Taking Van to Eurotunnel

HymerVan

We are thinking of going to the Loire Valley in mid June 2008.

One of the options is to travel from Folkestone via Eurotunnel.

I would appreciate ajny advice about :-

1. A good site CL/CS to stay in within say one hours travel from the Terminal.

2. What might the traffic conditions me like particularly as we get close to London.

3. Is there any particular route better than another. We would probably be using M11/M25/M20.

we are coming from Scotland and have medium sized low profile (Hymer Van 522).

Thanks.

The M25 is always busy and towards Dartford Tunnel often gets congested, so allow plenty of time for that stretch.Provided there are no roadworks or accidents it may just slow you down a bit but when there are jams they get long very quickly. Best to listen in to traffic reports on the day.

Probably best to cross the Thames the day before you intend to cross the channel ( maybe that's your plan already).

Hi HymerVan

A good place to overnight is the motorhome stopover (aire) at Canterbury.

It is easily accessed at the Park and Ride just outside Canterbury, has about 20 - 25 spaces, frsh water and waste water dump. Journey time from there to the tunnel is about 30 minutes and the cost this year was just £2 which inlcuded free travel into Canterbury if you want it.

Regards

We normally get the train around late afternoon, and living in Lancashire, set off in the morning. Last time though, we got an early morning train and stayed at a lovely CL not far from the terminal. The road to it is a bit winding though, but the CL is absolutely lovely:

Mrs P E Peers

Little Rhode Farm

Rhodes Minnis

Elham

Canterbury

CT4 6XU

Tel 01303 862778

Traffic conditions vary enormously, depends on time of day and also day of the week, although the M25 can usually NOT be classed as anything but busy! Except I presume at 2 or 3 in the morning, but not having travelled at those times, I am no authority on that. When we set off from near Preston at around 10.30 am, whether it is week day or weekend, with 2 stops of about 20-30 minutes each, we normally get to the terminal at around 16.30 - 17.00. It is around 290 miles for us, and we normally reckon on about 5.5 - 6 hours total which is not usually far out. Except on a couple of occasions, when we have got stuck in a traffic jam as the result of an accident or something.

You don't have much choice once it gets to the M25. We don't normally use the M11, we do M6, then either M40 or M1, coming from our neck of the woods. My niece lives near Cambridge and we once stayed with them for a couple of days before going to the tunnel, then used the M11. But that was on a Sunday afternoon, and possibly lighter traffic than on a weekday and it was very quiet on that occasion.

The M25 around the Dartford tunnel can be rather busy as people slow down for the toll booths, Friday afternoons are best avoided I think, having made that mistake once, and only once!

The last few times we have come back on a Saturday, and have found that quieter than Sundays, but then again, that depends on which Saturdays of course - football etc will have an effect on traffic around big cities.

At the end of the day I think a lot depends on luck, with the traffic you hit, although you can to an extent plan your journey to travel at quieter times, ie setting off after rush hour. For us setting off around 10.30 am means that we hit Birmingham at around 12.00, and not a particularly busy time. We can then hit the M25 around/before 4-ish, just before the main rush. Those times have usually worked well for us.

Interestingly, we always seem to hit more traffic on the way back home. We normally take an early train, at 7.50 am, which means you land back on the M20 at 7.30 am English time. The last couple of times we have got back home at 1.30-ish, which is pretty good going I think.

Right, lets remember this route and its problems...

From south of Edinburgh to Dover 10 hours with our elderly 650Z Kon-Tiki.

A1/M1, A14, M11, M25, M20 found was best route for us with no hold ups.

Newcastle; avoid like plaque on A1, 0730-0900hrs & 1700-1900hrs. Just a constant stop start queue.

A14, same here as Newcastle.

M25, avoid above times as well.

Then its just a skoot down M20 to Dover.

We stayed at Boroughbridge Site just off M1 once to break journey and avoid A14, M11 & M25 busy times on set off. (Newcastle is a real time/problem).

Drove down in evening once; left 1800hrs got to Black horse farm, Folkstone about 0400hrs in morning, went to bed. Our Tunnel trip was around 1600hrs that day. Roads great, a doddle, but night driving might not suit some.

Asked staff if we could leave about 1400hrs. Said was OK but they immediately put sign up saying campers had to vacate their pitches per designated times. Site was about empty. Result, never/won't be back.

Loire, mmm, never been, aaaahhh...

Good Luck,

Gordon..

