Switzerland & Austria

PeterC

Hi Hope someone can help

My wife and i (who got a motorhome in july 07) now wish to tour austria & Switzerland in Late august this year so the questions r.

1. has anybody recorded their itenary

2. How do you work out the best roads to take.

3. Is best to book campsites before going or just take pot luck.

4. Which is the best/cheapest ferry port to go from/to

I dont wish to seem unsure but never having done this before any help or advice would be welcome.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

1. Sorry don't record our trips.

2. Go wherever the mood takes you.

3. We just take pot luck and go where we fancy.

4. Dover Calais is the cheapest route and is best for us living in the SE.

The first trip we ever did abroad was to Austria and Yugoslavia (before it was as easy as it is now). No problem and nothing to worry about, it's no different from going to Cornwall just a bit further away and more motorhome friendly en route.

Bas

PeterC - 2008-01-01 8:48 PM

Hi Hope someone can help

My wife and i (who got a motorhome in july 07) now wish to tour austria & Switzerland in Late august this year so the questions r.

1. has anybody recorded their itenary

2. How do you work out the best roads to take.

3. Is best to book campsites before going or just take pot luck.

4. Which is the best/cheapest ferry port to go from/to

I dont wish to seem unsure but never having done this before any help or advice would be welcome.

Peter.

Passed through Austria a couple of years ago and a "vignette" (sticker) was required on motorways - can be bought at petrol stations - I think they start at about 10 euros for a car or smaller motorhome - and cover various periods ( 10 days - 2 months etc.)

I think there is now a similar system in Switzerland but haven't been there lately.

If you type " Austrian Motorways" or Swiss Motorways" into Google you can get up to date advice.

Good luck - I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.

Peter,

just a brief reply to set things going (others will be along).

1. I've done a good few years touring in Austria, and a session in Switzerland. Both come highly recommended, subject to the points in 2.

2. Main, and most secondary roads generally are not a problem, BUT, be aware that if you are over 3.5T there are specific (and different) problems for Switzerland and Austria. Under 3.5T you need a vignette (annual) for Swiss Motorways and (periodic) for Motorways and other major roads in Austria. Neither are prohibitively expensive, and easily obtained at or near the border. Over 3.5T you need a permit for all roads in Switzerland (curiously, effectively cheaper than the annual motorway permit as it can be bought for a short term), and a go-box (electronic, pre-paid tag) for Austrian Motorways and other major roads. The latter is both a bind , and potentially expensive, as it is mileage based, and equates to HGV pricing. This is a pity, since I am over 3.5T and it has put me off Austria.

3. We've never booked sites in either Switzerland or Austria. They can be busy in August, but they do become much better from mid-August on. I would recommend taking a chance, since it gives you ultimate flexibility to stay where you like, when you like.

4. For Austria/Switzerland, short sea crossing every time (Dover to wherever happens to be cheapest). Then, to avoid tolls, Belgium and Germany on the motorways (several routes available to ring the changes).

If you want to flag what your interests are, I can easily recommend a number of campsites, both for views and p&q, or for city visits (Salzburg and Vienna well worthwhile).

HTH

I wouldn't mind knowing whether it's feasible to take motorhomes into Saltzburg and Vienna city centres (it would probably be a panel van conversion of around 6 metres), or whether public transport would be necessary. Details of any campsites near to these two particular cities, where public transport is readily available, would also be most welcome.

Cheers,

Shaun

been 3 times to salzburg, and stay here http://www.panorama-camping.at/engl/indexeng.htm

5 min walk to bus stop, buses every 20 mins, and take you into center of salzburg in 15 mins. Good food and pub at the campsite, and a great place to meet with friends as the campsite owners sister owns the BandB next door, which is also nice. Also has nice views over salzburg.

Shaun - 2008-01-02 8:49 AM

I wouldn't mind knowing whether it's feasible to take motorhomes into Saltzburg and Vienna city centres (it would probably be a panel van conversion of around 6 metres), or whether public transport would be necessary. Details of any campsites near to these two particular cities, where public transport is readily available, would also be most welcome.

Cheers,

Shaun

We've always used http://www.camping-nord-sam.com/ in Salzburg. Much like the similar post, on the edge of the city, next to a bus stop, and quiet and friendly.

In Vienna, the best option we found was Donaupark Camping at Klosterneuburg. Its around 7 miles out of the city, but right next to Klosterneuburg Station with commuter trains into the city at all hours. As quick to access as any of the larger sites nearer the centre.

I've driven through both cities, but they are very busy.

Peter

We include Switzerland in our travels most years (the only problem with it being that it will spoil you for anywhere else) and have been to Austria a couple of times. I can give you plenty of info but really need to know how long you have available, size of van, etc. If you would like to contact me via the forums Private Mail facility we could chat.

Ron

Hi Peter

You have all the info re go boxes/vignette so won't do that again. However I would suggest you go via Zeebrugge ferry as you can travel across Belgium, France, Luxembourg (Fill up-cheap fuel)and Germany without road tolls on very good roads.

If you are visiting Tirol there is a lovely site called Kranebitten(www.campinginnsbruck.com) near Innsbruck with park and ride outside the gate (And VERY punctual they are too) or if you feel energetic there is a designated cycle path all the way alongside the river Inn to the city which is a beautifull ride/walk. You can also buy an 'Innsbruck Card' from reception for about £15ish which gives you free bus/tram travel, entrance fees to palace & museums etc and also a cable car ride up the mountains for about 3 days-it may be a bit more expensive now as we've not been for 2 years but well worth buying as it saves a fortune and you can see all the attractions etc-even includes the Andreas Hoffer Berg Isl memorial painting/exhibition and right outside that is a very good open air cafe/garden which is surprisingly cheap for a meal. Don't have a detailed itinery of our last visit but if you send me a PM I'll give you some tips on route, stopping off places etc. Otherwise, just go for it-Austria is a beautiful country with something new round every corner-enjoy

Mike

The best and cheapest route is down through Belgium, so for me Dover Dunkirk is the best and usuially cheapest crossing.

Make a stop in Luxembourgh for cheap fuel and then on to Alsace, rest over at Eguisheim, nice little Municipal site and a lovely town for a walk round.

Cross at Basle, be on map alert there it is a nightmare to get through they seem to have had roadworks on forever.

I would head up to the Jungfrau region, Interlaken is very touristy but very convenient, train services all over the place, including various superb mountain railways with spectacular views and walking.

Try Camping Lazy Rancho, first class facilities and you wake up every morning to views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau, snow covered and all "Pinkie"

In August you may need to book.

I have not bothered with Austria since that GO box caper was introduced

I carry on to Italy.

Totallyidle - We used to have problems with Basle. Try crossing over the Rhine to the German side on the A36 near Mulhouse (signed 'Lorrach') and cross the border at Basle on the A5. You stay on the main ring road right through without problems.

Archived