Coeliac travellers

Guest linda

Hello Campers ! I am a coeliac of 25+ years and need a gluten free diet; on our travels we have met many coeliac's who struggle with the bland diet & especially the shopping difficulties abroad- how about forming a Campers Coeliac Advisory Group? We have brought a Remoska which helps with varying the dietary meals however I am getting a little fed up of using our precious space to take bread, biscuits & pasta with me. How do you other coeliacs get on? Linda

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
A friend also has the same condition, they take a bread maker with them and plenty of packs of the special bread mix, obviously to be used when on hook up. They said that some of the hypermarkets in France and Germany are now stocking the gluten free bread mixes, it may be worth checking your phrase books for the phrase 'gluten free,suitable for Coeliacs'

Guest Roy Hamilton
Hi Linda As a coincidence I see in this months issue of The Oldie (a great little mag for us getting on a bit, find it in WHS) an item in Rosie Boycott's column where she tells about a site, address http://www.gluten-free-onthego.com/. I hope this may be of some use to you.

Guest linda erskine
Many thanks for the replies - I have been pondering over a bread-maker but not happy to pay out loads to get a (as normal) concrete brick that even the birds dont want! Thanks Roy - I will investigate The Oldie mag - sounds interesting even if I/we dont feel old just oldish and want to retire and enjoy our camper more.... especially to find the sun in the Winter !! Linda

Hi Linda, my wife is also Coeliac, we take a supply of bread plus the gluten free flour mix. This is ideal for making Victoria sandwiches which keep fresh and edible for days, or small baps that we put in the freezer section of the fridge The ready made bread bread and baps are refreshed by putting them in a sealed polythene food bag and boiling in a pan of water for a few minutes, this works just as well as the microwave oven, Thelma and Ray g0kyk@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Linda While I am not able to help on the Coeliac problem My wife is diabetic and gets fed up of the diet To this end and hoping to get some "more interesting" recipes I have emailed Ainsley Harriot on the coookery program at www.bbc.co.uk/lifestile/food to request them to put on some suitable recipes for diabetic and others who require to be carefull with their diet It may help if more people send in the same request

Hello and thanks for the replies. My gosh I wouldn't have thought of putting my frozen offerings into a pan of water -many thanks for that idea Thelma & Roy. We have a little Autosleeper and therefore a little freezer which I normally pile with gf sausages etc. but now I will cram a little more in. Pete C - I will also put a request onto bbc website, I spend a lot of time promoting our special diets because it does annoy me thatin general pubs & restaurants always have a veggie mealoption available-which in my opinion is a choosen diet but not many normally have a list of options for diabetic or coeliac which is NOT a choosen diet. Sorry all veggies out there. My gripe for the day over. Linda

Hi Linda, just a pleasant thought. All the space that we have to cram with gluten free food before we travel can be filled with wine etc before we come home. Thelma would have only filled the available space with clothes that we would have not worn anyway. We have an Autosleeper exec with an oven so are able to bake while travelling. Gluten free bread mix makes good pancakes, just substitute it for normal flour and make them thin, covered with sugar and lemon juice, even I can enjoy them. Regards Ray.

Archived