Motorhome bed's and bad backs

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

I have a bad back. I have no problem sleeping most places except in my new motorhome. EuraMobil advertise bed as “eurotex mattresses" and they have a beech slat frame underneath. Bed is extremely cosy and comfortable but I nearly always wake with my lower back killing me.....My last camper had beech slat frame but a more simple foam mattress - no problem.

Do you think If I put a sheet of MDF under mattress (on top of beech frame) it will help, or do I need a new mattress? Rear bed is two separate 750mm wide frames and mattresses I suppose! will only need to change one mattress. Any recommendations for this as well?

Guest Tracker

You could consider a memory foam overlay. They are about 2" thick and do work well for us as on our home bed which is a little firm - which is fine for some things - but not for comfortable sleeping!

We got ours from Dreams bed shop and a 5' wide one was about £100.

Hubby experienced back problems with (old) foam mattress in our van so I had two new mattresses made by a local bed manufacturer (£100 each). This seems to have helped. Perhaps that's a possibility for you. Don't know if the mattress "toppers" you see advertised would be of any use to you. The problem with back problems and mattresses is that you don't know until you've slept on it whether it's going to suit you or not. Sorry not to be of much help. Hope you resolve it 'cos it's a real pain. :-(

ike

Hi,

I had the exact same pain and having asked around I found the reason it was worse in the van was because there was less room to move so I tended to stay in one position for longer. The same in bed at home as I am fussy about which way I am facing to which way he does, so stay in one place too long. In order to combat this I was told to try the foam topper but not get one too deep as this has the same effect of holding you still for too long and ending up with the same pain.

I got a fairly thin round 1" to 1/2" foam topper from Roseberrys , got it in their sale for £55 along with the Memory foam pillows for £10 which have also helped alot.

Good luck with it , there is nothing worse than painful stooping for the first half hour of the day, puts me off my croissants :-D

take care

Mandy

Judge, apologies if this insults your experience as a Motorhomer but it's not intended. Are you getting your van level? By that I mean level for your particular van. They can look level and the spirit level doesn't lie (or does it?) but our Nuevo can give us both the most horrible back pain if it's only fractions out.

Take 2 recent trips, at Xmas we both returned with aches and the van was pretty well spot on (or so we thought), just back this weekend and if anything the van was on a slight lean but no bad backs!!

This is what I meant about "level for your van", might it help if it's not perfectly level, one way or the other??

Just a few thoughts for you

Martyn

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2008-01-13 2:58 PM

Judge, apologies if this insults your experience as a Motorhomer but it's not intended. Are you getting your van level? By that I mean level for your particular van. They can look level and the spirit level doesn't lie (or does it?) but our Nuevo can give us both the most horrible back pain if it's only fractions out.

Take 2 recent trips, at Xmas we both returned with aches and the van was pretty well spot on (or so we thought), just back this weekend and if anything the van was on a slight lean but no bad backs!!

This is what I meant about "level for your van", might it help if it's not perfectly level, one way or the other??

Just a few thoughts for you

Martyn

It is a fair comment Martyn but the other side of that coin is that it makes no difference at all to us how level the van is when we are in bed - other than a tendency for us both to end up in a heap at the lowest point if the slope is too severe!

I know that this is a bit of a long shot, but if ever you go on a package holiday say Tenerife / Lanzorite any of those places they do blanket trips, which is a free tour around the island and you watch a demo of foam mattress and pure wool products now the point I'm getting to is they do wonderful sleeping bags of pure sheepskin they are a bit pricey about £140 thereabouts, but we have one laid out under out sheet on the bed sleep on it , takes any ackes and pains away, keeps you cool in summer and warm in the winter, somehow it keeps your body heat at the right temprature, dont know how ist works but it does. Carol.

Memory foam is quite dense and heavy. We have a memory foam topper which improved our aches. It is only 3cm thick, double bed size, from Argos. However, because I roll it up and store it in the Luton when the bed becomes seating I am very glad I didn't get a thicker one - it is quite heavy to lift. Don't want to do your back in lifting the cure!

Incidentally we found our single bed duvet covers fit the double bed topper really neatly as removable washable covers and you don't then need a bottom sheet.

We also have a mem foam mattress at home and are very pleased with it (from http://www.thememoryfoammattressfirm.co.uk/)

What works for some doesn't for others, but here's my experience.

At home we have slatted base and firmish mattress, tried a 2" memory foam top and it made my back ache.

In van we have solid base, firm mattress and 2" ribbed soft foam (similier to eggbox) works for me.

I get a similar problem from time to time and it is a postural thing.

Try putting a bit of board under the mattress where you bum would be, or try using a thicker or thinner pillow. Those sorts of things change the angle between my spine and my pelvis.

Works for me-good luck to you

Personally I would not bother with Memory Foam "toppers". A long time back we decided that bed areas need to be permanent so purchased a bespoke thick memory foam mattress. It was so good that we subsequently purchased another for the house. The base is a sheet of hardboard laying over the top of the slats. In effect its SOLID!

Having just enjoyed a long weekend in the New Forest my better half pointed out that it was the best two nights sleep she has had in a long time and what is even more strange that I didn't snore!!(Must be the G&T)

We got the memory foam mattresses from a bloke named Martin Ashmore

Contact details

Unit 3, 555 Sutton Road

Southend-on-Sea

Essex SS2 5FB

Tel/Fax: 01702 – 614421

Mon – Sun 10am until 4pm

By appointment only due to factory environment

Sales Line: 01268 – 778767

Mon – Sun 8am until 8pm

His mobile is 07791-605722

C.

Guest Tracker
I suppose if your bed at home is right for you what might cure the problem is an identical mattress for the 'van - adjusted for size?

JudgeMental:

Although a 660HB's rear bed is large (for a motorhome) it is fully bounded by rigid bulkheads on 3 of its sides and mostly bounded on the 4th. This will inevitably constrict movement when occupied by two people, particularly if they are in the habit of overlapping their domestic bed-edges with knees, elbows, feet, etc.

A 'eurotex' mattress seems to be about as good as they come (see http://thebeddinggroup.com/Eurotex.htm for claimed benefits), so there's probably an incompatibility between your bad back and the mattress's density. Your proposal to put a board beneath the mattress suggests that you think it may be too soft at present. If the slatted under-frame is currently softening the mattress further (rather than just providing ventilation) then adding a board might help, otherwise it's likely to be a waste of time.

I think you'll just have to sleep it and see...

Guest JudgeMental

I will try the board first and see how that goes as it is cheapest option....

Going to Brugge for a few days Feb half term and will try it out there.

thanks all, for the suggestions :-D

We use a Memory Foam Topper in the Van and must say my back is a lot better and to go to bed is an absolute pleasure. We got ours from Roseby's if you have one near you, they from time to time have then discounted and we got ours for just under £50. Even full price they are under £100. Now got one at home.

davenewell@home - 2008-01-13 5:14 PM

The problem here eddie is that there are a hundred (or more) reasons for back ache/pain and a hundred (or more) solutions. As Colin said earlier, what works for one doesn't for others. Happy hunting for the solution to your own unique problem.

D.

Ed,

Dave is quite correct we suffered all the time to the point that hubby used to get up early hours and lay on the floor down by the side of the seats.

I suffered so bad that I couldnt straighten up for days to the point I would walk down the street looking like I had had a major op or something .

We bought a memory foam topper and it did seem to get better but it wasnt long and it was back . I think the memory foam just made it softer and it was an illusion .

We took off the memory foam and put it on our bed at home one day thinking it would help as we were both suffering spoke to a doctor friend of ours who explained that as you get older your back doesnt work the same way there are hundreds of probs why your back will not do it.

