motorhoming abroad first time

joankitch

We have recently bought a Hymer and would love to go abroad soon Spain/Portugal somewhere warm. Reading scary stories puts you off a bit. Any tips , advice would be appreciated or better still some company going our way so to speak. We live in Somerset. Some info would be great from you experienced lot. Sue

Wellcome to the wonderful world of mortorhomeing, you have come to the right forum to get plenty of advice. This motorhome section for the serious matters and chatterbox for light hearted bannter and loads of advice. Firstly to awnser your question, the scary stories you are hearing are just that scarey stories, a bit of common sence like in anything and you will have a great holiday, if possible get a reasonable sat nav for abroad you will find lots of information about them on various threads on here, you will find they can take lot of stress away, Another tip is perhaps buy some camping cheque's these will let you plan ahead a bit and work out reasonable approx £10.30 per night including electric a good reduction, alternativley join the Camping and Caravan Club they organise Rallys in Portugal & Spain and will organise most things for you . and you will meet a lot more motorhomers on them who I am sure will give you any advice to care to ask. Also get your self a camping carnet which will help when booking on sights. I am sure you will get a lot more advice but Just enjoy your new motorhome. Carol.

Hi sue

My very first trip abroad was on my own in a 34' american RV travelling down through France tp Alemria for a couple of months.

I was, naturally, nervous but also excited and the trip didn't disappoint either.

You will find most of europe is much more motorhome friendly than the UK with many local communities welcoming you and even providing motorhome stopover areas (aires in France) where you can often stay fro one or two nights - sometimes free - sometimes just for a few euros. This is a great way to break your journey until you get to where you are going for a longer stay.

You may have heard or read about motorhomers being robbed (often this is reported as the occupants being gassed but you should read the pinned post on gas attacks) and sensible precautions should be taken as much as you would here in the UK. There are several types of 'aires' and the best advice is not to stay overnight on motorway aires as these are invariably the places targeted by theives.

It is easier than ever, even for those of us with pets, to tour abroad now and it is much much easier than it first appears.

Go on - take the plunge!

Regards, David

Hello & welcome

We normally tour Germany, prefering the area in the south - Bavaria.

As others have said, it's generally safe, just follow the basics really.

In Germany you are - by law able to "Wild camp" for up to 3 days.

In most large towns & cities there are areas called "stelpltaz", where you can stay. Here you can fill up with water, empty your waste water & chemical toilet. Some charge & some leave it up to the owners with a little honesty box.

My advice would be to join one of the major clubs like the Caravan Club.They have two books which lists all the sites in Europe, which are a great help if traveling around.

Take the plunge and enjoy.

Thai

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome Sue! You do not reveal the nature of "scary stories" that concern you.... Assuming theft are amongst them, may I suggest your first thoughts should be for security.

A decent alarm that can be set while sleeping ( allowing internal sensors to be turned of while external on)

extra cab door and camper door locks (heosafe probably cheapest)

dead locks on cab doors.

then you can sleep safely in the knowledge you have done all that can be resonably expected. I have been visiting Europe for 35 years without incident.

decent breakdown insurance

van serviced etc.....

Hi Sue and welcome to the winter travellers.

I agree with everything you will have read above. We have been wintering in Spain/Portugal for the past 11 years and had no problems but we have met people who have. Usually they have had problems parking up in places where you would doubt your security if you were in the UK. So basically a bit of common sense and you will be OK.

As well as taking a sat nav and good maps for the places you plan to visit it is also a good idea to talk to other m/homers you will meet on the way. We are generally a friendly bunch and usually willing to share info on the best routes and places to visit.

remember that you will be covering a lot more mileage in a short length of time than you would in the UK going to rallies etc so the advice above about getting the 'van serviced before you go is very appropriate - also get the tyres checked! Whilst you are at it make sure that the life support sustems in the 'van are all OK. This includes, not only, the gas systems and battery but such things as the water pump and fridge. I say this as although there are m/home dealers in Spain and Portugal they are a bit thinner on the ground than in the UK and parts are not always immediately available. There is also the language barrier to cope with too.

As a personal preference we have found the Portuguese friendlier than the Spanish and now spend our hard earned there.

Wherever you decide on I hope you enjoy it - don't worry just go with the flow and you will find it a lot easier than you think.

Cheers

Guest Tracker

COMMON SENSE - a large portion of - is all you really need.

If there are signs of neglect and crime don't stop, or if you must stop don't leave the van unattended and keep the doors and windows shut.

Litter, broken glass (especially car window safety glass), kids (and adults) hanging about, dark secluded areas, car parks and lay bys on main roads are the main areas to avoid.

Be cautious of unsolicited 'help' being offered or sought and of anyone in a passing car pointing at the van and telling you to stop. If you can't see a problem in your mirrors and can feel no problem with the handling chances 'are there is no problem.

Lots of advice and publications from all three clubs and CC and CCC offer 'ferry and site' packaged holidays, if that would make you feel more comfortable? Not for us though as we prefer to roam - even first time - but I can see the advantage if it suits your style?

Otherwise with the exception of aires and stellplatz where the locals want you to stay the principles of motor caravanning are the same as in the UK.

Camping card ACSI is a good source of both information and off peak discounted sites, and there are numerous books of aires etc all of which differ slightly and none of which are totally up to date (in our view).

