Fixing TomToms

empress

Geoff Cole - 2008-04-01 4:46 PM

...........versionv675.1409 and software version 7.162 other wise you will have to by a new map to be able to get mapshare, this downloads map ............

Only to say that my map version is v715.1000 and software version 7.480 with gps v1.21, boot 5.4106, so it is probable that there are later versions than Geoffs quoted above.

Bas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi basil

When did you update? I have not updated this month April yet. I went onto tomtom home in March and it down loaded a new map (took ages to do, did not update software to your version mine is Go910 I bought a new map for it last year and get free map update for a year are there different software versions for other models

Geoff

Basil - 2008-04-02 7:23 PM

Geoff Cole - 2008-04-01 4:46 PM

...........versionv675.1409 and software version 7.162 other wise you will have to by a new map to be able to get mapshare, this downloads map ............

Only to say that my map version is v715.1000 and software version 7.480 with gps v1.21, boot 5.4106, so it is probable that there are later versions than Geoffs quoted above.

Bas

Bought my One XL at Christmas and the map version is v710.1561 GPS v1.21 Boot 5.3026, I also updated everything on TomTom home last week.

By the way, we saw the TeleAtlas van doing its bit in Poitiers last week. Tried to take a photo but wasn't quick enough.

Geoff Cole - 2008-04-02 7:40 PM

Hi basil

When did you update? I have not updated this month April yet. I went onto tomtom home in March and it down loaded a new map (took ages to do, did not update software to your version mine is Go910 I bought a new map for it last year and get free map update for a year are there different software versions for other models

Geoff

Hi Geoff, sorry I made the assumption that all the maps would be the same version irrespective of TT, mine is a GO 720, seems strange that they would have different versions for essentially the same units though I realise that yours has US maps as well. Obviously the software must be different as well.

To answer your question I updated last week and that was when the new map was listed and yes it took about five hours to download!!

Bas

Randonneur - 2008-04-02 7:45 PM

Bought my One XL at Christmas and the map version is v710.1561 GPS v1.21 Boot 5.3026, I also updated everything on TomTom home last week.

By the way, we saw the TeleAtlas van doing its bit in Poitiers last week. Tried to take a photo but wasn't quick enough.

Hi Randonneur, the map I had previously was that version ( well v710. ???? not sure of the suffix) and I upgraded on latest map guarantee which is still current on mine. So it is only one version different, not sure if it is worth paying for an update though as I have been unable to see any difference yet.

Bas

Hi basil Just plugged tom tom into computer No updates other than gps fix so there must be different versions for different models. regarding patricias question When I bought my new map for western and central Europe last year I had free updates for a year and I have had 2 map downloads like basil it took about 5hrs to down load I am hoping that I will still get map updates from mapshare so it should keep current for awhile after the support has finished for this version of the map.

There is then a choice as to stick with the version you have or dig deep into the pocket and pay for a new version. Interestingly when I bought my tom tom 910, 3 years ago I had Eastern and Western Europe plus America. New European update is split between East and West so you have to pay for a seperate map if you are visiting the East.

I bought my One XL at Christmas and it came with a Guaranteed Map Update but only for 1 month from purchase, if I want to update to the latest French Map I will have to shell out £30 plus. I update from Map share on TomTom Home every couple of weeks or if I am going somewhere I do it the night before.

I am confused now (easliy done!). Am I right in thinking that when the basic map has been out for a time you have to purchase the new one at about £30 and that the map share only updates things like roadworks etc? With all the new roadbuilding in France and the road labelling changes that could be expensive or do these come with the map share downloads? Apparently my present sat-nav doesn't even have any new maps and if they did they would be about £90. Last year in France every so often it looked as if I was flying as there was no road showing!

Also is the traffic version worth the extra money?

I don't think there has been a massive change in the French Map in the last year. The one I have now seems to be very up to date. With the mapshare, anyone who finds a difference on the SatNav to what is actually there can upload these differences to the Mapshare site on TomTom.

I think that the French Map TomTom are selling at the moment is the same as the one I have already on mine.

If you buy a new TomTom then you will get the latest map and software and then update regularly on the TomTom Home network. When a completely new set of maps are available, which is usually every 2 years I think, then that would be the time if you wanted to to do a full upgrade. That is probably what we will do.

