Scottish Highlands

Guest Le Thou

Guest Le Thou
Has anyone toured the Highlands early summer? Fancy a few CL's and a bit of Fly fishing, any good / bad points or recommends would be welcome.

Never been bothered on the East side we went up to Ullapool and Inverness, but we were eaten alive when we went to Loch Long and I think they can be a problem near Oban, Mull etc; but they do say spring and Autumn they are not a problem, But we love Scotland anyway so they rarely put us off.

I've been to the Highlands and Islands 8 or 9 times in the past few years and midges have never been a problem late May/June except walking on the Crinan canal and at Loch Rannoch forestry commission campsite.

On the west coast its usually too windy!

You will need to consider the rules of single track roads. The locals take priority, develop the single finger acknowledgement, always stay two passing places behind the vehicle in front and never, ever park in a passing place.

If you like you shouldn't have any trouble finding 'wild' camping sites if you stay away from towns. Most 'proper' laybys have 'no overnight camping' signs on them.

Peter

The Highlands are beautiful but the midges can be horrendous. As has already been said Spring and Autumn are OK and the east coast is relatively free of them. Unfortunately the west coast can be a nightmare. Some people are more susceptible to them than others. (Like me who breaks out in huge lumps with every munch. ) You can buy midgie hoods (about £8) and there are loads of different sprays/creams available. Don't let the midges put you off. Just come prepared.

Happy fishing! :-)

yeti - 2008-01-12 5:35 PM

You want 'Skin so Soft or have Marmite on toast at breakfast. Keep out of the shade and damp area.Midges don't like exposed areas, so keep high up.

:-D thats the Good Stuff " Avon Skin so Soft" its the one in the green plastic bottle, the Forestry workers use it up here, smells nice aswell but fellers if your wearing it dont stand with your hands on your hips, HMMMMMMM nice. 8-)

Hymer C 9. - 2008-01-12 6:13 PM

Thanks for that my Avon's books here so I'll order some, will take citrenella and coils as well, cant't wait to go, but it'll be NEC Birmingham 1st then 1st hint of reasonable weather and we will be off. Thanks Carol.

Have a look, is this availible, SKIN SO SOFT BUG GUARD PLUS IR3535® Disappearing Color SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion

, I saw it in US but cannot seem to find it here.

Archived