France Early Spring

David Dwight

Hi folks.

We are thinking of going to France early spring, end March through April. Anyone with information as to the sort of weather we could expect at that time. Especially the Camargue and Provence, also when do the Mossies start to appear in the Camargue.

Thanks

David.

I have regularly visited both Provence and the Rousillon regions of France in the early Spring and have rarely been disappointed by the weather. For the best weather at that time of year you really need to be quite close to the sea. My personal preference is for the Rousillon and the Cote Vermielle - the foothills of the Pyrennees - as they are not so crowded and less expensive. The weather should be warm enough to eat breakfast and lunch outside outside, and possibly dinner. March is sometimes showery - even heavy downpours sometimes - but they don't last and the sun soon returns. You will not be troubled by mossies in April. The best scenery is away from the coast, unfotunately. Be sure to visit the Corbières and the Cathare castles. Lots of good aires inland, but not many actually on the coast. In early March you might just catch the mimosa and the almond and cherry blossom!

Brian

I've passed that way every Spring for the last 4 years. I'm always amazed at how cold it is that time of year and did'nt realise that that area of France had so much rain. I normally end up in Spain somewhere along the Costa Brava where the weather tends to be warmer and drier.

Go to the Camargue during late April and thereafter and you will be troubled by mosquitoes. Last April in Sete we were eaten alive by mossies during the day and fled initially to the wildcamping area on the beach road which was fine and then to Spain which was great.

The Camargue is a beautiful area but my wife vows never to return again.

The usual Axiom is South of the Loire and you are fine, personally I am not so sure.

I usually head to the Provence region that gives me the option of popping over to Spain if the weather is not too good.

There are advantages such as Mossies, or lack of, the Camargue is a complete nightmare for Mossies.

You just have to get lucky

We have been going down to Provence every year for the last 10 years at that time and, like BrianR, are 'rarely dissappointed'. Usually plenty of sunshine and warm enough for shorts etc. The one thing you do need to be prepared for is the Mistral. This cold northerly wind coming down the Rhone valley can be very uncomfortable, and once it has set in it can last a few days. So you might find the Camargue a bit exposed. We usually head for the hills on either side of the Rhone valley (eg Mt Ventoux foothills or Luberon on the east, or Ardeche or Montagne Noire on west) where it is then possible to find shelter in a valley or on a south facing slope. Also a couple of times had cold easterly wind on the coast that required evasive action. But that's where the motorhome is so usefull; just move off to find shelter for a few days and then back when weather improves. Go for it!

Colin

Archived