Importing

michele

Guest JudgeMental

I believe, It has to be over 6 months old and you need to make sure vat was paid on it initially. Be careful of company ex hire vehicles as vat pay not have been payed as not due till sold to a private individual....

what are you planning sweetie pie?

Guest Le Thou

As far as I know when you but a german motorhome you have to pay the equivalant of the Grman VAT on it when you buy it. However, when you bring it into the UK and register it as a British vehicle ie to have the relevant year number plates (UK) put on it you will then have to pay import tax of 17.5% on it but I am sure that the German tax that you initially paid is then refunded to you.

Hope that helps.

Tell me more anyone ..

Thanks guys.

I am not planning but a friend is looking into to buying in Germany he has been reading and insists that he wont have to pay tax .

I said that I had read a few threads and I,m sure you would have to pay tax ..He asked me to put it on here whilst they are here .

Guest JudgeMental

Le Thou, not when purchasing secondhand and over six moths old - your scenario is correct if purchasing a new vehicle...

Generaly if you buy goods anywere in EU(inc UK) you have to pay VAT, either at source or on importation, on Motorhomes there is no extra importation tax if brought in EU, so he won't have to pay extra tax just the VAT, this is usualy lower in UK so if buying new you pay UK VAT and reclaim VAT that has been paid in country goods where brought. So yes he is correct you don't pay an import duty

Michele:

A motorhome imported into the UK from within the EU is classed as a New Means of Transport (NMT) if it is LESS than 6 months old OR has travelled LESS than 6000 kms. UK VAT must be paid on an NMT.

Hence, to avoid having to pay UK VAT, the motorhome must not be classed as an NMT, which means that it must be MORE than 6 months old OR have travelled MORE than 6000 kms.

Thanks you everyone .

He isnt buying as yet the whole sales pitch makes it sound so easy .

Trouble is if you dont know you do tend to believe them I would rather get it from the horses mouth so to speak and not get into breaking the law or finding out that you have not budgeted correctly.

Thanks alot

Guest JudgeMental

is your friend intending to buy from a private individual (tax paid) from somewhere like www.mobile.de or from a German dealer?

if a dealer make sure vat has been paid or else he will be liable for it.

Michele

You've forgotten this, haven't you?  :-)

Michelle,

Yes, you drive straight through Customs (now HMR&C) unless you have anything else to declare.

You should NOT be on Trade Plates but sporting a temporary registration plate from the country where you bought it - this is certainly the procedure in France and Germany. If you get a dealer to drive it on their trade plates to the embarcation port, you'll need to get trade plates somehow at the UK arrival port.

On temporary foreign plates, if HMR&C do stop you, I always suggest carrying a copy of the R&C VAT Notice (booklet) on Personal Importation to show the Customs Official you are familiar with the procedure for Uk re-registration

There is no import duty on any goods imported from the EU (but there is from the UK), but you do pay UK VAT on the import at UK rates rather than the rate applicable in the purchase country.

Do you save money? Mostly yes, but more on some makes/ brands than others. Hymer are good for around 15% to 25% off (more on more expensive models, whilst Frankia are better priced in the UK. Used vehicles are also much cheaper - and there is no VAT to pay (it has already been paid in the country of first purchase).

If you want the full story, my MMM Fact Sheets covering 10 pages, dual column, action and information packed, are available from me at Mel Eastburn Fact Sheet, MMM, PO Box 88, Tiverton EX16 7ZN. Please enclose a C5 size SAE envelope (takes A$ folded once) and a cheque payable to my favourite charity (MacIntyre Care) for £7 (much more if you've just won the Lottery!).

Mel E

Your friends should not proceed without first obtaining Mel's paper.  To this they should add the excellent personal import pack available from DVLA (free!) that includes all necessary forms and a very good advisory booklet from the Department of Transport, entitled "How to Import a Vehicle into Great Britain" (booklet P15).  They should read both.  From experience, Mel's paper is easier to follow and understand, because it concentrates on motorhomes, and the booklet covers all types of vehicles.

