Umwelt Zones Reminder

Don Madge

From 1 January 2008 a total of 33 German cities will require all motorists to purchase a "Pollution Badge" in the form of a windscreen sticker in order to enter city centre ‘Umwelt Zones’ (green zones).

The participating cities are: Augsburg, Berlin, Braunschweig, Köln (Cologne), Darmstadt, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Essen, Frankfurt am Main, Hannover, Heidelberg, Islfeld, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Leipzig, Leonburg, Ludwigsburg, Madgeburg, Mannheim, Mühlacker, München (Munich), Neu-Ulm, Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Pforzheim, Pleidelsheim, Regensburg, Reutlingen, Ruhr Area, Schwäbish-Gmund, Stuttgart, Tübingen and Ulm.

You must present your vehicle registration document at Pollution Badge (Umwelt Plakette) sales outlets, including vehicle repair centres, car dealers, MOT (Tüv) stations and vehicle licensing offices, and you will be issued with a badge, coloured (Red/Yellow/Green) according to your vehicle’s Euro emission rating.

The cost of the badge is understood to be between €5 and €10 and, once issued, covers you throughout Germany for the life of your vehicle. Failure to display a badge could incur a fine of €40. Enforcement will be managed by the police, local authorities and traffic wardens.

This website gives a lot of information (in German): http://www.umwelt-plakette.de

Also http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/umweltplakette/Ausland/Englisch/2008%20Webinfo%20Englisch.pdf?SID=q0j3lb93ftbufcg576a3aq6914

Safe travelling

Don

A timely reminder, thanks. I'll go to France and Belgium instead in 2008. It always amazes me that the relative handful of rampant, left-wing Greens in countries including ours, are allowed to organise financial punishments for the majority population. My vehicle is Euro IV compliant but no doubt in time that will get clobbered too.

Bob >:-)

Before anyone gets too concerned it will pay to check the individual city websites.

Hannover appears to be granting any foreign plated vehicle exemption for 2008 which is useful if you intend visiting the Botanical Gardens, pay & display parking big enough for MHs. Also a good place to park and catch a tram to the centre.

http://www.hannover.de/data/download/h/Heft_Umweltzone_GB.pdf

For how to get a sticker for 5 euro try

http://www.stadt-koeln.de/en/lowemissionzone/article/11609/index.html

;-)

This was posted on MHF by one of the German members.

"The number of cities which have now really introduced Umwelt Zone regulations on 1st January 2008 has reduced to 3: Berlin, Cologne (Köln) and Hannover. Some more cities, all of them in the provinces Bavaria and Baden- Württemberg in the south of Germany, are still planning to introduce them during 2008.

All vehicles that want to travel inside of an Umwelt Zone need to display a sticker ("Umweltplakette") on the windscreen. This sticker is available in three colours, red, yellow and green, where red stands for worst and green for best emission values. During 2008 all Umwelt Zones will be open for all sticker colours, but vehicles with red sticker will be banned from the Umwelt Zone in Hannover from 2009 on, and in Cologne from 2010 on. Berlin will allow all stickers until end of 2009, and afterwards only green stickers. The regulations of other cities are still subject to change.

Motorways are (so far) exempted from the Umwelt Zone regulations, even if they pass through such zones.

The Umwelt Zone regulations also affect foreign vehicles!

It is possible to get Umwelt stickers at all German "TÜV" and "DEKRA" offices, which you usually find (pretty well signposted) somewhere in the industrial districts of most German towns. These are the institutions which do the regular technical checks on motor vehicles (like British MOT). With your van's VIN number these institutions should be able to find out which sticker is suitable for your vehicle, and hand it out within some minutes. If you don't find one, ask local people or at petrol stations for the nearest "TÜV". An alternative would be to contact a German representative of your MH's base vehicle manufacturer, or a local car registration office ("Kfz-Zulassungsstelle").

BTW, the "TÜV" charges only EUR 5.- for a sticker.

The sticker colours correspond to the EURO emission classes, they have nothing to do with the CO2 emissions. Class EURO 1 vehicles do not get any stickers, so they will be banned from all Umwelt Zones. Class EURO 2 vehicles get the red sticker, class EURO 3 vehicles (like the popular Ducato 2.8 JTD engine) yellow, and EURO 4 vehicles green.

Under certain conditions older vehicles might receive a "better" sticker if a particle filter is retrofitted."

I shall be getting my sticker the next time I visit Germany.

Don

JeffersonCampervan - 2008-01-04 10:50 PMI sent a bunch of documentation & a 5€ note to Koln today.
Hi, did you send the originals or photocopies/Xerox ? I was thinking about the same thing but was worried about sending the original copies.

Way2Go - 2008-01-06 8:34 AM

JeffersonCampervan - 2008-01-04 10:50 PMI sent a bunch of documentation & a 5€ note to Koln today.
Hi, did you send the originals or photocopies/Xerox ? I was thinking about the same thing but was worried about sending the original copies.

I think it does say on the site fax or send a copy of your registration certificate.

Don

Way2Go - 2008-01-06 3:34 AM

I sent copies. Even when travelling I use copies, keeping the originals well hidden, a habit I developed travelling in Mexico).

I suspect that my VIN# won't conform to the code they are looking for, but it seems (based on my reading of the Koln site) like they have another way to determine umwelt sticker class based on the year & fuel type of the vehicle, so I sent copies of my registration, bill of purchase, and the spec sheet from the vehicle with the engine type highlighted. I've covered all the bases, I think. If I don't get one, I'll drop into an office in Germany.

BTW, Don - thanks for all the valuable info you provide on these lists! - and what is "MHF" ?

Hi;

I've found a few links for locations of TÜV, DEKRA and Veh Registration Offices that might help if you are purchasing as you enter Germany;

Some links are German, some English, but all are fairly self explanatory...

:: TÜV stations North ::

:: TÜV Stations Rheinland or Mid ::

:: TÜV Stations South ::

:: Veh Registration Centres or Zulassungsstelle ::

:: DEKRA Centres ::

Theres plenty listed, so you should have no trouble finding one. For a quick example, quite a few will probably enter Germany via the A4 Aachen;

TÜV Aachen

Hubert Wiehen Strasse 36

Aachen

DEKRA Aachen

Rottstrasse 41

Aachen

Kfz Zulassungsstelle Aachen

Carlo-Schmid Strasse 4

Aachen-Wurselen

pete

Don Madge - 2008-01-06 8:33 AM

All vehicles that want to travel inside of an Umwelt Zone need to display a sticker ("Umweltplakette") on the windscreen. This sticker is available in three colours, red, yellow and green, where red stands for worst and green for best emission values.

Don

Many thanks for keeping us up todate on these matters Don - yet another thing to add to our checklists.

I think its pretty clear what we have to do but completely unclear as to what purpose it will serve. I have to say "first they took away the vehicles with red stickers and no one protested, then they took away the vehicles with yellow stickers etc etc" comes to mind.

Vernon

Vernon B - 2008-01-07 3:53 PM

I think its pretty clear what we have to do but completely unclear as to what purpose it will serve. I have to say "first they took away the vehicles with red stickers and no one protested, then they took away the vehicles with yellow stickers etc etc" comes to mind.

Vernon

My sentiments entirely, we are sleepwalking into the loss of yet another freedom.

Bas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived