Venice......camping...... parking.

loneranger

Hi, Planning our 08 outing to Greece we think we would like to take another look around Venice. Other times we have driven all the way round to Punta Sabbioni to the aire there.

Does anyone know if the Aires shown on tomtom’s ‘Aires POI’ courtesy of http://www.poihandler.com/ in Mestre vie orlanda or the one at Mira via u risato are a, actually there and b, have a safty’ish feel about them, or what do you think about parking on the harbour in Venice, we have noticed some campers there.

Or can anyone recommend an actual campsite in that area that doesn’t want to bankrupt your holiday budget. Thanks, Geoffrey.

Hi geoffrey, there is a sosta listed on the MHF site after the bridge from the mainland in to Venice, is this the dockside you are talking about? co-ods are: 45.4413 12.3042 room for 50 vehicles but expensive. €38 in the high season. He says regular bus service, I assume thats water bus. Site was added in Nov. 07 so very current.

Looking at google maps I think the co-ords are slightly out 45.4431 12.3055 seems more like it.

Olley

The sosta in Venice is in the giant carpark at the end of the bridge. It wasn't much used last time I looked, probably for security reasons as it is just a part of the carpark with no supervision. When I visit Venice I use the Camping Miramare at Punta Sabbioni, which is just after the sosta. I have just received their 2008 brochure and for a 'van and 2 people it will be 19€ a night with electricity or 17.5€ without. From what I recall this is cheaper than the sosta and you have a free bus to/from the ferry. There is a 5% discount for over 5 nights. An excellent site - I hope to be there in April :-D

Brian

BrianR - 2007-12-30 11:26 PM

The sosta in Venice is in the giant carpark at the end of the bridge. It wasn't much used last time I looked, probably for security reasons as it is just a part of the carpark with no supervision. When I visit Venice I use the Camping Miramare at Punta Sabbioni, which is just after the sosta. I have just received their 2008 brochure and for a 'van and 2 people it will be 19€ a night with electricity or 17.5€ without. From what I recall this is cheaper than the sosta and you have a free bus to/from the ferry. There is a 5% discount for over 5 nights. An excellent site - I hope to be there in April :-D

Brian

We stayed at the private sosta just before Camping Mirimare in 2005 when it cost €16 +elec and felt it was secure as it's well guarded by the owners. It is only a few hundred yards from the ferries but we found it a slow journey to drive round via Jesolo as it was a holiday weekend.

Another possibility is the sosta near the station at Treviso which I believe has frequent trains to Venice. We stayed there after leaving Venice.

Steve

I agree - Camping Miramare at Punta Sabione is excellent value. A 5 minute walk from the ferry terminal, and what better way to arrive in Venice than by fast ferry to the Doges Palace and Piazza San Marco? As most of the ferries go via the Lido, you can also go there and it's well worth an explore.

Mel E

====

Have a look at the camp site at Fusina. This was relatively expensive at €59 for 2 nights ( May 2005) but is a really nice site and there is a boat to take you to Venice is right on the door step.

If you want to go down the Grand Canal don’t take a taxi, loads of dosh, go to the water bus terminal by the railway station and catch water bus no 1. This takes you right down the Grand Canal and, if you get a good seat, ( at the front) you will get a really good view of the canal side buildings.

HTH

If you do stay in the Venice area for more than a couple of nights it is worth getting a season ticket for the public transport in the Lagoon area. You can by them at the ferry terminal at Punta Sabbionni or at the tourist office just off the Piazetta S. Marco. They are valid on all the vaporetti, the inter-island ferries and the buses on the Lido and are very good value.

Brian

Archived