E Bay Reversing Camera

Corky 8

Has anyone bought a Wireless Reversing Camera from e bay, I dont mean the really cheap ones at £69 the ones I,m looking at are £120.oo + £23.00 P+P sold by Orbis cctv, if so was it easy to fit considering it still requires a 12v live at the camera , have you had any problems with it, was it value for money, would you recommend it , I know its from Hong Kong but thats not a problem, also does anyone know who fits Cruise control in the S/W Scotland Area, *-) Thanks Corky :-)

Hi Corky 8 Happy New Year to you.

Re reversing cameras, can I suggest you look at the answers I had to my question regarding these. Look at "Reversing Cameras - Its my birthday"

dated 25/12/07

I think you will be interested in the reply about "wireless cameras".

Hope this will be of help.

Paul

"Hapiness is no white bits! :-D 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thanks Paul M, A Happy New year to you and Yours, :-> ,I read the forum you suggested and whilst I know Dave Newell knows his stuff,and he wouldnt put you on a bum steer, he has to sell his own Camera,s so therfore I couldn,t see him recommending the opposition as it were , I have gone through the Sellers Feed Backs on E bay and sent an e mail to three of the purchaser,s of the camera,s in this counrty asking them if the camera,s they bought are still working and if they would recommend them to anyone else, I can but await their replies (if any ) But Thank you for you assistance it is much appreciated, Regards Corky :-D

That's a very valid point Corky and while it is true that I would obviously prefer to sell a camera myself than send someone elsewhere there is another point to bear in mind. I only deal with brand name stuff like Waeco or Camos from reputable suppliers so that if there is a problem I can deal withit safe in the knowledge that my suppliers will give me the backup. I did once buy some equipment from a supplier I found via E bay, initially it was ok although they were terrible at answering the phone. Then I had a 15" LCD monitor which failed and, as if by magic, when I tried to contact the supplier they'd gone bust leaving me to refund the customer and out of pocket to the tune of several hundred pounds.

This is why I only deal with known reputable companies but it does not mean that all Ebay sellers are rogues by any means. Check out the seller carefully and hopefully you will be OK.

D.

Hi corky, dave recommended those makes my local lsuk agent another and my local truck dealer another but what they all say is No point going the (so called ) wireless system you have to drill to fit the camera so fit a wired system I to believe a wired system is the best way to go

paul

Chances are LSUK recomended a Brigade and the truck dealer a Durite. I've seen and fitted both but personally I still think the Waeco and Camos are better quality units at similar prices.

As I said on the other thread there is IMHO no point in fitting a wireless system to a motorhome as you have to provide a power feed for the camera anyway.

D.

A 'wireless' reversing-camera system offers definite advantages on caravan outfits when 12V power for the camera can be picked up from the caravan's reversing-light circuit. Exploiting the reversing-light circuit to power the camera will also simplify installation significantly on a motorhome.

Things get trickier if the intention is to use the camera system for rear view purposes while travelling forward, as motorhomes tend not to have an active 12V power supply handily available near the rear of the vehicle. Nevertheless, it will invariably be simpler to run a 12V cable to a wireless rear camera than to install a one-piece 20 metre-long connection cable between rear camera and front-mounted monitor.

I've no idea how well the Orbis systems perform or how reliable they are. The only wireless camera system I've seen working in a motorhome was on a French 'van. This had 2 cameras at the rear, one looking rearwards and the other downwards. A flat-screen monitor had been mounted where the rear-view mirror would normally be and there was push-button selection of either camera. In fact the system could handle 4 cameras and be set to sequence through them automatically. The rear cameras also had microphones. As the motorhome owner was plainly a red-hot DIYer I thought the arrangement might have been a modified security system, but, whatever the case, it seemed to work fine. So I wouldn't reject wireless systems just because they are wireless, and it's perhaps worth adding that Waeco offer radio modules for their LCD250 camera system as an alternative means of connectivity. (Not cheap however!)

Personally, I consider e-bay as the internet equivalent of a car boot sale and, as I wouldn't dream of buying electronic kit from the latter, I certainly wouldn't buy it from the former. Like Dave, I want equipment from a manufacturer with a good reputation and I want to purchase it through a supplier with a good reputation. I've also come to accept that the saying "Buy cheap - buy twice" tends to be true. That's why I chose a Waeco camera system (though not a wireless one) for my own motorhome.

Derek Uzzell - 2008-01-04 8:35 AM

Things get trickier if the intention is to use the camera system for rear view purposes while travelling forward, as motorhomes tend not to have an active 12V power supply handily available near the rear of the vehicle. Nevertheless, it will invariably be simpler to run a 12V cable to a wireless rear camera than to install a one-piece 20 metre-long connection cable between rear camera and front-mounted monitor.

I would totally refute the statement that it is any more difficult to run a wired connection from the camera to the monitor. If you have to run a power cable, as suggested in the section of post above, then you just use a combined power and visual cable that is not really any larger than a normal 12volt power lead, and just as simple to install. These are available very cheaply on E-Bay.

