Major Fiat/Peueot/Citroen problems

AndyStothert

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know if this will shed any light on the judder with the clutch engaged issue, but our Transit, which shares the Peugeot/Cirroen 2.2 litre engine, doen exhibit some odd characteristics when asked for moderate power from around 1,500 rpm.  The first is a very "rough" phase, when each piston stroke seems apparent, and the second a tendency to kangaroo unless a lower gear is engaged.  This seems entirely due to the engine management system, and I gather may be a consequence of chasing Euro 4 emissions standards at lower revs.  Similar roughness and eneven running could easily be multiplied by engine mountings and, when reversing uphill, you can't easily get rid of the problem by dropping a gear.  As all reversing requires care, and few of us would choose to do this at higher revs, working around the problem would become very difficult.  Speculation, of course, but does this make sense to anyone else?

Derek, Just a quickie. Before I start quoting your interesting story on O'Riley will you please confirm that it IS true .... as gullible Joy here is daft enough to believe anything and then feels daft after quoting it. Believed there was a worm in the end of a cat's tail till I was about 12 and that's why it quivered!! :-( Thank you and sorry for deviating slightly from thread topic. Joy

For what it is worth the Caravan Club article from June 2008 is on this webpage http://www.seered.co.uk/fiat.htm. I'll leave it there for a month or so.

If anyone was sold a motorhome after Fiat and or their dealers reasonably knew of the problem they should be able to get their money back - I got this advice from Honest John of the Telegraph. A vehicle that cannot, without shaking itself to bits, travel backwards uphill when almost fully laden (as motorhomes often are even when they are empty!!) is not fit for purpose.

Hi, Just back from my maiden voyage in my new Cheyenne 660 on a 130 FIAT. We had to reverse to turn round on an incline of about 1 in 3, (rough guess). It was only about the length of the van of actual movement, but there was no judder or vibration at all.

The only time it did struggle was on a slope on the CL site but that was purely down to damp grass. There was what you could call a judder then, but nothing that would damage anything. I just rolled back a bit and drove across the slope until I reached an area of soil and got grip and everything was fine. I went back to look at the grass and there was "skid marks" in the grass where the tyres had slipped.

Everything else, forwards, backwards, cruise control, clutch use and gears were a dream to use.

So mark me down as one, (so far!), happy FIAT user.

It really makes you wonder doesn't it? I mean Andy Stotherts' gearbox blew, what, 12 months ago?

It's not like any of his media colleagues won't have heard of his woes so why has no one at MMM, when testing a Sevel based van performed a reverse hill start?

Or have they and are not, for legal reasons or whatever, I'm no solicitor, been allowed to print the results?

Martyn

Apparently they don't get a fuel allowance, so when they pick up the vehicle for testing unless there is sufficient diesel in it to get them to a hill then it doesn't go to one. They put enough fuel do do the test in the area they are in and if there are no hills there then they can't drive up 'em! Some test drives are only done over 20-50 miles in total. So what value value the test reports now?

Tomo3090 - 2008-06-11 5:04 PM

Apparently they don't get a fuel allowance, so when they pick up the vehicle for testing unless there is sufficient diesel in it to get them to a hill then it doesn't go to one. They put enough fuel do do the test in the area they are in and if there are no hills there then they can't drive up 'em! Some test drives are only done over 20-50 miles in total. So what value value the test reports now?

This is not entirely true I'm afraid. While road testers do not get a fuel allowance they do use the vehicles (most of them anyway, the in brief tests are exactly that, in brief) for living in. Many, many times when we've been to shows one or more of the MMM test team turn up in one test vehicle or another.

A couple of years ago we had the Mobilvetta Kimu long term test vehicle for a couple of months, the next tester took it to Germany etc.

Very few of the MMM test vehicles only get a 20-50 mile test, oh yes that'll be the In brief tests I mentioned earlier.

D.

Dave, I'm only repeating what I was told by someone who does vehicle tests for "A well known motorhome magazine"! The person told me that they do have access to a long term test vehicle but in a lot of cases vans are provided by a dealer or van builder and are tested for a short time, maybe a week-end, depending on what publishing timetable their respective magazine is working to.

I have noticed since then that the same vehicle does turn up in a different magazine from time to time. The most noticable one was the new comfortmatic gear box on the FIAT that was test driven on the same SWIFT van by 3 different mags.

Star Dreamer - 2008-06-10 4:45 PM

Hi Mike

Re Sevel Product & Autocruise

I bought a secondhand Stardream 2000 W reg 18 months ago. I have never heard of Sevel based vans and wondered if you knew if the Stardream had that base. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fiat, Pugeot and Citreon are pretty much the same van, and are refered to as Sevel vans "Société Européenne de Véhicules Légers SpA (European Society of Lightweight Vehicles)" Your van will be an earlier model and not the X250 which this thread refers to

Tomo3090 - 2008-06-11 8:07 PM

I have noticed since then that the same vehicle does turn up in a different magazine from time to time. The most noticable one was the new comfortmatic gear box on the FIAT that was test driven on the same SWIFT van by 3 different mags.

You sound surprised by this. Did you really expect the manufacturers to give out three different vehicles for test?

As for the other bit it would be a good idea to check your facts before repeating something someone told you, regardless of who they are. some mags may be limited on the time they have access to a particular 'van but I know for a fact that most of the MMM road tests are carried out over at least a couple of days/nights away in the vehicle.

D.

Read all the recent comments about road tests and it seems that Dave is defending the absense of reverse gear testing. This problem has been known about for a long time now, so why do the magazines not include a reverse uphill to inform us their customers. I know the argument re advertisers revenue but pose the question would " A magazine full of adverts and no content sell. I think not!!!. so come on mag's be honest prove the judder exist it or not.

mike 202 - 2008-06-12 8:28 AM

Read all the recent comments about road tests and it seems that Dave is defending the absense of reverse gear testing. This problem has been known about for a long time now, so why do the magazines not include a reverse uphill to inform us their customers. I know the argument re advertisers revenue but pose the question would " A magazine full of adverts and no content sell. I think not!!!. so come on mag's be honest prove the judder exist it or not.

Errr no "Dave" is not defending anything of the sort, simply attempting to put the facts straight.

Personally I have "tested" about a dozen or more of the X2/50 vans and I have yet to find one with a judder/vibration worth being worried about! Of course this could be because I have not tried them on a steep enough hill!

Do you own one of these vehicles? does it judder? If the answer is yes to both of these questions then perhaps you would be prepared to visit my workshop and let me try it, I'd really like to experience this judder/vibration first hand and then I might be able to form some sort of sensible opinion as to what might be causing it rather than mere conjecture.

D.

SORRY Dave, I did not mean to offend, I realise that you are championing the cause, without guys like you where would we be?

Yes I do have a new Fiat X2/50 - 130 and it has a slight judder, just getting a bit paranoid about useing it and having problems abroad and wish Fiat would come clean.

so I hope that you will accept my apologies

Regards

Mike

Archived