Hi For me spain is a bit of a waste of time re motorhoming, but get a copy of the camperstop book which lists many good places to overnight at great prices, ie around 3 to 10 euros, sometimes free. and enjoy. Like others have said just take care, if it feels wrong then move on. There are 1000,s of motorhomes in use in europe and they know alot more more about making good use of their time out then ever we brits do, so get out and there and enjoy.terry

Take your time as you go down through France. You'll find it surprisingly easy to drive on the 'wrong side of the road' because of the lack of traffic on their roads, particularly motorways. (Mind you, big town and city centres anywhere are not a place I like to drive).

French facilities for motorhomes are better than anywhere but don't expect Spain to be anywhere near as welcoming, not because they are particularly bad but because the French are so good.

Like others have said, if it don't look to be a safe place to stop then it probably isn't. Move on and apply a bit of common as you would in GB and you are unlikely to come to any harm.

Have fun!!

Hi, we went to France & Spain within 2 months of getting our first van and it was the bestest time we have ever had! As above for advice, common sense being the first thing you should take.

Here are some things we found helped.

1. Keep small notes and change handy for the tolls and fees on aires, (if you are going to use them.)

2. Remember to buy a 2 pin hook up adaptor for your cable. When on an aire yo may notice that sevreal people will use the plug in socket via a multi adaptor. If there is a free socket just follow the cable and ask if they don't mind you joining in! They usually will offer anyway, or just buy your own and make friends that way.

3. Rough Guide/Lonely Planet guides are great for finding out about things to see. Get speaking to others on the sites too for info. Tourist Info Centres are great too, and many have internet access if you don't fancy taking a computer with you at first.

4. If you are touring for a whilr remember to budget like you would at home. Don't batter the plastic like you would on a 2 week holiday!

5. If you can, don't have a fixed itinerary. You won't keep to it and there is a possibility that you will miss lots of interesting things if you are rushing to get somewhere.

6. The spots on aires can't be booked and so you will need to get there by mid afternoonish if you can. You may find that the Dutch and Germans have been on the road since dawn and will have got there already!

7. Camp sites in Europe tend to be not as structured and regimented as they are in the UK, so be prepared to get "close up and cosy" with your neighbours. Especially true on an aire.

There are tons more tips you will pick up. most you will ignore! Just go and try it for yourselves, I'm sure you will love it. :-D

joankitch - 2008-01-06 7:00 PM We have recently bought a Hymer and would love to go abroad soon Spain/Portugal somewhere warm. Reading scary stories puts you off a bit. Any tips , advice would be appreciated or better still some company going our way so to speak. We live in Somerset. Some info would be great from you experienced lot. Sue

Sue

If the responses above don't allay all your fears, just tell us what really worries you (driving, language, shopping, security etc), and we'll try to sort you out with some more specific do's and don'ts.

Brian Kirby - 2008-01-07 6:44 PM

Sue

If the responses above don't allay all your fears, just tell us what really worries you (driving, language, shopping, security etc), and we'll try to sort you out with some more specific do's and don'ts.

and you'll be surprised how soon you will feel that you are in a position to add comments to threads like this. :-o

Sue

I also travel a lot in France never had a problem Don't forget to take your insurance certificate, copy of invoice for proof of ownwership and log book or copy (we still have buff hand written log books here) I have never been asked for them but you never know. Buy a small safe and fit it in an obscure place to keep your passports and docs in they only cost about £25 well worth it. We also carry an old hand bag with old credit cards old mobile phone and other useless items incase we did get broken into then hopefully the thieves would take this and look no further.

We use a mixture of municiple aires and camp sites we have never had a problem any where. you can pick up a book of camping car aires at most news agents/ tabacs in france, the caravan club do a very good sitebook for europe.we use the michelin atlas touristque map book it contains lots of info. driving in france is not a problem make sure your mirrors are clean and well adjusted, some junctions can be tricky so the co driver has to look for you. French drivers drive far to close to your rear end, but this seems the norm and they do not tend to give way. don't for get your headlamp beam converters. you will have a great time good luck

Hi and welcome

The following site gives one some invaluable information.

Distances, tolls, average fuel consumption etc and there is a section for when you arrive and just what there is there to see.

Examine it closely and it could be a great friend

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

This next site will help you with your camping sites too

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/italy/

Our first year abroad was last year and we found it just great, it is so easy.

Enjoy

I agre with the earlier comment on the relative friendliness off the Portuguese and Spaniards and have found it much more relaxing campervanning in Portugal. Unfortunately neither country has a network of official "aires". For France, if you go to http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm. Click on "Cliquez pour entrer" in the centre of the page, then "Rechercher une aire" half way down on the LHS. Then click on the depatment number that interests you on the map. When the department information loads, click on "English" in the top left corner and you will get a guide to how the site works, in english. Each aire has comments appended by users, so you can get a better idea of what you are likely to find than from a guide - some of the comments are in english. There is also a pop-up map showing the aire's location. You can also buy the DVD-ROM which has all the aires details except, unfortunately, the maps.

We bought our Euromobil a year ago, worried a bit about going to Spain, so we started with France in May 07, pottered around and didn't book any sites, just turned up and asked for a pitch for the night.

We went to Spain in October travelling down from Santander well west of Madrid as we had heard so many scare stories about the bandits on the motorways there. We ended up at Conil de la Frontera at a recommended campsite and stayed a week. I think thought that at this time of year that particular site will be full as when we were there, people were arriving for several months stay. others had booked for three months from early January.

We found most campsites receptionists helpful and most had enough English to understand and explain things to us.

Happy travelling

Archived