Colour Matched Bumpers

Mike B.

A while ago there was an article in the mag about a company who specalised in colour matching bumbers on vans-does anybody remember which edition it was? I've trawled through loads of back issues without success. If anybody can remember which month or company I would be very grateful

Thanks

Mike

i agree, the best option would be to take it to a "GOOD" local body shop. there is nothing different ibetween a car bumper and a motorhome bumper, but i do emphasise the word "GOOD" as if you opt for a cheap job, i guarentee after a short while the paint will peel away. always ensure that the person doing the work will be prepping the bumpers correctly first and applying a plastic sealer / primer before spraying. all reputable bodyshops will do this anyway but please do check. the only other issue may be with the height of you vehicle ..

Mike B:

I don't recall an MMM piece about bumper painting, but I'd be tempted to look through articles by Lindsay Porter as it's the sort of thing he'd choose to inflict on his long-suffering VW T5-based Leisuredrive Crusader.

As has already been said, spraying plastic bumpers is an everyday task for car-bodywork repair companies. With a motorhome I would have thought the task would be made a good bit easier if the bumper is first removed from the vehicle.

I can't see why the height of the vehicle should be an issue. Take it off beforehand and spray it. There's only four bolts holding it on and it takes about ten minutes to remove it. I couldn't believe how flimsily it is attached on the Sevel vans. I sprayed my own with Cellulose after priming it. I used this paint because it is cheap and readilly available and a doddle to spray as it dries almost instantly. Also it's easy to touch up with an aerosol from Halfrauds. I would not recomend using a basecoat and clear system, as this has a clear laquer on the top which makes it almost impossible to touch it up. Because the laquer has an Isocyanate hardener added which re-painting will not adhere to very well. It also makes it very hard to blend in the repair work with the old paint.

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I have had the van down the local Body Shop for an estimate and the chap has recommended having it removed, plasticised, primed, rubbed smooth and sprayed for £300 + vat and wants the van for 3 days. With the amount of work involved this sounded reasonable to me-any opinions?

Thanks

Mike

Archived