Alps

Hopesy

We're planning a trip to the French Alps in July for a special anniversary. This will be the first trip abroad in the 'van but not the first to France. I'm thinking of using aires as a stop off on route but using a CC or CCC site or similar for the main stay. We'll be crossing to dover so does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable stop off aire (i don't know how far we''ll get because i've only driven cars abroad) and any suggestions for a good site around Annecy and Mont Blanc. We've only got 10 days and will need to be near (cycling distance) to a "touristy" type centre.Booking the main site seems preferable apparently because of the holiday season.

Any help much appreciated in this early planning stage.

Hi Hopesy

We went to the Alps last Sept, it's so pretty. We stopped off for a night at Chaumont which I estimated was about half way. We intended to stay at the aire, couldn't find it and ended up at the municipal site which was pretty grotty but never mind!

Next day drove to Chamonix and stayed 1 night at the aire there. It's 5 mins walk into the town and under the shadow of Mont Blanc. There were quite a few vans staying there so we felt safe and it had a security barrier where you paid before leaving.

Next we went to Lake Annecy and stayed at a lovely site adjoining the lake (I believe it's the only 1 on the banks of the lake but I could be wrong). The name of the site is Campsite International du Lac Bleu. The views there are stunning - mountains and the lake itself. Sanitary facilities excellent and it has a pool and bar. Just a short walk up the road there's a jetty where you can get a boat for a return trip up to Annecy town which is very worthwhile. There's a small village within walking distance where you'll find a small supermarket and bakery. There's also a petrol station and large supermarket within a short drive. We liked this site very much and stayed for 4 nights.

While visiting Annecy town we also noticed an aire but we didn't use it simply as we were by then ready to move on to the Vendee.

Hope you find this useful and enjoy your anniversary and trip. It's our 30th this year and we're planning a 3 week trip.

Regards,

carol

I have just returned from a skiing trip to the alps. When I get a chance I will update my blog with a really nice site. Also I have discovered a couple of little gems of aries, that I will post on my blog for you too look at. Give me a couple of days.

Archived