Major Fiat/Peueot/Citroen problems

AndyStothert

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, there appears to be just one person 'on the dark side' >:-) ;-) who has been 'told' of a recall but nobody else knows about it, mind you even if there is one bet most vans will be classed as being acceptable.

Below is a post from the Fiat Forum re Juddergate in replt to my post asking for info on the possible recall for the problem.

Re: Reversing Judder X250

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Colin,

It seems that the stories about replacement flywheels etc are only that.

Stories!!!

I contacted the dealer where I bought my van, only to be told that as of the 23rd of June there is still no solution to the problem, nor any replacement parts. This was the official response from Fiat to the service manager.

We will just have to live in hope.

Still chuffed with the van, when it isn`t rattling my teeth!!

Dave Newell, Yes I own a 'Judderer'. I live in Crewe, Cheshire. Where are you? I would be prepared to visit you provided the distance is not too far (price of diesel!) and you don't wreck my 'van. I've just spent 4 enjoyable weeks in the Pyrenees without too many reversing manouvers.

Regards, Colin Weston

Brian Kirby - 2008-06-05 11:09 AM

Don't know if this will shed any light on the judder with the clutch engaged issue, but our Transit, which shares the Peugeot/Cirroen 2.2 litre engine, doen exhibit some odd characteristics when asked for moderate power from around 1,500 rpm.  The first is a very "rough" phase, when each piston stroke seems apparent, and the second a tendency to kangaroo unless a lower gear is engaged.  This seems entirely due to the engine management system, and I gather may be a consequence of chasing Euro 4 emissions standards at lower revs.  Similar roughness and eneven running could easily be multiplied by engine mountings and, when reversing uphill, you can't easily get rid of the problem by dropping a gear.  As all reversing requires care, and few of us would choose to do this at higher revs, working around the problem would become very difficult.  Speculation, of course, but does this make sense to anyone else?

Hello Brian,

I have read of these rough and flat spots in the past and the owners have had a cure performed by means of the mapping being corrected.

It does ask the question as to how the original mapping can be so incorrect.

Wilbury

Errr no "Dave" is not defending anything of the sort, simply attempting to put the facts straight.

Personally I have "tested" about a dozen or more of the X2/50 vans and I have yet to find one with a judder/vibration worth being worried about! Of course this could be because I have not tried them on a steep enough hill!

Do you own one of these vehicles? does it judder? If the answer is yes to both of these questions then perhaps you would be prepared to visit my workshop and let me try it, I'd really like to experience this judder/vibration first hand and then I might be able to form some sort of sensible opinion as to what might be causing it rather than mere conjecture.

D.

Hello Dave,

You are giving the impression that unless you experience something first hand it can not exist. Most would consider that your request for owners of faulty vehicles to present them for your personal appraisal to be rather churlish.

If you truly doubt that the problem exists, perhaps you could contact the chassis manufacturers who I understand are issuing a repare and recall.

Wilbury

Wilbury - 2008-07-02 10:00 AM

Errr no "Dave" is not defending anything of the sort, simply attempting to put the facts straight.

Personally I have "tested" about a dozen or more of the X2/50 vans and I have yet to find one with a judder/vibration worth being worried about! Of course this could be because I have not tried them on a steep enough hill!

Do you own one of these vehicles? does it judder? If the answer is yes to both of these questions then perhaps you would be prepared to visit my workshop and let me try it, I'd really like to experience this judder/vibration first hand and then I might be able to form some sort of sensible opinion as to what might be causing it rather than mere conjecture.

D.

Hello Dave,

You are giving the impression that unless you experience something first hand it can not exist. Most would consider that your request for owners of faulty vehicles to present them for your personal appraisal to be rather churlish.

If you truly doubt that the problem exists, perhaps you could contact the chassis manufacturers who I understand are issuing a repare and recall.