However, their biggest problem, at present, will be the non-availability of comprehensive insurance for their trip from the dealer to the UK.  Once in the UK they should be insurable, but not before.  They may be advised otherwise, but to the best of my knowledge, it remains the case that only temporary export insurance (which is third party only: no fire, no theft, no accidental damage) can be obtained, and must be bought in Germany.

Therefore, they either have to accept the risk that if their van is written off on the way home they will suffer total loss with no compensation, or pay for transport from the dealer to the port of embarkation, or persuade the dealer to drive the van (and them) to the port of embarkation, or buy through an intermediary such as Bundesvan - www.bundesvan.co.uk - who will accompany them to Germany to choose their van (and translate for them), then collect it and drive it back, register it, and deliver it to their house.  Eddie "borrowed" a dealer's trade plates and therefore drove, as I understand it, on their insurance.  However, I have no knowledge of how legally watertight this arrangement might have been, or whether any other dealer would offer the same solution.

Guest JudgeMental

Mmm.... I had a quick look and as an example, the EuraMobil models similar to mine seem expensive @ 35K. mine had approx 4k off extras and was mid 32k.

the one I looked at on list was advertised as new so presumably price was inclusive of tax. but why would anyone buy from a non EuraMobil dealer at higher prices? also in advert it said 125bhp BUT new model is 130 bhp? so in this example I would want to know if pictures on site (new 130 bhp model) was actually camper for sale*-)

best way is for your friend to identify a number of models they are interested in and look at prices on www.mobile.de then call dealers and negotiate the price down severly lol!

a good time to buy just after Christmas :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2008-01-06 6:53 PM

But a bad time to buy with the Euro so strong against the Pound...

Yes, just back from states and shopping wonderful @ $ 2 per £1 :-D

Euro rates have been pretty disastrous for a while now.....

Hi,

Mine is up for sale.

It is a 2006 LHD Adria 660sp on 2.8jtd. 6 berth with loads of extra's as it is the Jubilee model, which was not brought out in the UK.

I'll take pounds or Euro's !! :-D

If interested, please email me for info and pictures.

Kind regards

Maddie

Michelle,

Just to clarify matters: Import duty is quite separate from VAT. On goods where it applies, carriage costs are added first, then import duty to the total at the applicable rate, then VAT to the carriage and Duty paid total.

However, there is no duty to pay on any goods transported from one EU state to another provided they are for personal use and the purchaser is resident within the EU. Thus a transit van load of wine is clearly NOT purely for personal use and duty is payable.

In the same way, VAT is not normally payable on goods bought within the EU VAT-paid, with the same provisos as for duty. However, motor vehicles are an exception and, for new motor vehicles, VAT is payable in the country of ultimate registration. For used vehicles (defined by HMR&C as vehicles that are at least 6 months old AND have also travelled at least 6,000 Kms) no VAT is payable on transfer to and re-registration in a dirfferent country.

PLEASE NOTE that DVLA give a different definition which is EITHER 6 months old OR has travelled 6,000 Kms. This is not correct, the ruling definition being that given by HMR&C and quoted above.

Mel E

====

Serves me right for referring to the Department for Transport's 'importing' booklet that was handily available in my desk drawer rather than the HMR&C booklet relating to VAT on NMTs that was filed elsewhere in the house.

So let's try that again...

A motorhome imported into the UK from within the EU is classed as a New Means of Transport (NMT) if it is LESS than 6 months old OR has travelled LESS than 6000 kms. UK VAT must be paid on an NMT.

Hence, to avoid having to pay UK VAT, the motorhome must not be classed as an NMT, which means that it must be MORE than 6 months old AND have travelled MORE than 6000 kms. (Exactly as Mel E says.)

I import s/h m/h for a living. I travelled Germany to find suitable dealers. After 3 months of research I found a few dealers worth dealing with. The stock I saw at Whonmobile Galleries would only leave your friend dissapointed. The condition reports seem to get lost in translation. The site is in the middle of nowhere, they offer to collect you from the train station and if you do not purchase a m/h they seem reluctant to take you back to the station. If you want to buy in Germany I would suggest you use the main dealers, not the s/h dealers. Do not be tempted by the big s/h dealers prices, you will be dissapointed.

Archived