I have a wired, rear view mirror replacement type, system that was obtained from an E-Bay seller based in the UK and cost around £70 including the camera and the cables to run front to back. It has been nothing short of brilliant and far superior to the WAECO system that it replaced, which I believe to be well overpriced, having had the experience of buying installing and using one and the advantage of comparing it to the cheap priced (though not quality) E-Bay one. I can however understand Dave's position regards replacement, but as I can buy at least three E-Bay ones for the cost of an expensive one, I am not bothered about defective exchange units (however the E-Bay ones are 'covered' by warranty and there is no guarantee these days that the dearer manufacturers are not going to go belly up).

Installation was simplicity in itself and took less than a day including removal of the defunkt old system. All video conections are plug fits as are the power connections to the monitor and camera, the only actual connections to be 'made' are the live 12volt feed, the 'trigger' wire (to switch views) and the earth connection.

To me there is no reason to use a wired camera that may be subjct to interferance and other drop out problems that could occur just when you don't want it to, think Bluetooth or WiFi networks here.

Bas

I suppose that if you want a camera on the back of the caravan and don,t want an additional coax cable between the car and caravan then a wireless system is attractive, however I would have thought that having the camera on the back of the towing vehicle (car or motorhome) is more usefull and in this case the simplicity and reliablility of a wired system wins hands down. As Dave said use quality gear of a known and respected pedigree. I would add Orlaco to Dave,s list as its totally commercial equipment and is what I have installed on our MH.

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm

C.

Thank you all , I have taken in what you have all said and all your points are valid ones But where as Truck companies have greater assets to draw on and they wouldn,t feel the cost no matter what number they fitted or what Make i dont have that Luxury, its only to Daves credit that he only fits the Brands he knows he can trust and has had no problems with after all its his Good Reputation thats on the line , had Dave been closer to me I may have asked for a quote on Cruise control (trust through reading past forums of him ) . In my neck of the woods there are very little in the way of Motorhome services ,so I have to look at every option open to me and although I have a reversing Aid already fitted ,I know it wouldnt pick up the little child standing at the rear of the motorhome between the mirrors blind spots, I have many years as a HGV driver (low loaders, long tankers) and have had and seen some of the camera systems mentioned fail, so while quality is an aspect it doesnt always mean Brand names are the Bee and end all, When I bought my first Seiko watch in the Army back in 1965 my mates ribbed me with Cheap Japanese Crap - it wasnt Cheap and I still have that watch on my wrist today and Seiko are one of the top time keepers, So it looks like I,m going to have to compromise by way of a Wireless system (I think thats the way to go I already have a wireless transmitter that sends my Sky to a transmitter/ reciever in the bedroom and into a TV there "from Lidl" and its brilliant ) and a wireless system bought from a uk reputable company which in its self is an anomaly as Basil said what company can Guarantee they wont go Belly up within a certain time period these days , But Thank You all very much your Input has been very Friendly and informative , Thanking you Regards Corky 8-)

Clive - 2008-01-04 10:30 AM

I suppose that if you want a camera on the back of the caravan and don,t want an additional coax cable between the car and caravan then a wireless system is attractive, however I would have thought that having the camera on the back of the towing vehicle (car or motorhome) is more usefull and in this case the simplicity and reliablility of a wired system wins hands down. As Dave said use quality gear of a known and respected pedigree. I would add Orlaco to Dave,s list as its totally commercial equipment and is what I have installed on our MH.

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm

C.

:-S Clive I hope those photo,s were taken while you were installing the system and not done for me . *-) Pheeeeeeeeeeew, Much obliged Clive Corky

corkbuoy - 2008-01-05 6:50 PM

Found this company on the net, does anyone have experience of these cameras. Look to be good quality at a reasonable price.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/reversing-camera.htm

I have 2 of these units fitted to my van. I have just had to take one apart to re-seal because of water ingress. This was easily done.

I cannot recommend them at the mo because the image on my monitor is quite dark and i have to increase the brightness control to almost maximum. As yet I am unsure as to wether this is a cam or monitor fault.

The monitor did not come from the same company as the camera's, but was purchased second hand from another user on another forum.

I think the problem is with the monitor but until I can check cannot be sure.

Pete

www.dogcamsport.co.uk/reversing-camera.htm

I have today taken both camera's off the vehicle for checking and both are suffering from condensation inside the body.

I would advise anyone thinking of trying these units too look elsewhere.

Pete

I have now had Three replies from the three people I contacted asking about the revesing cameras they bought from off E bay ,all three said they are completely happy with the camera and that they are working well ,one was a trucker who has it on his work Vehicle replaceing one that cost three times as much , so I think I will be taking the plunge, after all its only for use when reversing ,I can see far enough behind me when on the road through my rear view mirror , Thanks to all , Corky

Archived