Italian trip!!

PatLynn

Christmas is over - planning summer hols and thinking of taking our motorhome to Italy. Has anyone travelled over the Col de Larche (from Barcelonette) and if so is it suitable for motorhomes - gradients etc? We have a Lunar X-Star on a Renault 2.5 master.

The next thing will be to find decent campsites in Italy - we usually stay on small French municipal sites of the 'cheap & cheerful' type!

Can anyone help?

Happy New Year to all

Pat&Lynn

Hi,

Extract from 'Caravan Europe'...

Col De Larche - max gradient 8.5% - Occasionally closed Dec-Mar. Maximum width of road 3.5m (11'6'') An easy, well graded road (D900); long, steady ascent on French side, many hairpins on Italian side (S21). Fine scenery; ample parking at summit.

No listed restrictions for any vehicles so I think you'll be fine.

You might also like to consider Aree Di Sosta for your visit, the Italian equivalent of Aires...

http://www.turismoitinerante.com/php/sosta/italia/search.php

pete

I've said this before, I know, but if you're looking for camp sites, get a copy of the Caravan Club's Caravan Europe 2, which covers Italy.  It really is one of the best campsite guides going, and gives quite good coverage of the whole of Italy.  Italy does not compare to France for campsites.  On the whole they are more expensive than France, and the quality is much more variable.  (Our general conclusion was that price was no guide to quality, even seeming inversely proportional at times!)  That is where the CC guide is so valuable, because it allows you to avoid the more undesirable sites.

Regarding the aree di sosta, you should be aware that Italians are very sociable, and will snuggle up as close to you as they can get, even on an otherwise deserted aree!  You should also be aware that they frequently arrive late at night (and still snuggle up close!) and leave early.  Further, that they are (mostly) naturally noisy and like music, and tend to have large families, so that when they arrive late at night and snuggle up close, it is difficult to remain unaware of their presence!  This behaviour is not reserved for the Brits, it is the Italian way and seems to be accepted as quite normal.  Italy is different!  This is part of the fun, but it can make getting a good night's sleep a bit fraught. 

The same can apply on campsites, since whatever the rules say about barriers being closed, late arrivals always seem to be able to get in, and seldom do so quietly!  Diesel motorhomes just don't tip-toe around, do they?  However, they do generally have to find their own pitch, so can't snuggle up quite so close.

I have been over this pass a few times in both directions and it is no problem - none of the gradients are excessive, nor any of the bends too sharp. This is in an Auto-Sleeper Talisman with a 2.5TD engine. I usually use the Italian sostas (somewhat similar to the French aires) but the camping municipal at Cuneo is ok.

Brian

Here are three more links for sostas. http://arcipelagoverde.altervista.org/ this gives downloadable POIs - if you have satnav, or a spreadsheet with pois

http://www.camperonline.it/ this complements the list and maps on the earlier (itinerante) recommendation.

http://www.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car.php yet another list.

I agree with the previous comments from Brian regarding the Italians habits, but if you avoid the popular spots, ie, coast and historic towns, then the sostas are ok outside the high season.

Brian

Went over the col de larche last year . No problem , easy gradient , road may be poor in places due to the snow. When i went over the pass didnot poen till about 20th May , styed at site in Barcelonette , very friendly owner , no english spoken . The town is good , has a nice market

Guest JudgeMental

Re Brian's remarks about getting up close in italy. On our summer trip to Lake Garda 2007 we stopped at an sosta and parked about 6 feet from a camper on our left thinking we would have a peaceful night as on our left side was the entrance to the other half of camping area.

3 o'clock ish I was awoken and looked out the window straight into the window of a large unit that had parked within kissing distance. lots of hand waving and load of excited chatter but they eventually went to sleep lol

In the morning I managed to squeeze out my door and asked them what was wrong with their heads, using theatrical hand movements - pointing expressively at my head and then out panoramically to empty area... (they most of thought I was an opera star on hols)

after much hand waving and gesticulating apologetically they moved of...

from then on we stayed at sites, but where not put of sostas as we love Italy and Italians as they are so friendly and welcoming :-D

Pat & Lynn

We are looking to make our first trip ti Italy with a motor home as well this year, we will be going around the middle of June although not sure to which part or if we will stay there as we have talked about a ferry to Greece but if you are traveling down around the same time we may see you around

Geof

Not really, but never done this before took me ages to find out where to type the message! computers are scary things. Anyway back to my subject. We are thinking of going to Spain/Portugal sometime soon and wondered if anyone out there was too. We are first timers so would like some company. We bought a Hymer in Sept and would love to go abroad with it. We live in Somerset if thats any help to fellow m/c, we have a friend in Javea who keeps texting us to join her we just need a push!! *-)

Archived