Garmin Quest

Knaus

Hi

I have downloaded the webupdater from the net now.

I was in contact with a customer advisor at Garmin who says there will be new mapping out in the spring for the Quest.

At the moment I only have Europe Navigator 6 installed on my unit, which is out of date. I believe you have to pay for any new mapping is that correct.

Does the new software from the latest download give any additional menus, such as postcodes or gps settings?

As you can gather from my questions I am not very good at understanding the of setting up these devices!! Although I have used it a lot in the UK and France together with a paper map without too much problem.

Thanks for any help

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away.

No, the software downloads don't give any new menus or functionality, they just tweak what's there, but since they are free they are worth downloading. I'm running v9 of the mapping and it's pretty good so I don't think I'll be updating just yet.

As you probably know, the Quest has been superseded by the Nuvi and I've not found any new software updates for quite a while and I suspect there won't be any more. Still it's not a bad little unit although the latest GPSr's have new and more sensitive receiver chips.

Guest JudgeMental

The new nuvi 700 series at last allows pc mapping and route download to unit. some earlier units allowed this but recent ones did not....

I find this invaluable for planning trips and will probably be getting new 770 with europe and US maps built in - but waiting for latest map release before I purchase. 770 can be had for just under £300, a bit of a bargain considering my old 2610 which cost nearly £900 *-)

Guest JudgeMental

I got V9 as an upgrade last year for £40 - new V10 out in states so should be available here soon ( probably as soon as they get rid of old stock *-) )

Hi

Where did you get version9 for £40? I don't think it will be worth paying the exhorbitant cost for the V10 as the Quest is 4 years old now and I would rather look to purchasing a newer model. But £40 wouldn't be too bad.

Guest JudgeMental
Knaus - 2008-01-07 12:40 PM

Hi

Where did you get version9 for £40? I don't think it will be worth paying the exhorbitant cost for the V10 as the Quest is 4 years old now and I would rather look to purchasing a newer model. But £40 wouldn't be too bad.

direct from Garmin UK, either via web site or call them 0808 238 0000

my prehistoric 2610 was on V6......

why do you think V10 will be exorbitant?

Hi Judgmental

I have looked on the Garmin website and the V9 is about £104, that's an aweful lot of money for an older gps, might as well put that to a new one. That too is why I am guessing that the V10 will be expensive.

Perhaps I will call them and see if I can get a better deal.

Bye

Guest JudgeMental
Knaus - 2008-01-09 3:15 PM

Hi Judgmental

I have looked on the Garmin website and the V9 is about £104, that's an aweful lot of money for an older gps, might as well put that to a new one. That too is why I am guessing that the V10 will be expensive.

Perhaps I will call them and see if I can get a better deal.

Bye

price you are quoting is probably a straight purchase? and not an upgrade.....In fact I called them yesterday on an unrelated issue and they said v10 probably available in a couple of weeks - no price as yet but as an upgrade chap reckons approx £43

Archived