With the previous Mio268+ we had it cost about 140 euros to upgrade the map and software, which was expensive, and then because it was 2 yrs old we couldn't use the map downloads which Mio provide. Hence the change to TomTom.

We also joined Pocketgpsworld.com for the Safety cameras while we still had the Mio so we have not subscribed yet to the TomTom one, we will probably do this in October when the subscription is due.

Patricia - 2008-04-03 12:49 PM

Am I right in assuming that the Tom Tom maps can be upgraded freely for 12 months? What happens after that?

Not sure, certainly no free upgrades for my machine.

I'm disappointed with TomTom mapping in general.

My Go 300 was a Christmas present in 2005 and I was disappointed to find that the A1 re-routing round Ferrybridge was out of date even though it had been open for months (if not a year). I bought a map upgrade in 2006 and, amongst other things, they still hadn't got it right. As a result I have not bought the latest map upgrade.

Whether the situation will improve if TomTom are successful in buying TeleAtlas (the map provider) I don't know.

I'm more inclined to wait until the promised new Navteq mapping, with capability to set vehicle size, is released and then buy a new device.

Graham

Tom Tom map accuracy: I bought my Europe version two in February 2007.

After upgrading to a new map last month I looked at the old SD card in a card reader [as used for photo transfers] and was appalled to find that the map I had used all last year was published/ put on the SD card in the year 2000. When I bought it, it was already 6 years out of date!

Despite travelling through a few "blank" fields and apparently non existent tunnels it took us to Belgium, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland and Italy fairly easily. We still use a paper map of course!

I have now bought, with a great deal of difficulty due to impartially inaccurate instructions, the latest version which allows corrections to be included. I haven't tried to make my own corrections yet which I am assured I can do.

Tom Tom's help line has been very good [it needs to be with the inaccurate instructions provided] and their email replies are quite quick. However, I fould it was best to only ask one question at a time.

Alan

Thanks for that explanation Randonneur. I have been looking up about the Traffic model which sounds very good until I got to the bit that says you have to have a mobile phone with GPRS capability (no problem there) and then that you will be charged for the data (big problem if I am in France) so think I will abandon that idea.

I'm more inclined to wait until the promised new Navteq mapping, with capability to set vehicle size, is released and then buy a new device.

Graham

How do you manage to find out all these things? My Advent 400 uses Navteq technology mapping (Medio Electronics) but when I contacted them in December they did not have any news about new maps.

When you say about setting vehicle size do you mean car or lorry? I have this option which might give a longer journey time but it certainly doesn't tell you about narrow roads or low bridges and I always put the m/home in as a lorry.

Patricia

Patricia - 2008-04-03 6:52 PM

How do you manage to find out all these things? My Advent 400 uses Navteq technology mapping (Medio Electronics) but when I contacted them in December they did not have any news about new maps.

When you say about setting vehicle size do you mean car or lorry? I have this option which might give a longer journey time but it certainly doesn't tell you about narrow roads or low bridges and I always put the m/home in as a lorry.

Patricia

There was an article in a magazine (not MMM) 2 or 3 months ago which mentioned that a new generation of Navteq maps & software was in the pipeline - already in use in some mainland Europe countries and hopefully available in the UK this year.

My understanding (may be wrong) is that it allows you to set vehicle dimensions and the software will be able to match that to the maps. Whilst it is possible (with some devices) to set vehicle type as you mention at the moment, from what I've read the software is unable to match the type to narrow roads and low bridges because the mapping accuracy is insufficient.

Graham

Patricia - 2008-04-03 6:42 PM

Thanks for that explanation Randonneur. I have been looking up about the Traffic model which sounds very good until I got to the bit that says you have to have a mobile phone with GPRS capability (no problem there) and then that you will be charged for the data (big problem if I am in France) so think I will abandon that idea.

Hello Patricia

You have slightly misunderstood how this works. All the GO720 (possibly other TT's as well) have the Traffic facility using GPRS and is by an annual subscription plus your mobile data costs, the 720 uses 'Bluetooth' to conect to the phone.

The Traffic (TMC) facility, which is what comes with the 720T version or you can buy as an add on to other Tom Toms, is an aerial and reciever that connects to a socket on the 720 that uses RDS traffic information (like the Trafficmaster) to display the information on your TT screen and voice. It is a completely FREE service once you have bought the TMC/ RDS adaptor and in theory is a good idea.

