Caravan or Motorhome??

skottle

Hi,

Thought I would ask for some advice while husband is at work!!

We currently own a 5 berth coach built and have in the past owned a dethleffs A class(fixed bed, drop down bed at front, no lounging space!!!) , a 6 berth caravan and 2 other coach builts.

We are thinking of changing our motorhome for a caravan. Don't get me wrong, we love the motohome but as we are limited to a 24ft length, space is a bit of a problem. We are two adults, two rapidly growing children, aged 12 and 9 and a staffie. We cope okay with the size of the motohome but sometimes struggle when getting changed etc. We have had to postpone a ski holiday as once we have snow suits and everything else that you need for this kind of holiday, we would barely have enough room to move!! We had a caravan a few years back and were very happy indeed with it.

There are pro's and con's with each vehicle, can you help us to decide should we stick with the motohome or change for a caravan?

Would glady receive any advice.

Happy New Year to you all.

Guest Tracker

Hi Mrs Skottle,

There is no right or wrong here, and it sounds to me as if you have more than enough experience to know in your heart what will really suit you best!

Just make sure you buy with your head not your heart!

A big caravan needs a big towcar and unless you already have a big towcar you need to factor in that cost and parking space too, and on that note, surely a big caravan is going to need almost as much storage space as a big motorhome?

Do you also need to use the motorhome as a car - if so you may need an extra car when it goes - if it goes?

Difficult choices I know but have you asked the kids which they prefer because in my experience if the kids are happy it is much easier for Mum & Dad to be happy!

There are plenty of 24' motorhomes with a fixed bed (or bunks), an overcab bed, and a decent forward lounge that might suit. Caravans obviously lack the overcab bed so to get the same facilities might well be almost as long as the comparable motorhome?

Good luck!

Apart from the "usefullness" of either combination. (Car+caravan or M/home+car) is the running costs, servicing, insurnace, storage and other incidental costs of these luxury items.

The carbon footprint (and cost )of running a 4X4 or heavy car every day, could outstrip the occassional use of a M/home with which you have a small car for day to day running.

Greater minds than mine have ponder the question and the same question is being asked in this house,

Maybe a small motor home pulling a medium sized caravan is the answer ?

Rgds and happy New Year.

We changed 18 months ago from 20 years of caravanning and it has taken us time to adjust. As you said there are pros and cons in both outfits.

Do you go skiing on a regular basis or once a years, if once a year surely a compromise can be had for that one trip.

When our 2 where growing up we had to take it in turns to get ready in the morning or going out but life is a bit more relaxed when motorhoming or caravanning. There are only two things I miss about a caravan is the kitchen but I am sure that if we were to go for a larger motorhome we would get that and being able to go sightseeing and able to leave the car in an ordinary car park. We are very fortunate over here that motorhomers are catered for very well and we have found over the last 18 months that we move around more than we would have in a caravan.

There is one other thing that I like about motorhomes, we can just set off and go if the urge takes us and we don't have to pack a car or even fill up the fridge, we can do that en-route.

The decision can only be made by yourselves but I am sure it will be a happy one.

Having just made the change from a motorhome back to a car/caravan combination I can agree with all that has been said so far and, like you, I love motorhomes but it came to a point where we had to make a difficult decision based on practical use rather than emotional ties.

Having had a fixed bed caravan before we knew what the differences were in terms of how you use either form and it was this that prompted our recent changeover.

Several factors had a bearing on our decision. The first was that we have a grandchild (and his parents!) who would enjoy taking trips with us some times. The Sun Ti has been a fabulous motorhome for us but is not best suited to taking the family too so we looked at a larger van at the Dusseldorf show last year. It soon became obvious that that would mean a larger, heavier and more expensive van.

The second was that we are no longer able to use pedal cycles for getting about so rely on public transport for offsite travels or towing our Yaris. The larger motorhome would have exacerbated this and it looked as though we would start to tow the Yaris more often.

Finally, we found we were not using the motorhome to its' full advantage and, rather than visiting places en-route to our first site or on our way home, we were going directly to our first site and on the last day going straight home again.

