Fuel prices

Guest Peter Lawton-Harris

If you wish to bring fuel prices down support my campaign to bring the fuel racketeers down on their knees. We can do it if we all work together. Don't buy fuel from BP or ESSO. It's simple and effective if we all stick together. Peter.

Fuel prices will come down when the demand is reduced. But -- If prices were very low the planet would be on a collision course for certain disaster.

To Shrek. Rubbish the price is not related to the demand it is related to the supply. There is plenty of fuel but the people control the supply in order to get more money out of the customers. The demand will always be going up in this technological society. you should study the law of supply and demand.

I don,t like the cost of Diesel either and I moan about it as do lots of us. For example Diesel is still cheaper in France than it is over here. BUT they have a higher level of VAT (19.6%) than us and pay higher income tax. It would be nice to cherry pick those bits of the economies of other countries that we like and ignore the rest. But life,s not like that. However, the distances people travel tends to be limited by the size of the country, we in the UK have a small country so the government have to get the cash they want out of us from less fuel than say the French. Not using Shell or BP, Get real! Most of us get our fuel from the local supermarket because its cheaper, where do you think they get it from. Tesco, Safeway and Asda / Morrisons do NOT have any oil wells. But from a supermarket forcourt the consumer has no idea who is supplying the fuel. Have a guess? If you want to protest then get on your bike and just don,t buy any fuel. Even today 65% of the fuel price in the UK is TAX. And we are exporting our refined fuel to America so they can continue their extravagant use of it at our expense. What has it shot up to, a stagering 65 cents a litre! I wish! I feel better now I have had my rant! Clive

Shrek. If the demand for fuel drops the price will increase, because the companies and government will still want a profit, so it stands to reason the less you sell the bigger profit margin on what you do sell. We returned from France last Sunday evening we filled up with diesel at Calais at 77p a ltr in Dover the price was 99.9p. So who is making a profit? After all it all comes out of the same holes in the ground.The Americans blame Katrina and Iraq, but then they would have to blame someone as they are always right. As the old protest song went With God on my side !!! David

Well, going by todays news, I must get down the road and fill up all the vehicles while I can. We are stuffed by them all - government and oil companies. If we want it we have to pay for it. Or am I being too defeatist?

For the latest surge in fuel prices I don’t think you need look any further than the hurricane which knocked out New Orleans, and also a large chunk of US production. Obviously that means a calamitous drop in supply, while demand remains about the same, but hopefully in a month or two the facilities will be repaired and things will get back to normal. Meanwhile, if governments were so minded they could release some of their strategic stockpiles. In the longer term, much of the high price is due to taxes, but I agree with Clive: the government has to raise money somehow, and ours has chosen to do so through fuel taxes. They could lower fuel tax, but then we’d have to pay in some other way. Here is where I part company with Clive. In America they pay little tax on their fuel BUT they don’t have the NHS to pick up the (human) pieces after an accident. It is all done by private hospitals, so their vehicle insurance is astronomical compared to ours. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Slightly off the subject, but I read recently that Shell will not open up a new oil field if they feel the cost of production is likely to exceed $25 barrel.

Oh Dear, Oh Dear. It would appear that I have a tad more knowledge about oil production being related to profit generation than my correspondents. As a former oil well driller in Texas and still the owner of an overiding royalty in a Texas oilfield let me assure you that the tap is turned on and off acording to the revenue profits desired and obtainable,it is also a means of conserving the oil when the price is low so that when the resultant shortage creats the demand and we get a better price then we turn the the tap back on. It's so simple and logical I cannot understand why you cannot see that you and I are the manipulated mugs. It has nothing to do with hurricanes etc because this practice goes on and has done for a long time whether there are hurricanes or not. Hurricanes are just another excuse. Incidently I have no influence in whether the oil production is turned on or off this is down to the management.It's out of my hands. But the policy remains the same and is operated worldwide and will continue to do so as long as people refuse to stand up to the big oil companies. Watch the truckers it can be done but then they have more guts apparently than motor-homers. Regards Peter

Guest Robert Cole
The truckers have more guts because they are running a business with a need to turn a profit etc. I didn't spend 50k on a motorhome to start quibbling about fuel prices and/or mpg for that matter. I bought it to enjoy my leisure time. The day I start worrying about prices is the day it goes up for sale. If BP, Esso whatever never sold another litre on the forecourt they would just sell it wholesale to Tesco etc. as previously pointed out. Get real. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's how I feel.

