Which Van to Upgrade to?

snobbyafghan

This is the very early stage of considering an upgrade. I know when it gets more serious I'll have to read the reviews and go to dealers but just for now, I invite the rest of you to indulge in a little, cosy, winter wish list making.

OK - we bought a Romahome Dimension 2 last August and it's great - exactly what we wanted. We've used it regularly since, been to France for a couple of weeks. Done some club sites, parked outside friends and relatives etc. So far so good. But now we're thinking that if we had a slightly bigger van (and could sort out the internet - but that's another story) we could go abroad for extended stays provided I could do a bit of work on the laptop in the van. Unfortunately, the Dimension is too small.

We need something whereby I can sit down and work without occupying most of the living area and making moving round in the van for others too difficult. We are not bothered about bigger bathrooms and permanent beds but will probably get those whether we want them or not with a bigger van. Although the Dimension was new, I'd not object to second-hand for the bigger one - say up to 2 years old. I want to be able to drive on an ordinary licence so we are looking at something one or two sizes up from the Dimension. Price? Let's say up to £45,000.

Anyone care to suggest the ideal van?

Doug

Guest Tracker

A nice Autosleepers Talisman might suit because some come with twin pulman style side dinettes which will make either two single beds, a small double bed on one side or a combination of bed and dinette or finally a huge double bed using all the cushions.

Not the best insulated of vans but for warm climate use they work well.

They look good, drive well, are well made and now being out of production run the risk of becoming a future classic - if you keep it long enough.

If and when I change my van I would visit motorhome shows where you can see a much bigger range of sizes and designs, and not just visit dealers, where the range is necessarily limited.

Apart from the amount of room inside the van, I would suggest that size also depends on where you intend to keep it and, to a certain extent, where you intend to go in it.

I wouldn't suggest 'the ideal van' because that is very much a personal choice ( in the same way that I wouldn't suggest an 'ideal' place to go).

Take your time - and good luck with the search.

;-)

Malc - of course you're right and that's what I intend to do. This was really partly an invite to others to fantasise about which van would be ideal for the job as well as giving me some pointers to kick off with. For example, I must have a look on-line to see what the Talisman is like - thanks Tracker.

Doug

snobbyafghan - 2008-01-08 5:00 PM

Malc - of course you're right and that's what I intend to do. This was really partly an invite to others to fantasise about which van would be ideal for the job as well as giving me some pointers to kick off with. For example, I must have a look on-line to see what the Talisman is like - thanks Tracker.

Doug

O.k. Doug --- I'll take a chance and mention one or two.

Size-wise, I would suggest a high top van conversion.

Why ?

Easier to park

Goes almost anywhere a car can go ( except under height barriers !).

Relatively well streamlined so reasonable fuel consumption.

If you get a turbo diesel engine the power to weight means it will climb almost any mountain you are likely to come across.

Cheaper on ferries than larger vans.

(Same driving licence as a car, regardless of your age as far as I know)

Examples: Lots. But those that come to mind are Autosleeper Duetto and Topaz, Timberland Freedom, Autosleeper Symbol, I.H. Oregon, Murvi Morello, Devon Conversions,etc,etc

(Plenty listed in the back of MMM).

Then there is a low profile coachbuilt - again, plenty listed in MMM

Enjoy your search...

:-)

One worth a look at may be the Hymer 584 which is the bar virsion which has a free standing but very unatrusive table with no leg, the captains chair swings around and you could make yourself very comfortable with your lap top work space, another big advantage is the length just under 6 meters, so quite handy parking and on ferry fare's. Whatever you choose in the end happy hunting. Carol.

Guest JudgeMental

Are you adverse to saving money and going LHD?

if not, my pick for long journeys would be an upscale New EuraMobil model such as the EuraMobil terrestra, low roof (or high roof model)

http://www.euramobil.de/_neuheiten_gb_2008/neuheiten_03.html

It is a beautiful van and probably our next in a couple of years when the kids stop coming. about 40k from (Belgium) and over 10k cheaper then the Contura - another nice model.

if you want a van conversion, I would look German again. they are far cheaper. the Karman Mobil "Davis" or new euramobil "quixta"

http://www.karmann-mobil.de/frameset_start_uk.htm

have seen the Davis and the finish is superb much better then UK variants and at just under £30k a bargain compared to the mad price of similar UK vans.

But you really need to go and sit in a few for a while to decide.......

hope this help's Eddie

Another thing I would suggest when / if you are looking at van conversions is to see how the bed is made up.

How long it takes, how many different cushions are involved and where they are stored during the day.

If it takes time, just imagine doing it every night for a couple of weeks.

( Plus - do the cushions take up valuable locker space during the day).

A couple for consideration, Maesss Mini S2 or 2,

The mini 2 is similier to Adria Twin but rear bed converts to 4 seat diner, so one person can sit at back using laptop and front table is still availible.

mini S2 is based on MWB van similier layout but you 'only' get 2 front seats on top of rear 4

Ideal van for us, was the marquis lankashire (old model 2007) fits in a normal parking bay, seats up to eight people (on site) very easy double bed, or 2 singles, reasonble shower/toilet, well i'm six foot three and over twenty stone, and manage quite easily, 32 mpg.

pete

I have always said that lay-out was most important as that is something one can't change, it is built in and fixed and that is the way it would stay. I always liked the lay-out of the Autotrail Cherokee "L" but when I eventually found one (Pre-loved as I can't afford new) I found it had water ingress through the coach built body joints and water logged wooden frames, so the dealer took it back rather than pay out on the warranty work. I then bouight a 'pre-loved' Autosleeper Legend on a diesel Transit, rear wheel drive, monocoque construction G.R.P. body. no joints to leak, no wooden frames to rot, very small overhang behind the rear wheels, only about 20% of the wheel base (some 'vans are up to 60%) I'm very happy with this one although lay-out is not perfect, but usable. Just keep looking and brain picking. Rear wheel drive has better traction on wet grass etc: Best of luck.....David (Ranger)

Archived