Couple of silly GPS question

Vernon B

Thinking of updating my GPS and the post Christmas Sales seem a good time to do that but ...

1) All the current offerings appear to fix the device to the windscreen via a suction pad. Don't think that will work too well in an A Class van. As an alternative do they offer a dashboard mounting and if so do these come as part of the kit or are they an extra?

2) If mounted on the dashboard are there likely to be any reception problems - ie will the unit require an aerial extension?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Tom Tom model of some description - any A Class owners with relevant experience out there?

Vernon

TOM TOM do a screw fixed version of their bracket-last time I looked it was about twenty quid-the suction one comes free and it should be fairly easy to modify it to what you need.

Having said that I travel quite regularly with my boss and she just leaves her TOM TOM 1 in the area just in front of her gear leaver in her Golf and still gets a good signal!!

Guest Tracker
I made a bracket which fits on the top of the instrument cowl onto which the Navman sticks with it's sucker. It works well both UK and Europe, is easier to see (being closer), and is easy to remove and hide in one piece leaving no sucker mark.

Hi vernon

I recently changed from using a PDA version of TomTom as I also needed a powered PDA mount and it was all quite cumbersome.

Have bought the TT 720 which, I have to say, is much, much better than the Garmin Nuvi 360T I had for our trip to Germany last year - it was so bad that I sent it back and (fortunately!) got a full refund.

One way of mounting I have used is the Brodit system of mounts. This mount is used in the Renault Sun Ti for the reversing camera LCD screen and they do bespoke mounts for just about every vehicle which do not, generally, need to be fixed by screwing to the dashboard etc. If you google Brodit you will find plenty of information and suppliers.

Regards, David

Another silly question.

For various reasons i have not been away in my mh for a year or more.

But hopefully i am now in a position to resume travelling.

I thought to update the tt 700 ,but whilst lying dormant for most of that year it now seems to be unable to detect any satellites.The mapping is still there together with favourite destinations etc.But without a capable receiver it is of no use.

Is this terminal? Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

Nick Miller - 2007-12-30 5:27 PM

Is this terminal? Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

Try leaving it switched on and charging in the same place where it could pick up a satelite signal for a few hours. (All day ?)

Maybe terminal if the battery has gone, but should work under power and when gone through its post instalation sat check. If its not been used for year, it probably thinks its in China and will need to re calibrate its way back to the UK.

rgds

Archived