So, rather than get a larger motorhome, tow the Yaris more often or even just use the motorhome like a caravan we decided to look for a suitable caravan. The chosen van (at roughly the same length as the Sun Ti) definitely gives more space on site and, I have to say, more comfort than our Sun Ti. Having the car as off site transport gives us a great deal of freedom too. There are drawbacks but the new breed of caravans helps us to overcome these. For example, we had a motor mover fitted and the van has an in board water tank. Like many forum members we have watched as some caravan users take 4, 5 or 6 hours to set up or pack up on site but our first trip in the new van took us 45 minutes to set up - and that included a porch awning and satellite dish on a tripod!!

Financially, we are slightly better off even though the caravan is the top of the range model and needs a 4x4 to tow it. The capital costs were less and, as we will not need the Yaris, running costs will be about the same over a year.

One thing we will miss about the motorhome is being able to use aires but, having said that, one of the best tours in France we have done was in the previous caravan and even on aires we have had difficulty getting to visit local places without using the motorhome.

Well, good luck with whatever choice you make - anyone want to buy a Yaris on an A-frame?

Best Regards, David

Tony's suggestion of towing with a smaller van is something we have thought about. You could use the campervan for short trips and tow a caravan for longer stays. Has anyone experience of this? In general are hightop vans suitable for towing small caravans?

Hi there,

Thanks to you all for replying. Firstly where we park our motorhome at the front of our property is not suitable to park a caravan as the drive is very sloped and uneven. It's much easier to drive a motohome on and off with four wheels! I am sure that my husband and I would divorce after the first attempt of getting the caravan in place!!!!!!!! It would have to go in storage which is not ideal as it's great to pack your van on site, but that is something that we would have to put up with. The model we have at the moment is almost 24ft so to put a caravan on the back would not be ideal. We have some serious thinking to do and will try to go with our heads and not our hearts. Secondly our children would prefer to have a caravan purely because of the extra space that they would gain especially when we have got to where we want to be. (They take a huge amount of stuff with them, even though we get them to minimize!!) I know that we would have to have a 4x4 to pull a caravan, but once at a destination we always try and walk/cycle everywhere anyway where possible. We really do not know which way to go! The ease of a motorhome when travelling to the north of Scotland or to the South of France - there is no comparison, you just hop in and go, pull over for meals/drinks/toilet break but a caravan gives us more space - just a lot more planning when you go away.

Once again thanks for all the replies so far!

There is no "answer", since what works changes as life progresses, and everyone has different preferences.

Most of the main points have been covered above. 

However, I do think you are chasing ever more space, which in my opinion is a bit of a fool's errand.  Possibly it might be worthwhile to review what you take against what you really need.

Then there is the question of how often you go away, and where you go.  With school age children, I'd guess either vehicle would spend a lot of its time just standing.  I'd also guess that your holidays tend to be relatively static, rather than of the touring around type.  If correct, this would favour a caravan over a motorhome: caravans are much better at standing around, motorhomes really need to be driven regularly and do not "like" long periods of inactivity.

However, if you can find the right combination within you budget, the suggestion of a smaller, two person motorhome towing a small, two person, caravan has much to commend it.  You inhabit the motorhome, the lads the caravan.  In lieu of a caravan, you might consider also trailer tents, or even a reasonable tent.  It would depend on the boys, and on how much they could be trusted unsupervised in any of the above.

At their ages, it is probable you'll have only one passenger in 4 or 5 years, and none at all three years later, so I'd see this as an interim solution.  However, motorhomes last well, so your two berth van may well see you into your early child-free holidays.

If this appeals, you will need to do a lot of research into the right motorhome, since not all can be fitted with towbars, of those that can, not all will be suitable for towing because of they lack the power, or have too much rear overhang (poor stability), or have too limited a towing capacity.  You'll also need to check your driving licences to be sure you can tow your favoured combination, and may need to take a supplementary test.

However, small van = mobility and, since almost all have 4 belted seats, transport for all.  That gives you a mobile canteen for days out, and easier parking wherever.  If you choose the caravan/trailer tent option you are guaranteed a reserved pitch when you return, almost certainly a second fridge for reserve supplies, and a supplementary kitchen, should the need arise.  It could be the best of all possible worlds - but choose carefully, since it could also turn into the opposite!

