Gaslow

Tanskavan

Tanksavan

I recently fitted my own Gaslow bottle and filler cap which I bought from my local dealer, to be honest if I can fit it anybody can!

No wanting to drill holes in the van for the filler cap I used an L shaped bracket in the gas compartment and fitted it to it. I only use one Gaslow bottle and the other is a BP lightweight.

Have ago!

Paul

Hapiness is no white bits

I fitted 2x11kg bottles in my Auto trail about 3 yrs ago. I also made and fitted a L shaped bracket in the gas locker for the filler they now do a bracket like brace fitted to the bottles.

I didnt want a great big hole drilled in the van plus you can move the system from one vehicle to another.

It was a bit fiddly due to the lack of space but not out of the scope of compatent DIY person.

I certainly would not go back to lugging gas bottles about.

Pete

Tanskavan - 2008-01-08 8:05 PM

Has anyone had these products fitted recently in the South Yorkshire area? I am looking for a supplier who can fit at my location or near by to South Yorkshire

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tanskvan

I had mine fitted in Darlington, I don't know how close that is for you but the chap does a cracking job, but I would insist on all stainless steel pipes.

I would not put the filler iside the gas locker some stations frown on this because they then no its not for running your vehicle. I had an L shaped bracket fitted on the bottom of the sill and the filler was fitted to this.

The advice about getting it fitted at a show I have found that it is dearer than I paid at the shows I have visited.

I can PM you the address if Darlington is any good to you

Terry

Hi Bob,

I fitted my Gaslow system a few years ago, the filler cap is situated inside the gas locker between the two cylinders, so I need to leave the gas locker door open while refueling.

Because of forum remarks, I was always a bit apprehensive about topping up, especially on one occasion when I couldn't get the pump to work. No worries though, the chap from the office came over and operated the pump for me, he needed to thump the pump to get it to start, apparently they work the same as some coffee machines!

Having used the system all over europe now - I have no concerns about filling the gas cylinders at petrol stations.

Regards Terry

bob b - 2008-01-09 9:26 PM

Terry,

Re position of filler nozzle.

Do garages have a problem with one filling gas cylinders for domestic use ? I was not aware of that.

Hi bob b

I have not encountered any trouble myself but i have read other peoples threads that they have had garages claim that there gas is for vehicle propultion and not for domestic use.

some forum members may see this thread and add there views on this matter

Terry P

I read a lot of the posts regarding problems with garages refusing to let you refill bottles, so decided on the alternative option. I had a 55lt lpg tank fitted to the Hymer, it sits between the step and rear wheel and is fixed to the chassis. It fits between the chassis and the outer skirt of the van and for all accounts and purposes, looks as though it is designed to be there. There is a normal lpg filler fitted to the skirt, and there is a isolator switch on the dash (for ferries,tunnel etc).I had the option of an automatic isolator which cut off the supply when the ignition was on but decided against it.

All done by a licenced lpg fitter near to me for £300. Not only is lpg available almost everywhere, it's cheaper than bottled gas, plus I now have an extra locker for my junk.

donna:

That's remarkably cheap. I looked at CAK's price list and the overall cost of a tank + bits (excluding installation) was well over £500.

Certainly, if one can get a fixed 55ltr LPG tank for £300 'fully fitted', it makes little financial sense to opt for a refillable-bottle system instead.

Are you able to say who did the work for you, please?

Hi derek

Price was amazing, It was done by a Polish guy called Andrew who runs an LPG fitting business on the Penalta Industrial Estate, which is near Ystrad Mynach, Caerphilly. I haven't got his phone number to hand, but will post it when I find it.

Apparently, nearly every car in Poland has been converted to run on gas, even 20 year old Ladas.

donna miller - 2008-01-11 1:23 PM

Hi derek

Price was amazing, It was done by a Polish guy called Andrew who runs an LPG fitting business on the Penalta Industrial Estate, which is near Ystrad Mynach, Caerphilly. I haven't got his phone number to hand, but will post it when I find it.

Apparently, nearly every car in Poland has been converted to run on gas, even 20 year old Ladas.

Is this him???

http://www.professautogas.co.uk/contact.htm

Bryan

Fitted 2 cylinders to my MH. IT IS NOT a high tech job. The proceedures are exactly the same as when you are changing a cylinder. If you can change a cylinder then you can fit a system.

The filling point may need a bit of thought depending on what you want. I decided to make and fit a bracket in the locker which was not difficult. ( I understand you can purchase a suitable bracket) Drilling the body would not have presented a problem to me either.

Any plumber would be able to fit it for you.

Hiya sshortcircuit

I take your point about fitting your own Gaslow cylinders but Donna’s is a bulk tank fitted to the chassis & comes in at less than the cost to purchase a 22kg DIY Gaslow system, add to this the benefit of freeing up a very useful wet locker & this sounds like a great deal.

I also like the idea of a piece of paper that states that the system was installed by a licensed LPG fitter. God forbid, but if anything should go wrong, i feel this may come in handy.

B.T.W. I am in no way implying that your system is not safe, but not everyone will feel comfortable tackling a project involving LPG.

Bryan

A small caveat on fitting below-floor LPG tanks. This should present no great problems as long as the motorhome has a traditional 'ladder type' chassis (like that of a Dethleffs Advantage A-6771SG) but it may prove much more difficult (perhaps impossible) if the the vehicle is based on a platform-cab chassis with a sheet-steel floor pan.

hymerdriver - 2008-01-10 10:06 PM

Has anyone been able to have theese bottles refilled in Italy. I was refused permission to fill mine 3 times last year.

Thanks

do they come running out and tell you to stop?

I was in italy, but made it to france to fill up........had no probs there.

Back in italy in may, so will fill up even if we dont need to, just to see what happens :-D

• 2 months later...

They are so simple to fit even on the outside, would not recommend inside the locker as some filling stations are a bit awkward and any way it is so fidlly having to open and close the locker door where in some filling areas thereis not a lot of room to do this, the coupling unit needs a 70mm hole, no problem as you can get for less than a £1 at the shows a circular a vent to replace the coupling unit when changing 'vans as I did last year so the job is done for the next person to do the same if needed, and the vent looks as if it was supposed to be there.

When purchasing the equipment buy the extended stainless steel flexi hoses, perfect. Would never go back to carring bottles again and for travelling on the continent this would be the first gizmo I would put on any 'van.

Curly

Terrytraveller - 2008-01-10 9:40 AM

Because of forum remarks, I was always a bit apprehensive about topping up, especially on one occasion when I couldn't get the pump to work. No worries though, the chap from the office came over and operated the pump for me, he needed to thump the pump to get it to start, apparently they work the same as some coffee machines!

I had the same uncertainty, and the same experience last week. Nearest supplier to my home is a garage 7 miles away, so when I realised the cylinder was supplied empty, I trundled over there. My filler is on the outside, looks just like a "road-fuel" LPG point, but when I struggled to make the pump work the attendant came out to show me where to thump it.

She then mentioned a "loyalty" scheme they run, which only applies if you buy 30ltrs at a time. I took a deep breath and confessed that I wasn't LPG-powered, it was just a "domestic" bottle inside I was refilling so I'd never buy 30ltrs. She didn't bat an eyelid at this, quite happy to let me fill up.

While we're on this, the gauge on mine is stuck at Empty, even when I've just filled up. Am I missing something, or does that just need a thump as well?

Archived