Fixing TomToms

empress

We originally had a TomTom 700 which unfortunately had a habit of falling off the windscreen when used with the original TomTom windscreen mount - luckily with no damage.

The windscreen on our A-Class was in any event too far away from the passenger/driver to make it practical to see the screen. We solved the problem when we were able to obtain a Garmin accessory (a beanbag on which we could mount the TomTom and place it on the dashboard or passenger's table/lap.) It was great.

Now we have bought a TomTom 720T and it seems our lovely Garmin accessory will not fit. Has anyone seen a similar accessary to our beanbag and, in any event, how do people get around the distant windscreen problem? The sticker mounts also leave nasty marks on the screen - a clue to the ownership of a navigation system for any potential thief.

Empress :-(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I bought my PDA holder it came with a black plastic disc, sticky tape on the underside, shiny and clean on the top. This is stuck to the dashboard at a reasonable distance from the screen. The holder (c/w PDA) is 'suckered' onto this disc enabling easy viewing by me and 't'other navigator'.

No tell tale marks on screen, and I always remove the lot when stopping.

regards

Allen

I have made a mount for my Tom Tom from some perspex which I heated with a hot air gun and bent to shape then stuck some off cuts with superglue to enable it to fit to the document clip on the dash and then covered it with sticky back felt leaving a clear area of perspex for the TT mount to fix to .This enables the TT to be within easy reach and does not interfeer with the signal when mounted further away from the windscreen the TT mount will also stick to a piece of polished alloy sheet .

DSCF0075.JPG.4de6b2dee95e20d37f4d281f08b79a27.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG.afd8e6f0215b5a4b5a476b9abd2fc9e3.JPG

DSCF0074.JPG.fb0f6cfa06a6cfa9c8956797775b4484.JPG

Just recieved (yesterday) my new TT 720 that will replace my Navman, cost to update the Navman mapping was nearly as dear as buying the TT.

However on first inspection I am disapointed with the apparent quality, or rather lack of, of the windscreen mount, to be fair I have not as yet tried it out. However the Navmans was very satisfactory and gave no problem in the four years use I have had from it, but the new TT mount is flimsy and has no 'locking' system just a sucker that does not look very impressive, the Navman you stuck the sucker on then turned a locking ring to put more pressure on the suction cup. It is not like the one shown in the previous pics, is that an aftermarket or 'extra'?

I am just concerned that it is going to come off when going down the road has anyone any experience of the standard mount please?

Bas

The mount in the pictures is the original one as supplied with the 710 although there was a problem with the earlier ones falling off the windscreen people were advised to contact Tom Tom with the serial No of the mount and they then replaced it with the newer version which does not fall off.

I have a similar solution to Kelly58 - having been given a hint by someone on another forum.

My TomTom mount is stuck onto an Asda Smartprice A4 clipboard which is then clipped into the dash mounted clip as per photo (if I've managed to upload it OK). The clip on the Asda clipboard can still be used to hold a card showing the van height, width & length and/or any other notes.

Graham

DCP_0025s.jpg.ab0d694b361efdb967eb6312eae71808.jpg

I had a TomTom One XL for Christmas and looked into the problem of mounting it on the dash of our 1998 Ducato. Ours hasn't got the clipboard and the previous SatNav (Mio) was in a leather case that unfolded, so we used to just put the top half into the glovebox door and it was perfect, it held it just in the right position.

Have a look at this on Ebay UK, they do them for most SatNavs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dashboard-Dash-disc-mount-for-tomtom-300-500-700-x3_W0QQitemZ230204971123QQihZ013QQcategoryZ75447QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This would appear to just stick on the dash with velcro or some such products. I don't know if any of our Forum members have used them.

We have not decided yet how to fix our new one but do not want to put it on the windscreen.

As well as being to far away when windsceen mounted I had a problem with my tom tom over heating so decided to design a holder that would give protection from the sun and would bring the device further forward.

I have developed this holder over the last 18 months and tested it. It is designed to clip under the dashboard clip, it can be removed in seconds complete with GPS and hidden out of view, there are no sucker marks or evidence for theives that you have one. The holder will take any make or model of sat nav that is sucker mounted. The holder is made of acrylic sheeting with a silver reflective coating and sunshield with a stable base finished in black baise.

These holders are now available mail order at £9.50+ £2.50 P&P total price £12.00 payment by cheque or credit card

From

Model tech

10 Orchard Walk

Port Erin

Isle of Man IM9 6AL

phone /fax 01624 836045

I would like to post a couple of pictures of the holder, so you can have a look at it. can one of you computer buffs tell me how to transfer a photo from my pics to the forum?

Randonneur - 2007-12-29 4:32 PM

Have a look at this on Ebay UK, they do them for most SatNavs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dashboard-Dash-disc-mount-for-tomtom-300-500-700-x3_W0QQitemZ230204971123QQihZ013QQcategoryZ75447QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This would appear to just stick on the dash with velcro or some such products. I don't know if any of our Forum members have used them.

I bought an alternate mount kit similar to This One before being given the tip about the clipboard (I used to use the swan neck mount to compensate for the distance to the windscreen).

The disc mount has a self adhesive pad on the back and I was wary of using it as I thought that it might cause damage to the dash if it were removed at some time in the future. However, I expect it would be possible to remove the pad from the disc and stick some velcro pieces on instead - and would expect that velcro could be peeled off the dash (if necessary) in the future without damage.