Guest Tracker

Sounds like a bigish caravan pulled by a panel van type camper conversion with 4 seats and cooking and a loo for day out and travel use, but not ideal for living or sleeping in for 4 but which could be still used as everyday and day out transport might suit you?

When my parents had a caravan to park on a sloping drive Dad and I installed an electric boat winch at the top of the slope and he and Mum (both elderly) were then able to winch it up and down themselves without too much hassle. They were at the end of a cul de sac so a caravan across the road while he unhooked from the winch and hooked it up to the car on the flat was not too much of an issue!

Hi skottle,

We have gone through this conundrum several times as we have had caravans and motorhomes at different times over the years. At the end of the day only you can decide. I would not hesitate to go back to car caravan combination if the need or desire was there, unlike some that would only motorhome and cannot see the benefit of a caravan.

With children we found that the motorhome is better for travelling as they have more room to move about and are not strapped into a car seat next to one another where they can get on each others nerves. Also you can allow them to sleep on route much easier if need be.

However all our caravan/ car combinations have had more useable room when on site size for size and the payload is usually better than a motorhome, our last twin axle 24 footer having on board water and self levelling system so was no harder to set up than the motorhome.

You will know that the two types of camping are different ways to do similar things, the motorhome more suited to tour a day here and a day there whereas the caravan is more suited to longer stays and getting out in the car.

Don't worry about uneven ground or slopes with a caravan, with the latest types of powered movers it is easy peasy to move them, so you should be perfectly ok to keep it at home.

I have to say that if I felt the need to tow a car behind our van I would sell it and get a caravan, it makes no sense to me whatsoever to tow a car behind a motorhome it does away with most of the advantages of a motorhome, beside which if you are that desperate to have a car while you are away you can hire one very cheaply at far less than the overall cost of buying and towing one.

One other thing from my own experience over the years I have found caravanners much much more friendly and ready to talk than motorhome owners who generally seem to be loners that get on site and never leave their vans, let alone mix! There was always a saying amongst caravanners that I know, that motorhomers are usually OAP's or weirdo's, I certainly qualify!

As always just my own opinion and you must make your own choice.

Bas

Hi Brian,

We go away what we would consider fairly often. 5 full weeks each year, all long weekends and about 20 weekends, we did 17000 miles in 9 months in the last motorhome, so we enjoy the longer stays as well as the shorter ones. We only tend to take with us what we consider necessary. The one definate advantage is our current motorhome is small enough to use as a day van as well, although not used for our daily transport. Financially a 4x4 and caravan would be a lot cheaper than current car and motorhome.

By the way the children are girls, so they like lots of stuff ( don't all women!!)

Our van does have six belted seats so the kids sit opposite each other.

As to tow behind a motorhome, that is something we would not consider, might as well have a big car and big caravan then. In our opinion if you are towing something, if it is 22 foot or 26 foot long not much difference?

We have been down the tenting route, not for us unfortunately.

As for only having 1 passenger in 4 or 5 years time, we would have no doubt changed whatever we have now many times over. 4 new motorhomes 1 new caravan in 6 years!!!

Thanks

Sue

Fascinating thread.

Skottle - please don't believe the modern myth that you need a 4x4 to tow a big caravan. Bailey, Sprite, Abbey, Sterling and Avondale all build lightweight twin axle caravans with up to six berths that are easily towed by a Mondeo-sized family car.

For more info, consult our Towmatch guide:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/channel/articleitem.asp?c=2&article=120

As for motorhome/caravan combinations, what would be the ultimate match? Personally, I'd love to pair up a VW California with an Eriba Troll 555 GTV.

What do you think?

M

We did (briefly) consider a camper/caravan combination and I would have preferred something like an IH Oregon or Adria Twin but another consideration was the amount of winter touring we do in this country and the Kia Sorento we have bought gives us the extra bit of assurance on winter roads and sites.

Regards, David

Yes Mike,

But with a caravan you have to go out into the wet, wind and cold to put the kettle on!

We have had the odd caravan for a couple of years or three since 1972 and without doubt the most relaxing tugging was done with a pokey 4X4. If only the caravan could hold itself together over the mountains!. The most worrying towing was with a Morris 1100. So size does matter. Todays Mondeo is not a small car, but a big Jag or Range Rover is much more fun.

