food for thought!

linal

my sister and brother in law bought brand new in california [where they live] a fleetwood jamboree coach built with ford v10 motor. in 11 years all they have done is an annual oil change. first service is due at 20k miles! while unfortunately for us in europe when we buy new we have various base vehicle safety recalls to deal with but also the caravan manufactures defects to sort out through the supplying dealer who does not really want to know. it is said we are 10 years behind the US OF A i wonder if we will ever be near their standards.

This could be because the US of A is actually 20 years behind Europe in terms of vehicle technology. Probably because fuel is a damned sight cheaper over there and they therefore haven't bothered to develop smaller, more efficient engines and injection/ignition management technology. Its easy to build big understressed engines that aren't economical to run and therefore require minimal servicing.

D.

our dave is spot on as ever me andsums. ave you ever also looked inside a rv. the same goes for all the caravan equipment - big heavy over engineered and easy to service. ave u ever seen any voringer lightwhite board in a rv? no siree, u gets wood straight from the local forests (of matchwood trees). select your lumberjack sir, and we'll have your new rv furnished by the end of the day. reminds us of building the pig shed on our farm me biddies.

forgot the thread now, all well back to finsh the flagon - cows need milkin first thing.

fred

My modern european built Ford based motorhome will do over 30 to the gallon. Bet their Yank Ford won't.

I've not had any recalls or problems with mine yet and I'm not particularly expecting any.

I must say that I'm quite impressed with ALL of the major european base vehicles' techology (despite water leaksand the like) as well as the evident relaibility. It seems to me that they are improving at quite a rate if you look back over the last ten years.

Archived