems to know what the majority of its visitors want.

Blackpool has no pretensions and the vast majority of visitors know exactly what there're going to get when they get there.

I grew up in Blackpool away from the front near Stanley Park, another world entirely and I still can't put money in slot machine nor spend money at fairs cos it was drilled in me so much that those attractions were there to fleece the holidaymakers.

Still there's nothing like a stroll along the Golden Mile or around the Pleasure Beach to see people enjoying themselves or along the cliffs at Bispham to see the lights. Yes its very different and I wouldn't want to go there every week but once in a while its interesting!

No and I wouldn't like to fly with the masses to Majorca or some of the Greek isles or benidorm or wherever but you know what you're getting!

Blackpool and the surrounding area have some lovely places to see and visit even where you can get away from the crowds.

In relation to the more ungracious comments, its suprising how many of our seaside towns have run down areas and its surprising how many of them are where there are many visitors.

Finally to get back to the tread there are lots of places to park around Blackpool, on the front or just away from it,

alan

Guest Tracker

Who is to say what is tacky and what is not?

It is only a matter of individual opinion.

Blackpool's attractions are not to my taste but I would not insult the town because of that.

There are many people who love what Blackpool has to offer - are they all wrong then?

There are many towns far worse than Blackpool but I will not insult them on here either.

Why cannot people post a point of view without being insulting?

Happy Christmas everyone - why even Mr Scrooge!

Fylde Borough Council have banned motorhomes from all of their car parks, you are able to park only on the roadside, although the road markings have been narrowed, making parking very difficult for those with a coachbuilt van. We still visit Lytham St Annes regularly because we like the area but don't really enjoy parking on the road compared to parking in a proper car park, we cannot understand why the Council have come to this decision.

Dawn.

IHTIOR - 2007-12-27 11:17 PM

Fylde Borough Council have banned motorhomes from all of their car parks, you are able to park only on the roadside, although the road markings have been narrowed, making parking very difficult for those with a coachbuilt van. We still visit Lytham St Annes regularly because we like the area but don't really enjoy parking on the road compared to parking in a proper car park, we cannot understand why the Council have come to this decision.

Dawn.

As I mentioned in a post on this thread last Friday, Fylde BC has modified its attitude following constructive approaches from MH owners. See Here for details.

A good example of what can happen when people abuse facilities provided and what, conversely, can be achieved when people approach councils constructively.

Graham

twooks - 2007-12-28 3:08 PM

well done G

I can't take the credit Jackie - as mentioned in the Fylde entry it was CP (a user of the web site) who contacted the council.

twooks - 2007-12-28 3:08 PM

there doesn't seem to be any reference to the northern bit of the coast, presumably the 'road' side parking is still ok?

The council has said "There are also many on street parking areas and the council have no objections to you using these bays as long as any limited waiting times are adhered to." - which is the same as any other motorist so fair enough to me.

Graham

true G but you deserve the credit for starting up the site :-D [whaddacreep!]

we used to park on what was sort of 'spare land' an old road than ran behind the tram tracks and next to the shore near Cleveleys area, and loads of street parking in Fleetwood.

that area in Cleveleys always seemed ripe for some 'landscaping' and blocking off - and so preventing us from parking.

B-)

Archived