The washing.

Brian Kirby

Several people have mentioned the motorhome washing machine.

This is basically a bucket of some sort, into which you put 1 water, 2 your washing, and 3 some detergent.  You then drive to your next destination and, as you travel, the motion of the van sloshes the washing around in the water so, when you arrive, it is washed and only needs  rinsing and drying.  Appealing, no?

Problem is, I don't really trust an open bucket of water sloshing around in a motorhome!

So, kind people, have any of adopted this way of washing?  Do you use a bucket, or is there some purpose made proprietary container with a waterproof lid, how well does it work, and what detergent works best?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Brian,

Don't use the system ourselves but friends have a large plastic container like a small milk churn with a screw lid. They are on the move a lot and the system works well for them.

I've never seen the containers on sale in the UK but they are available on the continent.

Regards

Don

Guest Tracker
Don Madge - 2008-01-10 8:28 AM

Hi Brian,

Don't use the system ourselves but friends have a large plastic container like a small milk churn with a screw lid. They are on the move a lot and the system works well for them.

I've never seen the containers on sale in the UK but they are available on the continent.

Regards

Don

A screw top marine flare container with a wide and watertight neck would do the same job.

As a full-timer I use this system all the time.

It works better than a standard domestic washing machine, but Yes, you do need a bucket with a lid.

I bought a bucket full of bonemeal at Homebase, then chucked out the bonemeal. Four years later it is still doing a good job.

I use any old detergent that happens to be cheap at whatever supermarket I find myself at when I run out.

Rinsing out is a bit of a pain. If your campsite has a spin-dryer, use it: cheap and effective. In the UK winter I finish the drying by using one of those plastic hoops with a carabiner-type hook hanging from the washroom ceiling; then I leave the washroom door open and point the fan heater into it overnight - dry as a bone next morning.

Thanks, one and all, for the responses.  The flare container sounds good.  I'll have to go and investigate those.

Detergent remains a bit of a puzzle.  I assume it needs to be a cold wash type, and ideally a liquid?

I'm assuming we'll continue using sites, so access to rinse water etc not a problem.  I'm also assuming it will generally be nice and sunny, so drying ditto.  Has to be some optimism, doesn't there?  :-)

have a look on www.firstpitch.co.uk they have a purpose built small (two bucket type of thing) twinntub, washes and rinces and spins. There is also a single bucket type for just washing. Spoken with a few that have the twinn tub type and they say they are small but great and work well plus with being able to spin excess water out the washing dries a lot quicker

aaahh - a comedian - another one -

bring 'em on!!

Brian - are you heading off full timing - have I missed something -

personally I would find the rinsing a complete turn off - much prefer my method -

1 buy nice bottle of wine

2 find campsite with wash and super tumble dry facilities

3 bung it all in and turn on

4 open bottle of wine

5 remember to stagger over to laundry from time to time!

:->

B-)

toff - 2008-01-10 10:34 PM

Does anyone have a plumbed in automatic washing machine in their m'home? I am thinking of fulltiming and want to be independent!

Seen it in canada, large US RV's with built in washing m/c's and tumble driers.

Back to the top, please folks.  The question is in the first post. 

No, I'm not after a mechanical device, just a bit of practical advice on a particular idea that others have suggested to me.

Site washing machines?  Unreliable, because they aren't always working/available.  The cost stacks up.  You have to "get in" before someone else, or you miss the opportunity, so seldom convenient.  Not economical for small items/washes.  If you're doing sheets/duvet covers fine, but a couple of shirts etc?  I'm looking for a simple, labour saving, way of dealing with the small bits that actually works.  This sounds as though it might.

Full timing?  No.  But away for 8-12 weeks at a time - so the inevitable has to be faced up to sometime!  Thanks again.

Hi Brian

I solved the problem by buying a plastic dustbin with metal catches that clip over the lid. You can get all different sizes. I use a potato masher on the washing that has been soaking and then when I rinse. It works a treat. I soak washng in Vanish (or equivelant cheaper )powder dissolved in hot water with added liquid detergent and water.

Val

You know those things on the end of your arms? well you can get rubber thing to fit over these called gloves!! they can aggitate soapy water fantasticly and after about five mins you can rinse the clothes hang them up and it saves having buckets of water precariously sloshing about in the back of the van and also saves on weight. :D :-D *-) trust a man to look for an easy option. *-)

Well Brian I agree with Matgaret or Twooksie .

Just do it by hand maybe take along a spin dryer rather than the washing amchine .

Its easy to wash by hand its the drying that takes the fun out of it so to take a spin dryer after a quick spin you would be suprised how much water it gets rid of and takes only a short while to dry .

