Ski areas

Puzzled

Hi;

The closest area for skiing is the Vosges region around Gerardmer (La Mauseleine), La Bresse and Col De La Schluct.

The only problem being that snow is not always guaranteed, when it does snow though its a great place for most wintersports.

Plenty of Caravaneige in the area and a few good aires too.

Keep an eye on the webcams, it looks like they've had some already....

http://snoweye.com/?page=fr-jura-vosges

pete

We stayed at le Bresse and Gerdemer last easter, most of the snow had gone but the children had the best holiday ever they say, they managed to get some sledging in.

As said you could see the facilities and fun that could be had when they did have the snow. We stayed on a small campsite near the centre of Le Bresse and on the Aire at Gerdemer. We plan to go back this year and may try getting there for the Half term holls.

Mandy

well i,m typing from pralognan, in the French alpes. First time skiers already doing red runs, about 600 miles from calais. Snow is about 1 meter deep at present, I have had frozen pipes a cold killed battery, and had to put snow chains on for the first time. Well worth the trip down. If you search a few threads back you will see one by Ned or Kevin all about ski aires. They are great. And as for the comment about the French? well I will remember that when next time a nice french man comes out of his motorhome in temp below -20 to help me start my van and then get his jack out to jack my van up to get it on the ramps to level it up.

Obviously you don't understand the French, I have always found them most helpful and decent. Just another fly away Brit comment.

123107093653-00.jpg.d3a6c7a271527bceea975cc7bfa71327.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey Paul, no shortage of snow there lol. we are still waiting for our portion in London promised for today but nothing yet.....

enjoy your trip! regards Eddie

We've been recommended to go to Les Arcs, camping at Bourg St Maurice. We don't go until March 8th so can't say how good it is. Haven't got chains yet or the silver screens, don't know where we'll stay on the way, Hubby doesn't want to use all motorway 'cos of the price of tolls - he's a cheapskate!

Hi Guys just back from three weeks on the pistes. We tried La Bresse in the Vosges. We only went there to suss it out and ended up staying for a week and a half. The snow cannot be relied on so go on the webb and check out the 7 day forcast before you make the detor. If they have snow then you will not regret it. Managed to get in at the end of the french holidays and there was plenty of room at the telecabines set aside for motorhomes. No waste dump for grey water or toilets though. You either take a spare cassette or nip down into La bresse centre where there are empting facilities. This is good as they have abrand new swimming complex and good shops with a large Super 'U'. The skiing prices are half what you pay down in the posh resorts and the slopes are open till

10 oclock at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are all flood-lit and the snow makers are going full tilt. It was a new experience to ski uder floodlights but the slopes are not crowded. There is only one black and 5 reds with all the rest being blues and greens so not somewhere for the expert to go but brilliant for us oldies and the children will really enjoy the whole atmosphere. We got there in 5 hrs driving so it made a good break on the way down to Les Saises our normal prefered skiing area. Another 6 hrs and we arrived at our final destination of Les Saises. It added another 120 Km to our journey but only £12-50 in extra Peage charges. There is no charge for the Aire at La Bresse but you will need some good levelers as it is on a slight slope. I now use blocks of wood and 1.5 ton car jacks as the plastic yellow levellers do tend to shoot off across the Aire as you try to climb up them especially if you have ice and snow underfoot. The french chappie in the chausson was mightily impressed as he had spent half an hour trying to level his van. He nipped off the next day and came back with two jacks from Super U in the village and gave us abottle of wine as a reward for the idea. The two German vans were equally inquisitive and by the end of the week they seemed to have found some as well. A cheap option and you get a level van. You only need three and it is quick and easy but you can get away with two. Les Saises was brilliant, so much so that we are off again at the end of Feb. Looking for gear? then go onto Tchibo webb site some good clothing bargains to be had especially childrens kit.

Ned

Archived