Anyway we now still have the memory foam on our bed at home nothing on the camper and I can't remember the last time I was bent over double or him ? Funny that 8-)

I was told Wear and Tear for my "bad Back" and I,m frightened to mention it in todays world of shirkers, as its a case of not another one. But I have found a Duvet folded under the length my back does help, it only eases the pain/Ache not shift it ,when it gets too bad I move the duvet around till I find it more comfortable, other than that Movlat cream or gel, Ibrufen rub, and finally Tens Machine, apparently If you lay on your front and two naked virgins dance on your back it supposed to Help. but were are you going to get two virgins at two oclock in the morning, ? 8-)

Corky *-)

Guest Tracker
Corky 8 - 2008-01-14 10:41 AM

I was told Wear and Tear for my "bad Back" and I,m frightened to mention it in todays world of shirkers, as its a case of not another one. But I have found a Duvet folded under the length my back does help, it only eases the pain/Ache not shift it ,when it gets too bad I move the duvet around till I find it more comfortable, other than that Movlat cream or gel, Ibrufen rub, and finally Tens Machine, apparently If you lay on your front and two naked virgins dance on your back it supposed to Help. but were are you going to get two virgins at two oclock in the morning, ? 8-)

Corky *-)

Where are you going to get two virgins at ANY time?

Answers on the back of a used tenner please!

JudgeMental:

Well I was loading up our log-burner this morning, the rug spread in front of the hearth to minimise spark damage caught my eye. This is about 5'0" x 2'6" and, due to its hessian back, is quite stiff across its width. I thought to myself that this could well offer a better alternative to a rigid board beneath your mattress, as it was about the right size for the 'body area' of half a 660HB's bed and would conform more readily to the curved shape of the slats. As it could be rolled up, it would also be a lot more manageable than a large sheet of board and, because the slats are quite close together, I don't think there would be any possibility for it to 'sag' between them . A piece of hessian-backed carpet (or perhaps a Flotex offcut) should be equally effective.

Tracker - 2008-01-14 4:08 PM

Corky 8 - 2008-01-14 10:41 AM

Corky *-)

Where are you going to get two virgins at ANY time?

Answers on the back of a used tenner please!

8-) You Dont Mean theres None in Pembrokeshire do you Tracker ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2008-01-14 6:40 PM

JudgeMental:

Well I was loading up our log-burner this morning, the rug spread in front of the hearth to minimise spark damage caught my eye. This is about 5'0" x 2'6" and, due to its hessian back, is quite stiff across its width. I thought to myself that this could well offer a better alternative to a rigid board beneath your mattress, as it was about the right size for the 'body area' of half a 660HB's bed and would conform more readily to the curved shape of the slats. As it could be rolled up, it would also be a lot more manageable than a large sheet of board and, because the slats are quite close together, I don't think there would be any possibility for it to 'sag' between them . A piece of hessian-backed carpet (or perhaps a Flotex offcut) should be equally effective.

Mmm... I have a couple of camping sleeping mats - they are in the attic somewhere.....they are a roll about 10 mm thick. perhaps worth a try :-D

I had serious back operation in 2004 and have had a memory topper on both mattress at home and in the Motorhome since my operation.

I got them from Raskelf they advertise in the caravan/camping magazine quite regularly.

In my opinion I find they were the best buy since sliced bread and would recomend them to anyone.

We use the over cab bed and Raskelf do a portable one that fits perfect and is 1" thick ( home one is 2" thick).

They are supplied with a nice cover and you can purchase a fitted poly cotton cover extra.

Give one a try you will see a difference and will want one at home too.

Good Luck

Just a passing thought about using a board over the existing bed slats. (which may or may not be good thing for your back)

Don't thing anyone has raised this.

There will be little or no ventilation under between the mattress and board and could cause moisture, mould and damp build up under the mattress. (just the conditions bed mites love)

Rgds

Archived