Thats if you dont want to use tumble dryers on site or in a local village /town . I would think the drying is far more a problem than washing.

as the girls have said - washing may be a pain but the important thing is the rinse [makes all the difference to a good wash believe me] and the drying

neither of which is solved by carting beer barrels around with you

we generally carry enough gear for about 8 - 9 days - the only bugbear about using site facilities is that a lot of the municipals are now charging silly money for the washing powder - which is a non-negotiable part of the deal, so it costs - what 10 euros at most - not that much of an expense surely lads??

B-)

Funny how certain issues bring out the supposedly liberated women, and macho men, isn't it?  This was never a gender issue, it is about washing, one of those boring chores you have to do when away.  Washing, so far as I know, is a question of getting clothes and linen clean? 

In our case we both attack it, and washing and rinsing full sized double sheets is, actually, quite hard work.  We don't always visit sites with machines, and we aren't always within comfortable walking distance of a launderette (most of which in any case seem to have closed these days). 

Since we are away for 2-3 months at a stretch, visiting 30 or more sites as we tour around, we have no choice but to wash as we go.  Where there are working machines that we can use, we usually do, but I do think some of the opinions expressed above are based on wishful thinking, rather than experience.  Either that, or some of you get your washing back dirtier than it went in! 

Have you actually looked closely at those oh-so-convenient washing machines you've spotted on sites?  I suspect not, because a quite a few of them are disconnected from power and water, generally knackered, have rusted drums, or are caked with grotty detergent residues.  You use them if you want, but I wouldn't!

So, when someone mentioned a bucket washer we were interested, but didn't quite know what they were actually using.  I now have a better idea what to look for, thanks to (some of!) your answers.  You know who you are, and thank you.

twooks - 2008-01-11 11:28 PM

as the girls have said - washing may be a pain but the important thing is the rinse [makes all the difference to a good wash believe me] and the drying

neither of which is solved by carting beer barrels around with you

we generally carry enough gear for about 8 - 9 days - the only bugbear about using site facilities is that a lot of the municipals are now charging silly money for the washing powder - which is a non-negotiable part of the deal, so it costs - what 10 euros at most - not that much of an expense surely lads??

I take washing tablets you only need to use one or you can get liquid in satchets they take up much less room than a box of powder! I use them if I use the machines on sites but not been abroad yet so do I take it that you have to use their powder?

B-)

Brian Kirby - 2008-01-12 12:35 PM

Funny how certain issues bring out the supposedly liberated women, and macho men, isn't it?  This was never a gender issue, it is about washing, one of those boring chores you have to do when away.  Washing, so far as I know, is a question of getting clothes and linen clean? 

In our case we both attack it, and washing and rinsing full sized double sheets is, actually, quite hard work.  We don't always visit sites with machines, and we aren't always within comfortable walking distance of a launderette (most of which in any case seem to have closed these days). 

Since we are away for 2-3 months at a stretch, visiting 30 or more sites as we tour around, we have no choice but to wash as we go.  Where there are working machines that we can use, we usually do, but I do think some of the opinions expressed above are based on wishful thinking, rather than experience.  Either that, or some of you get your washing back dirtier than it went in! 

Have you actually looked closely at those oh-so-convenient washing machines you've spotted on sites?  I suspect not, because a quite a few of them are disconnected from power and water, generally knackered, have rusted drums, or are caked with grotty detergent residues.  You use them if you want, but I wouldn't!

So, when someone mentioned a bucket washer we were interested, but didn't quite know what they were actually using.  I now have a better idea what to look for, thanks to (some of!) your answers.  You know who you are, and thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OK Brian I get your point! in that case I have seen drums that you can rotate with a handle I cant remember where I saw them but they are aimed at students I think! and they would be a much safer option as I would hate to think how much damage a upturned barrel of water would do to your van.

Wonder Wash Manual Washing Machine (351191)

A hand operated (just crank the handle) washing machine that will wash 4lbs of washing under pressure (you have to shout at it).

RRP: £40

Listen 'ere!

Megastore Price: £34.99 (€51.01)

Sunncamp Portable Washing Machine (CG1000)

A mains powered portable washing machine which is ideal for camping, caravanning, studio flats, holiday homes, etc. Washes and spins up to 1.5kg of clothes (dry weight) using 15 minute washing timer. Can be filled using the inlet hose or directly with jug (drink the cider first). Complete with drain hose. CE approved.

RRP: £60

Cored!

Megastore Price: £49.99 (€72.88)

Sorry brian forgot about the sheets .

these are from the outdoor megagstore.

22135729_wisshywash.jpg.890b083fbba566530969da5ab989b654.jpg

sunncampcg1000.jpg.390d6ed367a067e9606a4e5d429e027b.jpg

Archived