Car / Trailer insurance

Guest Le Thou

Guest Le Thou

Having a Smart car on a trailer behind the Miami what's the insurance aspect.? The motorhome insurance covers the Miami and the Smart car insurance covers the car when driving it, but do I need an additional insurance to cover any incidents involving the car/trailer whilst in transit,

Worse case scenario, car leaves trailer or trailer becomes detatched or trailer gets puncture etc etc, God forbid, so can I insure against this ?

I am insured through Motor Caravan Insurance Agency ltd ( MCIA) and tow a motorbike on a trailer.

They insure me for injury to third parties and damage to third parties whilst towing a trailer.

Damage to my motorbike and trailer is not covered. Presumably, I would have to claim on the motorbike insurance...must check that !

The policy document does stipulate " The towing must be allowed by law and the vehicle being towed must be properly attached to your car"

Standard practice with trailers is that the towing vehicle provides Third Party cover only for the trailer and contents (e.g., for any damage they do if the tow bar breaks whilst uner tow (yes, it has happened to me!)).

To provide comprehensive cover for the trailer itself, a separate policy is required.

To provide comprehensive cover for the trailer's contents requires either a separate policy or for the underwriter of the contents insurance (e.g., a car, aircraft, glider, etc.) to confirm to you in writing that the contents (your car) are covered whilst being towed on the trailer.

Mel E

====

Archived