autocruise v autotrail

Guest Colette Wallace

Guest Colette Wallace
would be interested in comments on the relative points of the autocruise range versus the autotrail.we have been looking ,in depth,at them at the bath and west show .our interest lies in the two berth models with the two long settees that can be either 2 singles or 1 big double. to our inexperienced eyes they both seem equally good .we will be buying used vehicles.thanks for any input

We have an Autotrail. But I also understand that Autocruise are thought of equally well by the people who know about these things. Both companies listen to their customers, quite a few others don,t seem to do as well in this respect! From a personal viewpoint the Autocruise design looks a bit old fashioned whereas the Autotrails look more modern. Its whatever takes your fancy for styling. For example the back of the later Autocruises look like someone has put a hot lamp above them and the plastic has melted a bit and run. Have a look and you will see what I mean. BUT The base vehicle is something you need to think about. My biased viewpoint would put the pecking order like this :- Mercedes (pre common rail Sprinters are more reliable as there is less electronics to go wrong and its a bigger engine working not so hard, 312D like ours for example). VW LT35 Iveco Ford Transit later models with chain cam engines. Renault And then the cheaper Peugeot / Fiat base. No doubt I have missed some out?? If you want to minimise your outlay then its Fiat Peugeot. But don,t expect good service from their dealerships. (look at the many posts on this forum alone on this) If you want some nice engineering then Merc / VW etc. (Service world wide that is supreme) Its your money. What price enjoyment and satisfaction?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wilf Nicholson
Dear Colette, Decision time. After 9 motorhomes in 16 years I went for an Autocruise Wentworth in December 2001. After 1200 miles and over 25 problems, 11 of which meant we could not use the vehicle I was beaten and before insanity set in I got shot of it earlier this year. Autocruise were always straight their to rectify the problems but it was so bad even down to all the lockers turning grey which meant a re-spray. After having 2 German vans in the past I have now decided that British rubbish is of no use at over £40,000 and upto now my German vehicle is living upto my expectations. Many say they have not had a problem but dont like you to think they have. I was talking to an Autocruise owner in August, he was in the North and heading for the Autocruise Factory for minor repairs. After a few days of casual chat he told me the van needed a complete rear end and part roof and rain was pouring into the gas locker causing the seats to be wet, but that in his mind was OK because they were going to repair it. Good luck with your choice and I am now convinced they are all a gamble. Regards, Wilf

Guest Colette Wallace
many thanks to all for the interesting comments ,it has given even more food for thought.It seemed to us on examination at various dealers that although our original preference was for aHymer the Autocruise and Trail had better woodwork and storage space andthe layout for the price (second Hand)more to our liking.However these new comments have rather stirred up things.Do Ipresume every one is talking about buying new so that these could be teething troubles that will have been got rid of ina used model ? Any more thoughts out there ?

Archived