alpine skiing in france

jondiane

H i Jon&diane, Having just returned from a fab skiing trip (may I recomend my blog)

I feel more then qualified to offer you some advice on this subject, mainly from the answers I was given myself.

Firstly your van. You have to ascertain if your water tanks are internal or external. If your internal fresh water tank is internal you should not have any problems supplying fresh water. If your waste tank is external then you may need to leave your waster open and drop straight in to a bucket. If your pipes are external they are likely to Freeze. I got over this problem by ensuring I poured boiling water down the sink(s) at night and in the AM. Should they freeze a good hairdryer and extension lead will be required. You will also need to make sure that you have snow chains for your van and also make sure you know how to fit them. If required you need to be able to put them on very quickly. Make sure you take plenty of Gaz with you or ensure you have means to be able to buy when on site.

You do not mention what country you intend to visit. If you would like to go to France then I can highly recommend this site http://www.camping-isertan.com/anglais/hiver/webcame.php Although quite expensive £29 per night (discounts for 7days or more and CC members) the site is less than a five min walk to the lifts and the resort itself. The facilities are A1 and in total 600 miles from calais. A full day and arriving quite early the next day. I would also recomend this site for finding others http://web.mac.com/kevbatchelor/Ski_Motorhome/Welcome.html

as a lot of sites depend very much on snow I would suggest you look at a few and decide a couple of days prior to your travels. There is a good site at http://www.labresse-remy.com/ however this does suffer from a lack of snow.

We had a truly fantastic time skiing at pralognan and first timers it suited us brilliant. A couple of greens, a couple of blues, a few reds and a couple of black. We also looked at Less saises and thought that OK but quite larrge for our requirements. Skiing in a motorhome can be done, it's great fun and well worth the experience. Wherever you choose enjoy yourself and if I can be of any further help please ask.

Paul

Hi,

Just a thought. The time you are going has its good points and its bad. The good point is that the French holidays will be over so there will be very little queuing at the lifts and the Aires and campsites will be in the low season. Personally I would trawl through the forums and read the info but you may have to go back some time. There wis quite a bit of information on the Motorhome facts website, look for sporting and click skiing. kevin batchelors webb site suggested by Panagh above is good as well and there are some good articles by Ruth Bass in a rival magazine practical Motorhome just research the back numbers (sorry MMM). On the negative side you are going at the end of the season and places like Grand bornand at 1000metres will be too low. You will need to go higher where it is colder and the snow hasn't melted. Above 1500metres should do. Another drawback is that although you might get afrost at night it usually means that the snow gets icey on the surface. On the other hand you might get more sun but that melts the snow and makes it slushy in the afternoon. Choosing you destination will be the key to enjoying yourself. Being on acampsite might appear to be good but if you discover that you don't like the skiing its very difficult to pull out. Using Aires will give you independence. You can move at will. Always have other options that you have researched so you can move on confidant in having some knowledge.

Finally I would aim for Les Saises. Good campsite or two good Aires right on the slopes No walking to get skiing. Its high at 2000metres the slopes are green excellent and long, blue, excellent and even longer, red, steep and challenging. You can ski all day without repeating yourself too often and the food is relatively cheap. Campsite Le Tetras 24Euros low season including electric,,, Walk 15 metres and ski off onto the pistes or the Aires 6-50 a night water and toilet dump easily accessible. Go to their webbsite and see the webcams and info. you will not be disappointed.

Ned

We haven't been skiing with our Euramobil before but are going in MArch to Bourg St MAurice Camping Versoyen, which was recommended to us. Skiing is at Les Arcs or LA Plagne, there is a campsite minibus to take you there and returns later to collect, also somewhere on this furum site I read that there is a place where you can leave your skis and boots - run by English people. That means I can walk around in comfor when I've had enough for the day.

Happy Skiing!!

Archived