To Robert Cole. I am not in the slightest bit interested in how you feel. When you personalise discussion you have allowed your ego to take over.Are you so full of yourself? Are you not able to discuss matters without dragging your ego in. How infantile to start introducing matters that are irrelevent. Am I supposed to be interested or impressed in how much you paid for a vehicle? You have demonstrated your ignorance of the matter under discussion and sought to impress me by swanking. You have not only failed you have disqualified yourself from further discussion with me. I am fussy with whom I have discussions with.They have to be on a different level to that which you wish to decend. Response from you is neither required or sought I have better things to do with my time.. Peter Lawton-Harris

To:- Mel B&Clive My response to Mr Cole was because of his "I'm alright Jack" attitude. There are out there a lot of young familys who are strugling to pay mortgages and bring up children and working far too many hours and this continuous rip off by the oil moguls and the profits they make is obscene. All uneeded. There is no shortage of fuel I don't see any petrol stations with notices saying they have run out of fuel. Why take it out of the ground when leaving it costs nothing and the potential profit increases. The hurricane and other events have nothing to do with any mythical shortages. Mr Cole does not elevate the debate by introducing what he can afford and how much he paid for his M/H. We were not and are not discussing the situation of those fortunate people whom this fuel increase does not effect but that does not stop us being concerned for those that are adversely effected. I am nursing my Teddy Bear now. regards PL-H

I must say I am certainly not as foolish as PL-H may think. I certainly believe the whole thing about fuel is political and controlled by taps rather than weather. (I just can't get the sand out my ears) But no matter it doesn't give us the fuel. So I also follow the opinion of Robert. As far as MH's go it is (usually) for our pleasure and for the delivery trucks, their livelihood and untimately our pockets. I know the last lot of blockades very nearly cost us our livelihood - we had a conference to build and supply 500 miles away and no fuel to get there. We scrimped and scraped to get there and had to wait another 24 hours after the job to find any fuel to get us home. Sorry but that was more of an injustice to us than the price. And if it happens again I will still feel the same. The MH can stay at home till we can afford the fuel - which thankfully we still can. But without out business, it goes nowhere. So don't assume we don't know the games that are played with our pockets. We are just the pawns of politicians. But just remember it will run out one day! As I said earlier - if we want it we will buy it. Afterall there are still smokers who are happy to spend on ciggies no matter the cost!

Guest Lawton-Harris
To Norma. I cannot see any thing in my repsonse that would indicate That I thought you were foolish. Why so ? Don't put words into my mouth there is no shortage. Regards Peter

Hello Shrek, Despite the PLH answer to your posting the price of most commodities including fuel is related to either demand OR supply. If reduced demand does not affect price then why ask for a boycott of BP and Esso (Reduced Demand)to drive down prices? Rubbish PLH? You should study the law of Supply and Demand.

Mike C If you want to believe that it's fine by me but I know you don't know what you are talking about. Today British Gas put up the price of their gas because as they say the price of oil has gone up. no shortage of gas just lets take the public for another ride. Thet rely on people like you who will believe anything they read in the SUN. Ah well!!! I don' suppose we can do anything about ignorance, there's non as blind as those that don't want to see. regards Peter.

Mike C. Practice, Practice, Practice of course. When I say somebody is wrong it is only an opinion which may have no value and the same applies to you and your opinion does it not ? It's up to me to evaluate your opinion based on my experience which may be greater than yours. Ignorance is bliss Mike.

Bike sales increased, right foot pressure was eased and accident figures were reduced all over europe as a direct result of the recent fuel price increases. Very positive. Easing taxes is not the answer, using the extra money gained to develop roll on roll off train facilities for HGV traffic (the channel tunnel proves that the technology is there) and encouraging less polluting alternatives to petrol is the only way forward.

Now look you lot, if you don't stop abusing those teddy bears I will confiscate them and you can then all go and sulk in peace and quiet!!!! It seems to me that the teddy bears will have the most sensible opinions anyway!!!

To all on tonights news the Gordon Brown has asked the oil companies to increase production in order to bring the price DOWN repeat DOWN. Isn't that what I have been telling you? You come up with all your fancy ideas and it's a lot of ignorant waffle. I am telling you that to get a better price we turn the tao OFF. High prices don't bother me because I make more profit but I am socially concious that these inflated fuel prices cause problems. perhaps I should be like MrCole and say I'm alright Jack

Archived