water pump fuse blowing.

AllanS

Hi, happy new year and safe motorhoming to all. Can anyone advise, I have a 1992 talbot Express Executive and the fuse in the Zig unit blows as soon as the rocker switch on the control panel is activated ie. not the tap

operated switch.The van is used and has developed this fault for no apparent reason! Any ideas will be appreciated.

Regards, AllanS . :-(

Are you sure the pump is switched via the taps or is it pressure switched? If its pressure switched then it could be the pump has seized or just died. alternatively the wiring might have fretted through somewhere and shorted out or even been nibbled at by mice, the little blighters can get into all sorts of places.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

To Dave Newell and Dereck Uzzell.

Re. your previous posts, the zig is OK ,it is in fact a dead pump on the basis that the fuse does not blow when pump is disconnected. The pressure switch is built in to the pump which is a Shurflo.

Thanks again both,

Regards Allan. :-( :-( :-(

Have you tried physically turning the pump? Having disconnected it with the intent of replacing it you might as well do an autopsy. It might just have siezed up through non use for a few months and a bit of a waggle could free it up. Well, this works for the caravan hang in the bottle pumps at least!

These pumps are very easy to dismantle into the 3 component parts - just undo the screws at the inlet end - 6 if my memory serves me. You can then ease it apart and see if the pump part - the one at the opposite end to the input - works on its own. If you need a new pump, try http://www.chandleryworld.co.uk/acatalog/Shurflo_Pumps.html who sem to be the cheapest - probably cheaper than buying one of the parts on its own.

Brian

Archived