Wilbury

Hi Wilbury, how interesting that ones words can be so misunderstood. My point was, as I said in the final paragraph of my post, I can't and won't try to formulate a suggestion as to what may be causing the judder or how it can be rectified until I've experienced it first hand. As I stated, of the dozen or more vans I've tried none of them presented anything more than a slightly annoying vibration when reversing up my test hill. Also worth pointing out perhaps that none of those owners complained of significant judder.

Does this mean I don't beleive anyone has a judderer? Absolutely NOT! All it means is that either I haven't found one wirth a bad case of the judders or my test hill is not steep enough.

My request for the owner of a judderer to "present them for your personal appraisal" was a little tongue in cheek but if anyone would like to I'll be more than happy to "test" it (and I promise not to break it, honest ;-) ). You see Wibury, if someone who has a known judderer could let me try it I would then have first hand experience of the fault and MIGHT just be able to offer some ideas as to what is the root cause and therefore lead towards a possible solution.

Colin Weston, I'm in Telford in Shropshire so only about an hour or so from you, full address is on my website, just click on the www button down there on the left :-)

D.

mr newell fitted a couple of bits an pieces for me over the last couple of days, i had to park my van on the bottom of a steep gradient near his shop,(nowhere else to park!) loaded the 180kg motorbike into the garage (garage has a 250kg limit!) and had to reverse up the steep gradient, maybe 20mtrs, nothing, no vibes, no probs.

07 fiat 160 multijet

ps; thanks Dave, very tidy job, will let you know how they work out

mark lambert - 2008-07-04 9:27 PM

mr newell fitted a couple of bits an pieces for me over the last couple of days, i had to park my van on the bottom of a steep gradient near his shop,(nowhere else to park!) loaded the 180kg motorbike into the garage (garage has a 250kg limit!) and had to reverse up the steep gradient, maybe 20mtrs, nothing, no vibes, no probs.

07 fiat 160 multijet

ps; thanks Dave, very tidy job, will let you know how they work out

Cheers Mark, never even thought to try your 'van, just too busy at the moment. Glad you're pleased with the work, I'm sure you'll get to grips with the satellite TV stuff ;-) .

D.

Dear Andy,

I bought a new Fiat Ace Siena in May. It has now done nearly 500 miles and I recently tried reversing uphill. There was no clutch judder but a slight vibration which seemed to come from the van itself, not the engine.

I tried it a few times,but ok so far. It was a definite hill, but not very steep. The engine is the 2.2litre 100bhp.

Hi

My experiences with the 'Sevel Judder'.

I ordered my Hymer B524SL (FiatMulti Jet 130) approx July '07 in Belgium.

Soon after ordering I began to hear about the 'Sevel Judder'

The retailer did not wish to take my old van in part ex. but agreed to hold new model until I had sold it. Due to all sorts of problems selling old van I did not take delivery of new one till April '08,

Sure enough, in reverse, there was a judder. this was worse up hill, the steeper the hill the worse the judder. I tried to keep it at 1300 RPM but as i had to look in mirrors I do not know how successful I was

We set off for a few weeks to France & Spain. I find myself on a Autovia, right road, wrong direction, as you do! However a road sign indicated a slip road going under the road to the other carriageway. Unfortunately, when we got down to the bridge it was 2.8 Metre I was 3, so I had to judder my way back to our side again.

Since then I have 'lost synchromesh' on 2nd gear, ie I canott move from 3rd into 2nd without serious grinding unless I am almost at a standstill. This is the only fault apart from the judder .

Andy said he needed a new gearbox but I do not know what constitutes a gearbox failure

Fiat commercial dealership quick!!  Loss of synchromesh is certainly a gearbox failure.  Could be clutch adjustment after your reversing exploits, but I can't see why/how that would affect only 3 to 2 downshifts.  Changing 1 to 2 is less demanding on the synchro, as it only has to slow the internals, not accelerate them, so you may not notice the problem changing up.

Archived