Laurence

Try to avoid using the Dartford crossing earlier than 10:00AM or later than 15:30PM.  The London rush hour extends over a very long time, commencing well before 07:00AM and continuing in the evenings until at least 19:00PM.  If you can, plan to get there late morning to early afternoon: then you'll catch it at its best.  It ain't called the world's most expensive car park (or the magic roundabout) for nothing!  :-)

If you're travelling on weekends be alert to the possibility of tail-backs onto the motorway exit lanes in the vicinity of Junctions 30, 31 and 2 (Just North and South of the Dartford crossing).  There are large shopping complexes both sides of the Thames accessible via the M25, and the queues for entry can become extensive, with some very erratic and bad mannered driving adding to the fun!  Not to put you off, but just so's you are forewarned!

I now travel on Eurotunnel its much quicker than the ferries, I always make a late evening crossing around 8pm when fares are cheapest and have found that they usually get you on earlier than your pre-booked time, so arrive a bit earlier this all depends on being out of season and if they have room they will load you on an earlier train at no extra cost.

You cannot loose as you have your pre booked time anyway.

The auto booking machines will try to charge you extra just book in at your normal booked time. it usually gives you a free early option. On the French side you dont seem to get it so its the time booked.

I have been fortunate getting over an hour or so earlier and have been able to get 100 miles in France. parking on the busy petrol station Aires

( never had a problem usually park with other motor homes). plus you can buy your french bread in the morning.

If i arrive late in France i make my way to the ferry holding area and park for the night there`s plenty of room. plus the police have a station.

Its my experience doesnt suit everybody.

M11, M25, M20 is the logical route and quickest regardless of congestion.

One thing to watch at the mo is the M25 to M20 turn off. There is a lot of work going on there and it can get congested.

Just take your time and watch for the turn off I think some of the road marking boards have been taken down.

Pete

Guest Le Thou

Hi Hymervan

We only use the Eurotunnel to go to France and highly recommend it, we never go the Dartford tunnel route and always go the other way round the M25, there is only about 5 miles difference no matter which way you go, as frequent travellers we always stay over at Calais.

Whereabouts in the Loire are you going, can recommend a few good sites on the way down.

Happy New Year

Wow !!

Thanks everybody for the comprehensive and informative replies.

In the far North of Scotland you can drive for half an hour and not see another vehicle (when you do see one it will probably be a German Campervan).

It looks like In the far South of England you can drive for half an hour and only travel 100 yards, however forewarned is forearmed.

Le Thou I may take you up on your offer once we havev refined our plans.

Happy New Year.

Laurence

The problem with Eurotunnel is inflexibility. You may or may not get on an earlier train and you may or may not be charged. Ferries are far more flexible. Buy an amendable ticket from Sea France for example and you can come and go as you please. I never travel on a ferry I have booked and rarely even travel on the day I have booked.

As for overnight parking many of us park on Dover Sea Front in Marine Parade which runs parallel to the A20 about half a mile from the port entrance. You will not be alone.

Guest Le Thou

Flexibility largely depends onhow often you travel. If you buy a Frequent traveller ticket for 10 journeys at £49 ie £490 in advance this will last for one year then you have all the flexibility you need.

If you arrive early they will put you on the next train,if there's room, or if you are stuck on the M25 and ring them they will put you on the nearest oneto your arrival time when you check in. The biggest downside is paying in advance but you can travel at peak times or when it suits you

We prefer the tunnel by far, we have been over to France 8 times in 12 months, never cost us a penny (Tesco), only once have we travelled at alloted time (middle August) and never had to pay for adjustment either. One such trip was exactly 24hours earlier than booked.

We come down from Northamtonshire and tend to book the crossing for late evening just incase, we listen to the radio on the way down the A14/M11 and decide then which way around London we will go, my ex travels around London perimeter alot and he always recommends avoiding the Dartford but we haven't had that many hold ups there and tend to get to that point around 6.30pm.

We have spent the night at Canterbury and it was quiet and safe feeling, quite busy around 8amish with workers coming in. Went to Marine parade but took the back end of our van off with one of the concrete bollards which people sitting on the bench next to us seem to find highly amusing as we drove off with the bumper and light dragging along the road ( warning if doing U turn check where they are, we were novices have learnt the hard way)

We did the Loire Valley in the summer , put Blois on your list that was my favourite stop.

Mandy

Don't want to cause major outbreaks of "domestics" here but, according to "Autoroute" the distance from M11 Junc 6 (M11/M25 intersection) via M25 clockwise (i.e. via Dartford) to the Channel Tunnel terminal is 73.3 miles, and anti-clockwise (i.e the long way round) is 134.6 miles, or nearly double. 

I therefore don't see where two contributors get the impression that it doesn't matter which way round you go!  That extra 60 miles will take you a hour longer on a good day.  On a bad day..............!

Brian Kirby - 2008-01-02 2:59 PM

Don't want to cause major outbreaks of "domestics" here but, according to "Autoroute" the distance from M11 Junc 6 (M11/M25 intersection) via M25 clockwise (i.e. via Dartford) to the Channel Tunnel terminal is 73.3 miles, and anti-clockwise (i.e the long way round) is 134.6 miles, or nearly double. 

