Owners Clubs

Pez

Pez - 2007-12-29 9:40 PM

Hi All,

There seems to be an owner club for every make of motorhome possible but not for the Hobby motorhome, does anyone know of such a club, I would welcome any info, many thanks

Pez

hi Pez,

There's the Independant Association of Hobbyists

E mail daverjackson@ukonline.co.uk

tel 01530 832585

Don

Pez:

Your question came up about a month back on:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9859&posts=7

The website for the club Don mentions is:

http://www.hobbyists.co.uk/hob/index.aspx

This is really just a front page, as you need to be a club member to access the main elements of the site. I've never joined the club myself - probably because I didn't like the idea of a £25 introductory fee! - but I remember having a conversation with David Jackson about 3 years ago (before I bought my own Hobby motorhome) and found him helpful and informative.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for the website info I will take a look. It's the first Hobby for us and so excited to own one, ours is the AK 650 FM model, looking forward to going away for a few days next week to try it out for the first time.

Pez

a 25 pounds fee to associate with other fools who just happened to buy the same make of motorhome as us at any given time - you must be joking my ansums. me an alice prefers to make r own friends whatever their persasion.

hey me biddies, we as just bought sum cold turkey from morrisons - anybody want to foorm a club. usll call it MIOOTT (morrisons independent order of travellin turkeyists) . just send the 25 pounds to fred and ye get a flagon of best cider as an introduction to the first rally in cornwall.

merry yer to one and all (and to all and one)

fredkillerfred

Hi Fred,

I take your point about the £25, we are not wanting to join the club just to make friends, as we have our own circle of friends and great company they are to, more to the point our interest in the club would be the technical merit one would gain from other Hobby owners, and if we can make other friends then that would be great to.

Pez

I do nt see the point of owners clubs my wife and I bought our motorhome so we can get away from it all . We do enjoy talkiing to people on site and enroute but normaly these people have a different motorhome to ours.And £25 to enter a website and may be a sticker for the windscreen. Why did nt I think of that idea.The only clubs you need is the cc or the ccc for cheap ferries and RAC/AA so you do nt get run over tring to change a off side punture.

I knew I shouldn't have joked about the £25 one-off joining fee.

Pez's plan to join a Hobby owners' club is eminently sensible. One-make clubs offer a deep well of technical knowledge and expertise, particularly valuable if a motorhome marque is not run-of-the-mill or the make is no longer in production. Even if one has no intention of participating in club social activities, joining a one-make club is likely to be worthwhile initially just to be able to seek advice from people who genuinely know what they are talking about.

The joining fee is not really why I'm not a Hobby club member - it's actually because I know everything there is to know about motorhomes, so there's no point in me joining the club. (I was reluctant to say this before as I'm such a modest person!)

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2008-01-03 8:32 AM

The joining fee is not really why I'm not a Hobby club member - it's actually because I know everything there is to know about motorhomes, so there's no point in me joining the club. (I was reluctant to say this before as I'm such a modest person!)

Perhaps we could get MMM to make an annual 'most knowledgeable old git' award just for Derek, Clive, Don, Dave and Brian to compete for?

Apologies if I missed anyone!

Why do people have a go at 'one make' clubs?

It is not for us either but I can see the advantages for those who are attracted to it and who enjoy that kind of social interaction and a lot of generous folk put a lot of unpaid effort into them.

Long may they continue, along with ALL OTHER forms and types of camping and caravanning.

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your comments I may need to use your knowledge some time in the future who knows we may meet up on site somewhere. I quoted the wrong model it's a Hobby 670AK FM we have, we are looking forward to trying it out over the next couple of days.

Pez

Archived