American RV Licence Requirement

Guest Mick P

It has been several weeks since the wife and I viewed for the very first time an American RV. It is our intention to sell our house and buy such a vehicle. Since this date I have now know of vehicles such as Damon, Georgie Boy,Fleetwood and Allegro, to name just a few. Thought British Leyland made Allegro's? LOL Seriously though information on these vehicles is very confusing when you know so little about them. To try and learn a little more about ARV's I have viewed various manufacturers and dealers web sites as well as purchasing August & Sept issues of MMM. What I find very fustrating,confusing and possibly time wasting,both for myself and a potential seller are that vehicles are not advertised together with the driving licencing requirements. This very small piece of information I think can save both parties a lot of wasted time and effort if known. What is the point of giving details of air conditioning,slide-outs,sat nav systems and other luxuries in an advert if you cannot legally drive it on a car licence? I now only consider a vehicle if this information is displayed. So could I please ask all dealers and private sellers to review their web sites,forecourt displays and magazine advertisements to include this very piece of information. Thank You.

Guest Roy Hamilton
I doubt if you would get them to commit themselves, it's up to YOU to make sure that that you can legally drive it. One thing to check is the width, vehicles can be wider in the Land of the Free than what I believe to be legal in Europe (2.55mtr) and you can be caught out here very easily on imported rigs.

I'm sure American RVs are great in the new countries, where roads are much wider than in the old countries. While I am sure it is possible to get an RV down a Devon lane, it is the sort of pain in the butt I can do without. Ponder this: RVs account for maybe one per cent of the UK motor-home population, but at least a third of the "for sale" adverts in MMM and its competitors.

Hi getting an RV down a Devon lane should not be a problem as they are generally the same size if not smaller than a public bus/coach, and shorter than a car and caravan combination1 I own such a vehicle and it's been a bit tight sometimes, but with careful driving and some consideration from other drivers we have survived. Regards to licence requirements I have spoken to several dealers who have given conflicting answers. A couple said it was a "grey area" but I am sure in the event of an accident the insurance company would very quickly sort this grey area out! ( nice denying of liability due to incorrect licence) I think the law is quite clear with no exceptions for "motorcaravans" If the gross weight is in excess of 7500kgs an LGV licence is required! The gross and axel weights of an RV is nearly always clearly displayed (albeit in lbs) some where around the drivers seat, mine is on the sidewall above the door. The reason so many RVs are advertised these days I am sure is simply people trying to make easy money by importing them, usually an RV is being sold for the same amount if not more in £'s as it can be bought in USA in $ and at an exchange rate of 1.80 even allowing for shipping, duties etc still leaves a nice earner! Some are even advertised before they are bought/imported! Pat

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote this posting in the hope that someone from MMM might read it an place a small message in say the letter page of the magazine? Roy you are quite right in saying that it is up to the purchaser to make sure that you can legally drive a particular vehicle.You suggest checking the width,surely to do that the width would have to be given in the advert? The simple bit of information I am asking sellers to add to their advertisements would rule out wasted journeys and telephone calls.

• 2 weeks later...
Mick Regarding width there are only 3 different widths available in A-class RVs. 96 inches - fully legal in Europe 100.5 inches - fully legal in Europe 102 inches - illegal in Europe 96'' was the standard until a few years ago. 100.5'' is the "new" universally acceptable width and 102'' is the US standard now. Regarding weight of RVs experience will allow you to make very accurate assessments as to whether a rig is over or under the 7.5 tonne "threshold" just by reading the advert. Honestly, it's true. Regards Neal

Archived