Horses for courses.

C.

Clive - 2008-01-04 10:40 AM

Yes Mike,

But with a caravan you have to go out into the wet, wind and cold to put the kettle on!

C.

Hmmm adds weight to my above comment of:-

""One other thing from my own experience over the years I have found caravanners much much more friendly and ready to talk than motorhome owners who generally seem to be loners that get on site and never leave their vans, let alone mix!"" (lol) (lol) (lol)

Bas

Guest Tracker
OAL Moderator - 2008-01-04 10:05 AM

Fascinating thread.

Skottle - please don't believe the modern myth that you need a 4x4 to tow a big caravan. Bailey, Sprite, Abbey, Sterling and Avondale all build lightweight twin axle caravans with up to six berths that are easily towed by a Mondeo-sized family car.

For more info, consult our Towmatch guide:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/channel/articleitem.asp?c=2&article=173

As for motorhome/caravan combinations, what would be the ultimate match? Personally, I'd love to pair up a VW California with an Eriba Troll 555 GTV.

What do you think?

M

Each to his own and far be it for me to tell anyone what to tow with - BUT

Ever tried getting a big caravan off a wet site with a front wheel drive family car?

Ever experienced snaking on a motorway - less likely with a 4x4 towcar?

Two good reasons to tow safely and keep your family secure with a 4x4.

OAL Moderator - 2008-01-04 10:05 AM Fascinating thread. Skottle - please don't believe the modern myth that you need a 4x4 to tow a big caravan. Bailey, Sprite, Abbey, Sterling and Avondale all build lightweight twin axle caravans with up to six berths that are easily towed by a Mondeo-sized family car. For more info, consult our Towmatch guide: http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/channel/articleitem.asp?c=2&article=120 As for motorhome/caravan combinations, what would be the ultimate match? Personally, I'd love to pair up a VW California with an Eriba Troll 555 GTV. What do you think? M

Strange you should suggest that combination, almost exactly what I was thinking!  Except, I think I'd go for Triton instead.

traveling around the uk and europe we ve come across quite a few v dubs towing fairly large caravans with fairly large familys. This would seem an idle sulotion .Perhaps an arwing for the vw for the weekends. Also you could use it as an every day as poptop should fit under carpark barriers .Just the price of buying the two units good luck. We had the same choice to make afew years back we went with a motorhome but sometimes I think caravan would have been better. Then a big hill comes up we go flying past .

hi, we had same dilemma car/4x4 and caravan against motorhome, motorhome felt too cramped, dont really like the way a caravan tends to be dragged in by passing traffic so looked at 5th wheel style caravans which is what we got from a company in lincoln, lot more stable than a caravan to tow, plenty of room (slideouts) and a double cab to travel around in when on site. Large on board water and waste tanks just like m/home so real easy to set up on site easy to hitch and unhitch and front legs are on elec motor so just push a button to bring them up or down and if power low you can hand wind from a standing position, and the combination of pick up and 5th wheel is actually shorter than a car/4x4 and caravan.Our unit is 26' long but the first few feet are over the back of the pickupand you dont have that 3' inbetween car and van,also you have a much bigger payload to play with.

Guest Tracker
Poppy - 2008-01-07 5:15 PM

I think that you and the girls have made up your minds really and want a caravan combination of some sort.Nothing wrong with that although the fifth wheel idea sounds very interesting!

Quite an expensive option and will it be easy to sell when you change your mind again - as one does?

Also will it multi function as well as would a large tow car or a small camper?

Guest Le Thou

Tried a caravan mid motorhomes about 2 years ago and the only advantage over the MH is the transport aspect when you arrive on site, as for the 5th wheel it's just a variation on a theme with the caravan that requires a pickup truck. If you have a use for a pick up truck throughout the year then that's an option although I would seriously question the possiblilty of selling a 5th wheeler when you need to change, it will without doubt be a very limited market. I don't think I,ve ever seen one on the road or on site.

All been said before about caravans, snaking, slow to tow, time to set up, on board tanks etc, its always a dilemna, but if you posted the same question on www.practicalcaravan.co.uk forum you would get quite a different reply.

Good Luck

Archived