Overnighting - Channel Tunnel

Way2Go

The last few trips we've made abroad has been by sea and we've stayed on the dockside at Calais.  This has been no problem but there is no where to stock up with wines, cheeses and cold meats etc.

Therefore, we're considering taking the chunnel next year so we can stock up at Cite Europe before bedding down for the night.  Our question, therefore, is whether there is a similar place to overnight close to the French or English checkin entrance to the Channel Tunnel like the booking building car park at Calais?

To take full advantage of a late night/early morning start we were wondering if anyone could put forth any suggestions?

Many thanks

W2G

When coming to the UK we have always stayed at Cite Europe. At the top end is a large Gendarmerie and together with other motorhomers we have found this to be quite safe. Occasionally there has been a couple of lorries there as well. It is only round the corner from the Tunnel and not far from Calais.

Hi

We have also stayed at Cite Europe many times in the past but when we arrived there in September there was a large sign saying NO Motorhomes in the Bus Park by the gendarmerie. However we didn't stay overnight and for the duration we were there shopping (about 4 Hours) there was no problem whatsoever and a large number of vans. If you want a good safe quiet place to stay, try the aire at Escalles-It is 10 minutes from the Tunnel and about 6 euros without electricity. Only problem is your train time as it is closed from 22.00 untill 06.00 I believe. It is a lovely spot though with a really nice bar/restaurant within walking distance.

Have a good trip

Mike

In previous posts people have said you can stop overnight at the car park by the place where you have your pet checked - from memory it is off to the right just by the check-in. I have never tried it myself and it was said to be a bit noisy. Maybe you can find more if you search on this topic. There is also an aire at the Elf filling station at the tunnel, but I don't know if this is accessible for departures or only for arrivals. More information on http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm.

Brian

W2go,

I agree with Randoneur City Europe I know that in Nov they had stopped the M/Homes getting into the coach car park but as of today Sunday they were back to normal . We also noticed that they seemed to have opened a new one slightly to the left and it only had M/Homes in it .

We used the big one at the top the one where you cannot possibly push your trolley over typical that they have not slabbed or concreted the one where people are most likely to want to stock up (Big Garages) m/homes.

never mind cant have it all but it has been very safe for us in the past and depending on where you want to end up as your destination there are others further down like Auchan in Bologne.

Enjoy your trip .

Archived