Side panels.

Martyn Ward.

I know this is not strictly a motorhome question so you'll have to indulge me :D

I'm in the process of constructing a twin axled box trailer to pull behind the Swift. I'm not sure what materials to use for cladding the outside of the box with, although I'm fairly open as to choice. Does anyone know of any suppliers of aluminium or grp sheets so's I can check out prices/sizes etc. One thought I had was to use the sides from a dead lorry but there seems to be a lack of commercial breakers down here in Dorset.

Much thanks.

Martyn.

Dave Newell reclad his camper in shiney new alumnium when he had to do major work on it due to damp ingress, he'll probably be along at some point tonight (when the pubs shut! (lol) ) so might be able to point you in the right direction. :-D

Hi Martyn, Mel is right I did reskin our motorhome a couple of years ago, I'll have to dig out the details of the aluminium supplier I used but they are up here in the midlands, Stoke if I remember correctly. Form memory it cost me about £500 for enough 0.9mm unpainted ally to do our motorhome. Obviously you won't need as much as I did but metal prices are at a high at the moment so it could be around the £500 region anyway. When I get into the office in the morning I'll see if I can find the details of my suppliers for you.

I haven't been to the pub Mel >:-(

D.

Hi Martyn,

You could try the people who supply flight case manufacturers. Flight cases have to take a fair amount of punishment when they are on tour with the big bands. I think trailer manufacturers use similar material.

www.adamhall.co.uk

www.penn-elcom.com

They also sell aluminium extrusions, pop rivets etc.

John

Hi Martyn, you didn't say what size of trailer? Have you thought of using marine ply? Weight for weight it is stronger that steel, will take a good bashing and paint up nice. Won't look as nice as Daves Highwayman, but he puts Nivea Cream on every morning to stop his new skin from wrinkling.

Archived