Graham

For people without the dash mounted clipboard there is an example on Motorhome Today forum HERE of a mount which can be fitted in the cup holder. It was as a result of this thread that I got the tip for using the clipboard.

A user of the MHT Forum in Spain posted his solution HERE for mounting a sat nav where it does not obstruct the driver's view - apparently Spanish police are very strict about that. The post includes a link to a set of photos showing how it's done. The link takes you to a general page and you need to look for "Soporte para navegador" under "More Albums".

Graham

Geoff Cole - 2007-12-30 10:59 AM

I would like to post a couple of pictures of the holder, so you can have a look at it. can one of you computer buffs tell me how to transfer a photo from my pics to the forum?

Hello Geoff,

When you post a message you will see a box below the text panel "Attach a file after posting". If you tick that the system takes you to a window to enable you to browse for files on your PC after you click the submit button. I don't know what the limit is on file sizes. The pic I posted yesterday is just over 10 KB but I suspect the limit is somewhat higher than that.

Graham

Thank you so much for all the helpful advice and suggestions you have posted. What an ingenious lot you are. Annoyingly, our Mercedes does not sport a dashboard document clip, so it may be back to velcro.

Any more ideas would still be welcome.

With best wishes for 2008 to you all. Empress

:-D

Geoff Cole - 2007-12-30 12:46 PM

Thanks Graham for the posting info I attatch photo's of my GPS holder as per my previous post regarding these below. picture will not post at present error message says try later?

I think that's probably because the file size is too large Geoff. I got the same yesterday because I initially tried to post a pic that was 353 KB and had to post the smaller one instead. I just looked at the FAQs page and the max size for avatar files is 50 KB so I assume that for attachments is similar.

If you resize your photo and save the result you should be able to post the smaller version.

Graham

Our Sun Ti came with a reversing camera mintor fixed to a mount made by Brodit.

I have since bought one of their mounts for our TomTom 720 which is custom fit for the Kia Sorento so looks like part of the car dash. They make a range to fit most vehicle makes and most popular GPS/phones etc.

Have a look at:

http://www.pdaonline.co.uk/brodit-device-holders-c-830.html

or just google Brodit and you will find lots of suppliers/information on the range.

Regards, David

• 2 months later...

This is just an update.

I have a TomTom One XL Europe and din't want to fix it to the windscreen, I ordered a different mount, flexible type, but it didn't arrive, so ordered the "Dashboard Dash Disc Mount Plate" from Ebay. These came 3 for £5.99 plus P&P and are brilliant. They have a very strong sticky back which you stick on your dash and then put your normal windscreen mount into the cup. Hope I have explained it OK.

disc.jpg.4b9911538abf19d029de2119916220d1.jpg

Have recently bought a fitting from Maplins that locates my Tom Tom One frimly on the centre ventilator grille (Boxer 2001). It consisted of two pieces that lock together and snap onto the grille. I did have to spend a bit of time filing the clip that fitted the back of the Tom Tom to get a better fit.

Total cost was about £11.

Maplin seemed to have a fair range of parts to suit various Sat Navs. The pictures on their website aren't too clear. Its better to go to one of their shops.

Alan

I am interested in this post for two reasons:

Firstly, I have never been able to fix my sat-nav (Advent Medion 400) on the dashboard even though it has a good disc holder (dashboard is rounded so won't stick and the screen blinds would interefere with sticking it on the screen) so I rest it on against the blind support on a piece of that non-slip material.

Secondly, the maps on this sat-nav are way out of date (particularly France) and I can't seem to obtain any newer ones (and if I did they would be very costly) so I may have to buy another make. Tom Toms seem to be the most popular and I believe the maps can be updated daily. Can anyone tell me if this applies to all the 700 models e.g.700,710 and 720?

I have seen several 700 for sale on Ebay but don't know the differences/advantages of the different models.

Hi Patricia,

Have a look at the tom tom website www.tomtom.com you will find the answers about the different models there I have the go 910 and find it excellent I have down loaded all the french aires along with the ccs and cl sites in uk. If you by one second hand check that it has the latest map versionv675.1409 and software version 7.162 other wise you will have to by a new map to be able to get mapshare, this downloads map corrections when you connect the device to your computer, which you need to do once a month because it also updates the satelite positions for the next 7 days It is also now possibel to program text so you get the warning you want when approaching POI,s and speed cameras, also the latest speed camera update lists 6 different types of camera.

As far as mounting go I have been swamped with orders since my Sat Nav holder was reviewed in market place (April MMM) and if requested I am supplying them with heavy duty velcro on the base at no extra charge for vehicles without a dash clip. I am waiting for a delivery of grey perspex for the next batch which should be ready for despatch at the end of next week. Have a look at my post further up this thread for Pictures and address for orders regards Geoff Cole

I'm not sure if this will work for "A" Class or Overcab Coachbuilt M/H's.

On our Bessie E410 (small overcab LP M/H, we push the Tom Tom 510 suction pad into the dashboard cupholder (left of cab centre) We then have a sausage shaped beanbag, filled with rice which sits around the neck of the support bracket to stop any movement.

Works fine. I did expect that the overcab might mask the satelite signal, but so far we have never experienced any loss of GPS signal and it registers the same No. of satelites whilst mounted in the cupholder as it does when mounted on the screen.

Archived