The mapping appears up to date on the current version we have, apparently including the 'Ferrybridge junction' mentioned by Graham above (least ways it matches the 2008 paper map that we have as well) but we won't be able to check France until a few weeks time. From the use so far it is excellent and far superior to our previous sat navs one Garmin and one Navman.

Bas

Randonneur - 2008-04-04 11:28 AM

I can't be certain but I don't think the TMC works in France. I may be wrong but I remember reading something quite recently about it.

Update,

I have just had a look at the Tomtom website and there are 2 systems available. This is the link:

http://www.tomtom.com/page/rds-tmc

Hi Randonneur, your update is exactly what I was referring to.

The TMC is 'supposed to work in France (according to Tom Tom) but I suspect it has the same problem as in the UK in that the recieved signal is not sufficient to maintain the system so it keeps dropping out and re-selecting. Problem is it is off more often than it is on.

Way and above my capability, some have found a way of connecting the TMC attachment into either the vehicle radio aerial or a seperate external aerial and that apparently cures all the reception problems and it works as it should and is highly succesful, however the comment was still made that the information is not up to date so wrong decisions had been made.

Bas

Hi basil

I have tried the TMC arial in France and the reception does seem to be a bit irratic as does the info. When I arrived at St Marlo recently and plotted our route to the SW ( about 5 1/2hrs) Kate (the voice I use) said there is a 4 hr delay on your route due to fog and road works. During the following couple of hrs this gradually went up to a delay 44hrs plus! I think the poor girl was either having a bad hair day or had lost the plot, although the info was correct about the fog (all the way to Nantes) and road works in the event we arrived on time. Thanks for the tip on the arial, I will have a play with it. Geoff

I have copied this post that I put on the other thread "Tom Tom":

Thank you for your very useful comments. I am breathing a sigh of relief as I had just ordered the 720 from Ebuyer before I opened your post, so in fact I have followed your advice perfectly. I decided against the attachment mainly because of the data charges and also as I travel alone now I didn't need any more complications to worry about when I am driving.

That is another reason why I went down the 720 route rather than waiting for the NavTeq update as the Tom Tom seems to have some excellent facilities when driving solo. Hope so! Gone the whole hog and paid the extra for delivery tomorrow so that I can play with it over the weekend.

Thanks again.

Patricia - 2008-04-04 12:59 PM

Gone the whole hog and paid the extra for delivery tomorrow so that I can play with it over the weekend.

Thanks again.

Hope it gives you what you need Patricia - careful you don't get snow on it this weekend :-D

Graham

Basil - 2008-04-04 10:52 AM

The mapping appears up to date on the current version we have, apparently including the 'Ferrybridge junction' mentioned by Graham above (least ways it matches the 2008 paper map that we have as well)

A case of better late than never Bas? :-D

Wonder how long it will take them to sort out Wetherby after the current changes are completed :-D

Graham

Geoff Cole - 2008-04-04 12:42 PM

Hi basil

I have tried the TMC arial in France and the reception does seem to be a bit irratic as does the info. When I arrived at St Marlo recently and plotted our route to the SW ( about 5 1/2hrs) Kate (the voice I use) said there is a 4 hr delay on your route due to fog and road works. During the following couple of hrs this gradually went up to a delay 44hrs plus! I think the poor girl was either having a bad hair day or had lost the plot, although the info was correct about the fog (all the way to Nantes) and road works in the event we arrived on time. Thanks for the tip on the arial, I will have a play with it. Geoff

Thats some time delay! :-D Fog must have been really heavy.

Bas

GJH - 2008-04-04 1:29 PM

A case of better late than never Bas? :-D

Wonder how long it will take them to sort out Wetherby after the current changes are completed :-D

Graham

Hi Graham, that is the trouble isn't it you just don't know what updates have been made! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bas

Basil - 2008-04-04 4:58 PM

Hi Graham, that is the trouble isn't it you just don't know what updates have been made! 8-) 8-) 8-)

That's right Bas. For the price they charge for the maps - compared to an ordinary road atlas, say, you would think that they would be pretty much up to date on release and come with downloadable updates for a year.

One of the factors which is making me wait (apart from capability of inputting vehicle size) is that the device cost has dropped rapidly over the last year or so and soon it won't cost much more to buy a new bit of hardware than to buy map upgrades.

Graham

Archived