MMM Buyers Guide

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

This is a handy feature of MMM but it seems to have remained unchanged for many years in spite of the appearance of lots of new layouts and innovations.

Before asking Warners to revise the headers and columns, I wondered whether anyone else would like to add their ideas to my own preliminary thoughts?

Would they consider -

Combine the two columns marked 'side entry' and 'rear entry' and instead of ticks or crosses enter 'O' for Offside, 'N' for Nearside, 'R' for Rear and 'B' for Both side and rear doors (as in panel vans).

The 'free' column could then be used to denote 'fixed bed' and using the letters 'L' for Longways, 'T' for Transverse and 'I' for Island would be very helpful to identify which sort of fixed bed.

Combine the two columns for 'oven' and 'grill' and denote which by means of the letters 'O' for Oven, 'G' for Grill and 'B' for Both.

The free column could then be used to denote the type of lounge/diner using 'H' for half dinette, 'L' for L shaped, 'P' for Pullman style, 'I' for two Inward facing bench seats, 'U' for U shaped rear lounge and 'M' for More than one seating area.

Combine the 'single beds' and 'double beds' column and denote which by means of 'S' for single beds, 'D' for Double beds or 'B' for both.

This would release another column which could perhaps be used to denote 'G' for Gas heating or 'D' for Diesel heating.

Alter the 'LHD only' column to show 'R' for RHD, 'L' for LHD or 'E' for either (in the very rare case that a choice exists).

This would mean minimal restructuring for Warners but would convey so much more essential information to the rest of us in our hunt for the ideal layout.

I do agree that does make more sense and would help to make the table easier to read... the only problem I see is where to put the "legend" that explains what each letter in each column denotes. Sure, it should be pretty self explanatory, but I'm sure it will confuse someone.

i.e. is it obvious that a "B" in the Oven/Grill column means "both"? ...without having to state it.  Just get the feeling that the space freed up would be taken trying to explain it.

Guest Tracker
docted - 2007-12-28 5:35 PM

Tracker

Why don't you make up a buyers guide that you would like and submit it to the editor for his consideration.

Thanks for that very helpful idea Eddie but I, like all other readers and subscribers, do not have access to all the data from all the makers and importers - as supplied to Warners by all those makers and importers!

Tracker - 2007-12-30 1:46 PM

docted - 2007-12-28 5:35 PM

Tracker

Why don't you make up a buyers guide that you would like and submit it to the editor for his consideration.

Thanks for that very helpful idea Eddie but I, like all other readers and subscribers, do not have access to all the data from all the makers and importers - as supplied to Warners by all those makers and importers!

So copy it from the existing buyers guide, you're only trying to demonstrate your idea after all.

D.

Thanks for your input into the buyers guide. We are already in the process of changing it completely for the March issue (on sale at the NEC show or from your local newsagent on 28 Feb) and look forward to your comments when you see it.

We will be covering layouts and washrooms more comprehensively, hoping to provide more information in an easier-to-read format.

happy new year

Rachel

Guest Tracker

Thanks for that Rachel - from this time forward forever known as Dinkydot whenever I see you in MMM!

Are great minds thinking alike or will it be something completely different?

It will be a complete redesign offering most of the same fields like weights and dimensions. But we have removed some of the redundant columns that no longer apply to modern motorhomes as well as those that generally apply to all.

We will endeavour to offer more detail like the price of auto options and the number and format of beds. And by losing some of the irrelevant fields it has given us more space to offer an indication of layout, engine power and things like chassis upgrades.

Layout is one of the most important factors when buying a motorhome and we hope to help by offering more info of this type.

Regards

Rachel

Guest Tracker

Thanks for that Rachel and I do hope that everyone agrees on the redundant columns as one man's redundant can (and probably will!) be another man's essential!

In my humble view, things like water and gas capacities that are difficult to change are in the need to know category but things that can be easily improved - like leisure battery capacity and swivel seats could be regarded as non essential in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts - or is it now too late for input?

Richard.

PS. I think that in general the MMM team do a fine job (grovel grovel) and I wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.

There will always be certain topics that are of no interest to many of us but by and large the content is well balanced - with the exception of site reviews! These seem to be firmly focused on the two main clubs and information about low cost sites and free overnight parking for the true nomads amongst us is a bit thin on the ground.

But that's just my view?

Dinkydot - 2008-01-03 10:34 AM

It will be a complete redesign offering most of the same fields like weights and dimensions. But we have removed some of the redundant columns that no longer apply to modern motorhomes as well as those that generally apply to all.

Rachel,

Please don't delete Imperial measurements from the 'New' buyers guide, It keeps some of 'us oldies' sane when looking for a new Van.

I had noticed that some models that were 'no longer made' were still listed in the buyers guide, the Autosleeper Talisman is still listed but the 'New Warwick' isn't. as just one example.

I had put this down to Suzanne Dilley going back to Newspapers (good luck Suzanne !! You did a grand job over the years.)

I look foward to the 'New' Buyers Guide.

Best Wishes for the new Year all at MMM!!!.

:D :D

Richard/Tracker,

Regarding MMM's sites content, I believe the new 'Escape' guide which accompanies the February edition will be a major step forward in this respect.

Comments, feedback and sites recommendations are always very welcome at escape@warnersgroup.co.uk

Happy New Year

M

Guest Tracker
Rayjsj - 2008-01-03 7:58 PM

Please don't delete Imperial measurements from the 'New' buyers guide, It keeps some of 'us oldies' sane when looking for a new Van.

I had noticed that some models that were 'no longer made' were still listed in the buyers guide, the Autosleeper Talisman is still listed but the 'New Warwick' isn't. as just one example.

I had put this down to Suzanne Dilley going back to Newspapers (good luck Suzanne !! You did a grand job over the years.)

I look foward to the 'New' Buyers Guide.

Best Wishes for the new Year all at MMM!!!.

:D :D

I agree about imperial measurements but I can cope with metric if the majority say they prefer it - do they?

Models no longer made may still be available new at a few dealers?

It will be a sad day when the Talisman/Executive is gone forever - some of the finest conversions ever made in my view.

How far 'way out West' is 'way out West' Ray - as far as Pembroke?

Guest Tracker
Rayjsj - 2008-01-06 8:27 PM

Rich,

Further than Pembroke, over the Cleddau,over the Preseli's to Fishguard. (St.Davids would be further west,but the houses were too pricey there !) Regards Ray :D

Ray,

We too like Fishguard - have you met Hugh Pugh yet - and we only ended up in Pembroke because we got a great detached bungalow with lots of parking and great view for the price of a semi in Saundersfoot!

Guest Tracker
Tony Jones - 2008-01-07 10:48 AM

Tracker - 2008-01-07 10:35 AM

We too like Fishguard - have you met Hugh Pugh yet

The fireman?

No Tony, the famous TV reporter!

Not even Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub because they all live in Trumpton not Fishguard!

Archived