Motorcycle Rear Axle Loading

KeithG

I have read many articles relating to taking a motor scooter on a bike frame, and the effect this would have on rear axle loading due to the leverage effect of the rear overhang.

I have experienced this with my own motorbike rack (bike + rack = 160kg, actual increased rear axle weight = 320kg) and, understanding that the motorbike is only transferring the additional weight from the front axle, I am looking to transfer weight from the rear to the front of the motorhome to counterweight the offset.

As my overall available payload is still healthy, would adding new weight above the front cab (I am thinking of using counterweights) help to achieve this, or would this simply add additional weight to the front axle without changing the additional weight on the rear axle caused by the introduction of the motorbike?

I think it would only add to the front axle, which would be helpful traction wise if you have a front wheel drive 'van but I don't think it will take any weight off the back axle. Think back to your old schooldays (moments about a point) If you search back a couple of years or so there was a big set of posts on this subject.

Guest JudgeMental

Keith, welcome to the forum!

As you say, any weight behind axle because of "Fulcrum" effect is effectively doubled. and you have demonstrated this fact nicely.

Adding weight high up in overcab IMO not a good idea as handling/braking and general safety will be affected. over cab is designed for probably 100kg while static?

You don't say what camper you have, but I would consider a small trailer as a safer option or change the van to one with a garage *-)

Like JudgeMental says, too much weight over the cab could make your van top heavy and cause you some very dangerous problems. There is a well known member of this Forum who carries two motor bikes on his Mercedes Benz motor home, and eventually switched to carrying them on a trailer. That may well be some thing you should seriously consider. Heavy weights behind the rear axle is not a good thing especially if your 'van has a big over hang. Some 'vans have as much as 60% of the wheel base overhang. I'm lucky mine has only about 20%. Best of luck and welcome to the Forum.

Keith what you are suggesting is wrong for several reasons, but first thing first.

You will note those that have replied include there van in 'profile', we have no idea what van you have and people have assumed you have an overcab.

Adding weight to overcab will make handling worse.

To counter act weight on rear axle you would need to add weight as far forward as possible, this would normaly be behind front bumper, for say a Adria 697 SL (I have brouchure to hand thats why I use this) you would need to add around 6x the amount you wish to unload back axle, so to take 100kg off back you would need to add 600kg to front bumper!

If there are large weights at each end of vehicle this will make handling worse.

Ideally you need to move existing weight from behind the rear axle to as far forward as possible. How about the water tank? Can this be moved forward at all? Spare wheel on the front bumper for example like a VW? How much junk have you in rear lockers that could go in the front or even the overcab? Tools, Barbeque?. Where are the leisure batteries? can these go to a front locker?

I have suffered greatly with this problem and have made some good improvements but still ended up with a trailer for the little motorbikes. Next van will be on a 6 tonne twin rear wheel chassis!

Ive got a Laika with about 7ft overhang & by removing the spare wheel from under the rear(28kg) & fixing it behind the front seat I gained 42kg additional capacity on the rear axle.I only carry less than a quarter tank of water & all the weighty things are stashed up front with the light stuff at the rear.The bike (145kg) is still too heavy to mount on the motor so I towed it on a lightweight trailer with all the m/c gear in long boxes made to fit either side of the bike.I positioned the bike to give about 35/40lbs noseweight which probably added about 55lbs load on the rear axle.I think that unless you have a double rear axle or its best to tow it on a trailer,very easy to manhandle if you need to move it around if you dont actually want to unload it.So many of the motorhomes are already too close to the rear axel limit for comfort to start with. *-)

Guest JudgeMental
fred grant - 2008-01-13 7:32 PM

keithg is welcome to borro alice me ansums - that should sort out any inbalance with is bike. mind you my luvvers there should be a fee involved but us will keep it discreet

fulcrumfred

Fred, do you think it wise to pimp out your significant other on an open forum? *-)

Looks like the best bet would be a diet of KFC, McD and Pizza Hut. A few weeks of that and you should balance up nicely. You could then keep the acne cream up front too :-D .

We have our bike in the back garage and chose a tag axle 'van which gives two fulcrums at the rear. I still keep my heavy tool box and the genny as far forward as possible though to try to balance the weight. There again me n er are no shrinking violets so we have a good start.

If, as has been mentioned above, you have a luton please do not be tempted to put extra weight there as you really will throw the 'van out of balance. keep all weight as low as possible.

As any additional weight positioned to counteract the load currently being placed on KeithG's motorhome's rear axle would need to be completely forward of the vehicle's front axle-line, it's hard to picture what design of motorhome would permit this if the 'counterweight' is to be placed over the cab. EXTRA weight positioned anywhere within the vehicle's wheelbase is bound to increase the load on all axles.

(I've this very hazy recollection that, years ago, a sort of single-wheel trailer was available. This was a bit like a reversed A-frame, attaching to the towing vehicle by two 'hinge points', with the supporting wheel caster-ing rather like a wheel on a supermarket trolley. The concept sounds viable for carrying something fairly heavy like a motorbike without placing too much weight on the towing vehicle. Does this sound right, or perhaps I imagined it during one of my LSD trips?)

You are showing your age Uncle Derek! About 60+ years ago our local farmer had one on his car to deliver milk. It was semicircular with the flat side hitched to the car on two ball hitches and as you say one caster action wheel. That was before 'pick-up trucks and milk bottling hygiene laws.

Archived