Motorhome Idle - chance for maintenance?

bobgarden

Our motorhome (pilote galaxy 270) is not wandering this winter and so is currently off the road. While it is straightforward to keep the batteries in trim and check for damp, what do I do for the engine(peugeot 2.8) if anything?

Before I get under way again - a new set of tyres is required (straight forward) but what can I do about the scruffy rusted pitted steel wheels - any suggestions (constructive please) ??

Bob

Hi Bob and welcome.

Two things.  It's a good idea to give the vehicle a good run out every couple of weeks to keep things lubricated, prevent flat spots on the tyres and to keep it in general good order.  It doesn't need to be too far but enough to get it up to its normal working temperature.

With regard to the issue with rust on the wheels, why not try rubbing them down, treat with anti rust 'stuff' and paint with Hammerite.

W2G

If it will have been stood for a while have it serviced as soon as it is 'un'sorned assuming, of course, that you haven't done it already this winter. Oils and other fliud break down over time and so the fresher they are when you start using the vehicle again the better. This is also true of the additives in fuel but the contradiction here is that the less space you leave in your fuel tank the less likely you are of having water condense in there and contaminate the fuel.

Thanks Cronkle

It sounds as though I should do nothing to the engine as I plan to have the tyres changed, engine serviced and MOT during Feb ready for the off early March. There is about 3/4 tank of fuel.

So I better get on with painting the wheels.

Bob

Guest JudgeMental

If you have a/c if not run regularly it will destroy the seals....there is oil in refrigerant which needs to circulates and lubricate system.

Same goes for vehicle generally, engine /cooling system/ bearings/brakes/ suspension etc.... commercial vehicles are designed to be run to the limit

left standing does them no good at all. best to take for a run now and then

Hi, Bob

If it is of any interest to you, I have 2 steel wheels off of a 2006 Autotrail Fiat for a tenner each. These had only done 3000 miles. . Replaced my 6 with Alloys, friend had 4.

We are planning to come to CC site at Wellington week of Monday 18th February, so if interested could bring them with us.

Regards

Gerry

bobgarden - 2008-01-18 12:57 PM

Our motorhome (pilote galaxy 270) is not wandering this winter and so is currently off the road. While it is straightforward to keep the batteries in trim and check for damp, what do I do for the engine(peugeot 2.8) if anything?

Before I get under way again - a new set of tyres is required (straight forward) but what can I do about the scruffy rusted pitted steel wheels - any suggestions (constructive please) ??

Bob

Hi Bob nice to meet up with another G270 owner. Although you don't mention the year of manufacture the state of your wheels and tyres suggests the 'van might be a few years old so my comment would be to make sure the service includes age related as well a mileage related items - replacement of a timing belt would be a case in point. I'd also book the service well ahead just in case some nasties are found that require parts to be ordered.

Finally, although you live in warmer climes than up here I'd give the water system a thorough check over well ahead of departure to ensure that the recent cold nights haven't frozen anything - again parts availability could be an issue.

Apart from that all the best for your trip - March ain't so far away - lucky B!

Vernon

Hi Eddie, Gerry and Vernon

Just went out to walk the dog and when I got back all these responses.

Well - plenty to think about there - thank you all.

I'll take these things on board and if I need more help or want to take up that offer I will get in touch again if I may.

Regards

Bob

Archived