I therefore don't see where two contributors get the impression that it doesn't matter which way round you go!  That extra 60 miles will take you a hour longer on a good day.  On a bad day..............!

Not only that but you can get even worse hold ups than the Dartford Crossing going anti-clockwise at the M40, M4 and M3 junctions i.e. Heathrow airport and Staines. Not to mention variable speedlimits and speed/ traffic movement cameras on every gantry. I have spent hours waiting in traffic when I used to travel to Staines from the east on a daily basis!I would only consider going clockwise from anywhere up North, except maybe from the M40 from Brum, though even that would be debatable. Also further round on the anti-clockwise direction is the Gatwick Airport junction (M23) and the notorious hold ups through 'Clackett Lane Services'.I agree with Brian on this one, anti clockwise makes no sense at all.Bas

Brian Kirby - 2008-01-02 2:59 PM

Don't want to cause major outbreaks of "domestics" here but, according to "Autoroute" the distance from M11 Junc 6 (M11/M25 intersection) via M25 clockwise (i.e. via Dartford) to the Channel Tunnel terminal is 73.3 miles, and anti-clockwise (i.e the long way round) is 134.6 miles, or nearly double.

I therefore don't see where two contributors get the impression that it doesn't matter which way round you go! That extra 60 miles will take you a hour longer on a good day. On a bad day..............!

Yes, I think it is the distance from the M1/M25 to the terminal which isn't much different whichever way you go on the M25, not the M11.We have also tried it both ways, but definitely prefer the clockwise route on the M25, it's the lesser of 2 evils in our experience.Ina.

Taking everyone's comments into consideration, I have just been reading the latest CC magazine and looking at the LEZ it seems to touch parts of the M25. Does anyone know any different? When we have done the Calais/Dunkerque to Dover we usually go anti-clockwise and through the Dartford Tunnel but on the last trip we followed to SatNav and went clockwise. We always travel to Manchester/Stockport and try to avoid the M6 at Birmingham if at all possible.

Randonneur - 2008-01-02 6:51 PM

Taking everyone's comments into consideration, I have just been reading the latest CC magazine and looking at the LEZ it seems to touch parts of the M25. Does anyone know any different?

Whilst the M25 crosses the LEZ in places he M25 is not covered by it. However should you have to detour off the M25 due to incident or accident and you are in one of those area's you WILL be subject to the £200 or £100 tax as you are with the congestion charge, it doesn't matter why you enter it, if you enter it you are liable, beware!

Bas

Hi Laurance

We live just off M11 and if you use that route then it is shorter going via the Dartford crossing, motor homes only pay a car toll if they are not towing a trailer.

Because we live so near we travel down to Dover/Folkestone on the same day as the crossing so can not advise this side for stopping, but on getting across we stayed at the coach stop for Cite Europe where there are normally a couple of vans parked over night and no cost, we also found a small campsite on top of the cliffs the other side of Sangette where if you wake up on a clear day you can see England across the Channel. I seem to recall the name as Etaples but if you wish I can retrieve the details from our van and let you have them. It is a small site with clean shower block and motor home disposel point and was fairly cheap. Following the coast road you come down the hill after the Dover Patrol momument and as you enter the village and the road turns right you go straight across this junc turning immedieatly left, carrying on for about half a mile, turn right and the site is on the left, this is a sloping sight so you can get great views over the channel from almost any point on the site, and some great sunsets.

LEZ Zone

If you van engine is to euro 3 spec which I think most after 02 are you will not be liable to this charge should you enter the zone at any point, and although the zone comes into force in Feb this is only for trucks to start with. Vans (not sure about motor homes) do not come into the payment scheme until much later, but not sure if 2008 or 2009, I will check out for you all as I have the details in my office

Geof

Geof & Angi - 2008-01-02 10:08 PM

LEZ Zone

If you van engine is to euro 3 spec which I think most after 02 are you will not be liable to this charge should you enter the zone at any point, and although the zone comes into force in Feb this is only for trucks to start with. Vans (not sure about motor homes) do not come into the payment scheme until much later, but not sure if 2008 or 2009, I will check out for you all as I have the details in my office

Geof

Not strictly correct I believe, this is only correct for vans (which includes motorhomes as they are not differentiated under the scheme) from 1.205 tonnes unladen to 3.5 tonnes laden, though motorhomes between 2.5 and 3.5 tonnes are from 2010 Euro III. Many motorhomes exceed these limts and are therefore subject from July 2008 unless they are Euro III. Also the Euro III standard is only ok until January 2012 at which point they will also be subject to the same derisory charges and Euro IV becomes the required standard ie registered post October 1st 2006.

See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/vehicles/2535.aspx

Bas

Archived